IGNORED

Squealing/whining sound

I posted this before...tried a couple things..problem still exists.

First of all, it ain't the woman on the back coz I've had 3 different ones and I really can't believe they all squeal exactly the same and at exactly the same time!

:sign20:

Here's the problem... when doing a tight right curve such as one of those you'd find in a freeway on/off ramp at a good clip (around 100 km/h), I get this squealing/whining sound. It only appears under this condition and it seems that if I'm not leaning quite enough or leaning too far, it goes away. In other words, while making the corner, I change the lean angle of the bike and the squeal goes away...put the lean angle back to what it was and there's the squeal again. This doesn't happen in a left curve. It's also less obvious without a passenger (but still exists). It also doesn't happen doing the same curve at a slower speed.

Here's what I've done... changed both front and rear wheel bearings. Changed rear rotor. Cleaned and re-greased rear wheel. All internal components in rear wheel appear in good shape.

Anyone experience this and/or have any clue what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Sure it's not tire noise? I know mine make more noise in tight curves. Hard to tell without listening to it.

I was wondering about that myself but it seems too "loud" so I ruled it out. It's like going from no sound to a medium "whine" and as soon as I'm off that "angle", it's totally gone. This has really got me stumped but at the same time, it's bugging me to know what the h*ll it is.

I was wondering about that myself but it seems too "loud" so I ruled it out. It's like going from no sound to a medium "whine" and as soon as I'm off that "angle", it's totally gone. This has really got me stumped but at the same time, it's bugging me to know what the h*ll it is.

What brand of tires are you running? How loud is it? I've heard some pretty loud tires at a steep angle before.

I posted this before...tried a couple things..problem still exists.

First of all, it ain't the woman on the back coz I've had 3 different ones and I really can't believe they all squeal exactly the same and at exactly the same time!

:sign20:

Here's the problem... when doing a tight right curve such as one of those you'd find in a freeway on/off ramp at a good clip (around 100 km/h), I get this squealing/whining sound. It only appears under this condition and it seems that if I'm not leaning quite enough or leaning too far, it goes away. In other words, while making the corner, I change the lean angle of the bike and the squeal goes away...put the lean angle back to what it was and there's the squeal again. This doesn't happen in a left curve. It's also less obvious without a passenger (but still exists). It also doesn't happen doing the same curve at a slower speed.

Here's what I've done... changed both front and rear wheel bearings. Changed rear rotor. Cleaned and re-greased rear wheel. All internal components in rear wheel appear in good shape.

Anyone experience this and/or have any clue what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Could a bearing in the swingarm or upper shock bushing being worn cause enough angle in the rear wheel to cause the disk to rub when the right angle and pressure is applied to it? Any wear marks on the rear disk?

I do not know, just pulled someting out of my ***.

SOmeone riding next to you may help pinpoint a more direct location of where it might be coming from.

heh, that would make kewl video of two first gens laying over in a sweeper next to each other!

What brand of tires are you running? How loud is it? I've heard some pretty loud tires at a steep angle before.

Avon VenomX

hard to articulate how loud it is... think of the sound you'd get running your wet finger around the edge of a wine glass...something like that kinda sorta...

Avon VenomX

hard to articulate how loud it is... think of the sound you'd get running your wet finger around the edge of a wine glass...something like that kinda sorta...

Well, Venoms aren't really a loud tire. Probably is something else then.

Hopefully your description will help someone else pinpoint it.

Any wear marks on the rear disk?

You mean rotor...right? The rotor is new and shows no wear signs.

SOmeone riding next to you may help pinpoint a more direct location of where it might be coming from.

heh, that would make kewl video of two first gens laying over in a sweeper next to each other!

Yep...that's a good idea... I could get someone to be running to the left of me soas when he's leaned, his ear would be close to my bike!!!

:sign just kidding:

You could try to put her in the lean and GET the noise and just BARELY ease in the rear brake to see if the sound is affected.

You can also increase (decrease?) the rear air and see if there is a change?

I had a load whine on medium sweepers... fortunately I was due for a new rear and that whine was left with the dealer... there was the "slightest" edge on the left side where the "flat area" transitioned to the side.

You could try to put her in the lean and GET the noise and just BARELY ease in the rear brake to see if the sound is affected.

You can also increase (decrease?) the rear air and see if there is a change?

I had a load whine on medium sweepers... fortunately I was due for a new rear and that whine was left with the dealer... there was the "slightest" edge on the left side where the "flat area" transitioned to the side.

I'll try the "ease in the rear brake" test and see what that does.

Rear tire air has been adjusted...no effect.

Tires aren't that old...lots of tread left.

Radio off or on?

or maybe the early warning signal for peg scapping.

Radio off.

I was thinking about that "early warning signal"... I know these 1st gen's are SUPERIOR bikes -BUT-, that goes a bit beyond available technology methinks!

Just to keep the record straight, an 87 is a first gen.

Meanin that nothin falls off a 1st gen......(just to clarify)

Now, I just know that some folks might interpret this as implying that things DO fall off "other gen's"... :rotf::rotf:\

:sign just kidding:

I'm kinda new to bikes and very new to the venture but on trucks when i hear noises the first thing i do is give it a little brake and see if the noise changes, otherwise I'd say bearings but you said you already did those so the swing arm or shocks bushing/bearing sure sounds like the next place to look to me