IGNORED

repair work

Dav

New 2001 Venture owner here...wondering where the best place to purchase the 4 black plastic/rubber hoses that supply air mixture to engine/carbs,(directly above the jugs). as you can tell, don't know the tech name of 'em. Also, is it crazy hard/difficult to r/r them? or is it that anyone who can take off the seat, tank, and has a couple tools can do??

Hey folks..he is talking about the carb boots.

You might try Pinwall Cycle Salvage for used:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Call them because they aren't good with email. :)

Otherwise, look further down on the forum home page and you will find a forum named "Dealers who give us discounts". Check there for some good dealers who have fair prices and offer us an additional discount.

Yeah, it is kinda hard to figure out what think is wrong. There aren't any hoses up there at all except the overflow tubes, but you couldn't see those unless you already had the tank and air plenums off.

The air filters feed two large plastic tanks above the carbs (the things I call "air plenums"), and these tanks are connected to the top of the carbs by short rubber tubes. The entire air intake above the carbs is relatively easy to dismantle with the tank off, but watch those hose clamps holding the the intake on the top of the carbs - the screws are REAL soft and often stick. I have had the philips head screws strip out quickly on several bikes. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hey guys, thanks a bunch... Freebird, i'll check those sites. Freebird, i checked out your pics, nice bike and trailer. Do you even know the trailer is there when you're pullin it, or is it definately something you feel? icon6.gif

New 2001 Venture owner here...wondering where the best place to purchase the 4 black plastic/rubber hoses that supply air mixture to engine/carbs,(directly above the jugs). as you can tell, don't know the tech name of 'em. Also, is it crazy hard/difficult to r/r them? or is it that anyone who can take off the seat, tank, and has a couple tools can do??

I'm just curious why you may think you need these.:think: There was a time I thought I may need to replace them due to cracks in the rubber and found that they have rubber wrapped tin or metal of some sort. Have you been told they were bad??? Just lookin' out for you since I have a 1999 and found them not needed.:080402gudl_prv:

Big Mike

Well, certainly good to hear... what do you mean by "they have rubber wrapped tin or metal of some sort". Is this something you wrap around the "joint" (as i found out they are refered to in the manual). Carburetor joints that is icon7.gif. Or do you mean the cracks are just superficial and that part is already wrapped with that material? The joints are a hard plasitc/type material as you may know...

Anyway...

Well, certainly good to hear... what do you mean by "they have rubber wrapped tin or metal of some sort". Is this something you wrap around the "joint" (as i found out they are refered to in the manual). Carburetor joints that is icon7.gif. Or do you mean the cracks are just superficial and that part is already wrapped with that material? The joints are a hard plasitc/type material as you may know...

Anyway...

The joints are made from tin or metal and then the rubber is bonded to the inside and outside of it. i'll see if I can find the post that showed a cutaway so you can see what i'm referring to.

Big Mike

You can spray some carb cleaner on the boots while the engine is running. (be careful not to spray in the direction of the spark plugs) If the idle changes then the boots are leaking. If not then all is well. Those boots were replaced under warranty on my 99 but I did not notice anything different.

The joints are made from tin or metal and then the rubber is bonded to the inside and outside of it. i'll see if I can find the post that showed a cutaway so you can see what i'm referring to.

Big Mike

Here it is I found it!!! You'll find Rick Butler has alot of great tech info on this site as well as many others.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17883