IGNORED

windshield height

Guest Vermincelli

Guest Vermincelli

Where do you all prefer the height of the windshield on a first gen to be?

As I sit now, the top of mine is about middle of forehead so looking over is a real stretch and I am thinking of cutting it down a bit but how is the airflow over the VR? I've had more vertical shields on crusiers but with the VR's more aerodynamic fairing, I am wondering how the flow of air is over it.

Up until just recently I always looked over the windshield. But as I've gotten older, it seems that the wind has gotten stronger and the bugs have gotten bigger and stronger. So now, I have a taller windshield and look through it.

When I had my first gen it came with a big tall wide windshield. I hated it. I traded with a member at Potato Creek for a smaller one and was able to look over it. For me that was great. The wind did increase a little but I liked that as well.

My bike had a standard windshield when I got it, but it was pretty badly scratched. Replaced it with a tall shield. I can't tell a lot of difference in the wind buffeting me. I'm 6'-2" and the standard height seemed to be directly in my line of sight. With the taller shield, I have trouble looking over it when it's raining. Hey, if you buy the tall shield and you don't like it, just start cutting.

Good Luck

Guest Vermincelli

I am thinking of getting another one and hacking this one down a bit just to see how it goes.

Figure it's always good to have a spare anyways.

Last year when I bought my bike it had the stock windshield on it. It was very cloudy and couldn't really see through it very well.

Soooooooooooo, I cut 2" off of it with my jig saw. I put blue painters tape on it so as not to scratch it any more. I filed it down and put the radius back on the corners and it worked very well and looked good.

When I removed the painters tape, I also removed a clear coat and all of a sudden, had a CLEAR windshield! (the clearcoat came off with the tape)

So, of course I put the blue tape all over both sides and removed all of the clear coat.

It still looks good today. But in the mean time, I bought a new stock tall windshield to put back on.

I've been riding with the short one all this summer and I like it for around here.

Right now, I look over it. When I put the stock one back on, I will be looking through it, and over, if I pick my head up to do that.

I'm planning on putting the new one on this weekend to see which one I would rather have on for a trip.

Right now the wind is not too bad, doesn't blow my head around much at all, but I know that the stock tall one will block more wind.

I like the idea of having both. Just a few minute job to switch.

Steve

I am 6'6" tall and I want a taller windshield than stock however the $'s are not in the checking account right now....

4" to 6" taller would be great, as the top of the stock windshiled is right in my line of sight, in my normal riding posture.................