IGNORED

XM radio antennas

dlhoulton

Hey everyone, I have a question about XM radios. If you buy a small XM radio unit can you use it in/on both bike and in car/truck? Would you have to buy two antennas to make this happen? I have an 06 Chevy that has Built in XM that I do not use and was wondering if the antenna could be unpluged from the trucks radio and used on the radio that will be used on the bike? Sorry if this sounds crazy, just would like to be able to use one XM radio for both bike and truck.:confused24:

Dennis

That is a good question. I think I understand what you are getting at. You don't want to have to carry two separate subscriptions so would rather use a portable unit between the truck and bike. That makes perfect sense.

I'm trying to remember how the XM antenna plugs into the factory radio with built in XM. I THINK it has a separate antenna input for the radio and if that is the case, then there should be no problem with what you want to do. You really just need to look at the back of your radio and see if the XM antenna is plugged in separately than the AM/FM antenna. I THINK it is but not 100% sure.

I use a XM ROADY ll. They do not make the ROADY ll anymore...I think they replaced it with the ROADY XT. I have a car kit which is a clip on mount for the air conditioner vent, 12 VDC to 6 VDC power supply that plugs into a cigarette lighter and a magnetic antenna. I added FM direct adapter to prevent fading in and out as you travel and the FM stations get stronger in certian areas and over run the internal FM transmitter. This FM direct adapter goes inline with your regualar FM antenna and works great. I ran all the wires out of site and I wired up a cigarette lighter female plug inside the dash so I will not have the wires running all over the place.

I have these in my car...my truck.

For my shop and office I have a home kit...this includes an A/C power supply and desktop antenna that will recieve through most walls...if they are not steel. Hook it up to the computer speakers or to an old radio via RCA jacks and 1/2 jack.

For my bike I purchased a mount that clamps on the handle bars holds the radio and has a small flat spot for the magnetic antenna. I split the fairing and installed another female cigarette lighter to connect the power convertor to...and split the Aux 1/8 jack on the bike to bring in the audio. I ran all the excess wire down the handle bars inside the fairing to keep it neat.

I pay one subscription for bike, truck, car, house, shop and office. Move the radio around and listen to it 24/7. it is always on. Move it from car to truck to office to shop.

No problem.

When they first come out with Sat Radio...I was hopeing they would do it like they did SAT TV...move your card from one place to the next...well we are stuck with the subscription tied to the radio... I was not paying for multiple subscriptions so I had to come up with a solution.

They have a lot of stuff at this website that you can use...call them if you do not know what all you need... They have Sirius and XM stuff. Only thing that will limit you is your pocket book.

http://www.myradiostore.com/

just get an extra magnetic antenna. run the wire where you want it and plug it in. That way all you have to do is move the radio. I did that in my pick-up, and my semi. Also did that in my farm tractor. Quick and easy, I think they cost about 20 bucks.

just get an extra magnetic antenna. run the wire where you want it and plug it in. That way all you have to do is move the radio. I did that in my pick-up, and my semi. Also did that in my farm tractor. Quick and easy, I think they cost about 20 bucks.

by the way I had a myfi for at least 3 years. buttons broke, just got an Xpress EZ the other day. They have the same antenna connection and the cradles mount on the same dashmounts etc. Didn't have to change a thing.

Sirius and XM are the same things BUT are on different frequencies. a XM antenna will work on Sirius you just get 1/2-3/4 signal strength. a Sirius Antenna will work on a XM radio with the same effects it will not hold the signal as good, you lose it under heavy tree cover, etc... If you have a free antenna for the other, I say use it.

Look for the little magnet antennas on ebay, I pick them up all the time for $5.00-$9.00 Paying a full $20.00 for a sirius or XM antenns is nuts. I am installing one under my fairing while I am working on the bike and running the antenna where I want it to be, I was going to put it back on the trunk but carrying stuff will block the signal, paseengers will also block the signals ,etc... I switched to one of the "visor" type of recievers that looks like a radar detector that works better on the venture dash so I dont need docks on everything.

Note: older XM and sirius radios have FM transmitters that work. the new ones are utter garbage when it comes to their transmitters. Dont upgrade your radio unless you have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one for the group...

I have a first generation Delphi unit which I swap out between my car and home (Klipsch Room Groove) and want to use it for the Venture as well.

Three set ups with one unit....

I'm purchasing another car unit for it and intend running the antenna to the surface right behind the windscreen. Plug a direct line into the jack in the Cassette unit and power it from the power adapter in the cowl.

Will this work?

I've tried it with my IPOD however, there is signal interference from the AC adapter.

The IPOD signal is fine running of its internal battery.

Need advice.

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis
......was wondering if the antenna could be unpluged from the trucks radio and used on the radio that will be used on the bike? Sorry if this sounds crazy, just would like to be able to use one XM radio for both bike and truck.:confused24:

Dennis

My advice: Just buy an inexpensive XM antenna. Stick it on the truck. Plug it in and go.

• 4 weeks later...