IGNORED

She can't talk to me!

Iowa Guy

My 89 venture has a problem. When my wife and I go for a ride, she can't talk to me or more accurately, I can't hear her when she talks in the headset. We can both hear the radio. I can hear myself speak in my own headset and she can hear me in her's but I cannot hear her in my headset when she talks in her microphone. Now some of you may be saying 'whats the problem' but anything over 15 minutes and no conversation is intolerable to her and we arrive at our destination no matter how pretty the ride with her in a very sullen mood, sorta like your pet cat that is coming in out of a cold hard rain. That is certainly not my idea of a pleasant evening. Sort of spoils the mood, if you know what I mean.

Anybody have an idea why this might be happening? Otherwise, I will be riding solo or taking the Toyota.

Iowa Guy

:confused07:

Isolate the problem. Switch helmets to connection (put her helmet/headset on your connection, put your helmet/headset on her connection). Does the problem follow the connection location or the helmet location.

Another check is to see if she can talk over the CB (if you have one) using the headset mic.

If you helmet allows you to talk and her to hear while connected to the rear connnection, the problem is likely in her headset. If she cannot hear you but you can hear her, the problem is with the bike setup.

If the problem is with her headset (let's hope - way easier to fix), check all the connections. Change back and forth the intermediate cable (between helmet connection and curly cable connection). Does it follow the cable? No? Then change the curly cable. Same questions.

If neither of these, closely check the wiring from the mic to the helmet connection. These are likely molded connectors, so you will only be able to check for pinched wires.

Once you find the offending connection, try to fix it with a clean out and application of dielectric grease. If that doesn't work, replace the cable.

If the problem follows the connection location and not the helmet/headset, wait for an answer from some of the old timers on here that know how the IC works on the antiques. I have a 2nd Gen. :smile5:

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

RR

My 89 venture has a problem. When my wife and I go for a ride, she can't talk to me or more accurately, I can't hear her when she talks in the headset.

Iowa Guy

:confused07:

First unplug the rear controller unit & plug into the controller feed cable to test. Then try swapping helmets & lower cords in a test, then try swapping lower cords. I would suspect one of these to be the problem, based on the 83 setup. The J & M interface cable set (Amp to headset) is the same for all 1st gens & is still available (last I looked).

I have not had a good look at the rear controllers or the controller at the handle bar on the later models.... Is there a rear mic mute setting???????

if nothing else works................there's always the 2 can connection with a string..........any empty cans from dog food etc. punch a little hole at the closed ends.....push a string through and tie a knot so the string doesn't slip back out cause you have to have the string tensioned a bit to make it work. now here's a little trick i will share with you. carry a plastic lid that fits nicely to YOUR end of the can, so when you are not in a mood to listen, just put the lid ON onto your can. and just keep nodding your head every now and then. if all this is too technical for you to understand, let me know and i will post some pics. good luck. :smile5: :sign just kidding:

Isolate the problem. Switch helmets to connection (put her helmet/headset on your connection, put your helmet/headset on her connection). Does the problem follow the connection location or the helmet location.

Another check is to see if she can talk over the CB (if you have one) using the headset mic.

If you helmet allows you to talk and her to hear while connected to the rear connnection, the problem is likely in her headset. If she cannot hear you but you can hear her, the problem is with the bike setup.

If the problem is with her headset (let's hope - way easier to fix), check all the connections. Change back and forth the intermediate cable (between helmet connection and curly cable connection). Does it follow the cable? No? Then change the curly cable. Same questions.

If neither of these, closely check the wiring from the mic to the helmet connection. These are likely molded connectors, so you will only be able to check for pinched wires.

Once you find the offending connection, try to fix it with a clean out and application of dielectric grease. If that doesn't work, replace the cable.

If the problem follows the connection location and not the helmet/headset, wait for an answer from some of the old timers on here that know how the IC works on the antiques. I have a 2nd Gen. :smile5:

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

RR

Okay - I swapped the curly cords with no difference in performance. Then I swapped the location of the helmets and the problem followed the helmet.

Hmmm... The headset is the problem? It is a sealed molded plastic fixture. Is the only solution to buy a new headset?

Iowa Guy

:mo money:

Sounds like you've isolated the problem to the headset. Check the pins in the connector plug to see that none have been bent over. Spray them all with a contact cleaner if you have some handy. Check the cord and any exposed wires for any sign of pinching, cracking or shorting.

If all of that fails, it may be time for a new headset. If so, I can give you a REALLY good deal on a headset that came with my bike when I bought it. We already had helmets with headsets, so it's an extra that I don't need.

may be time for a new headset. If so, I can give you a REALLY good deal on a headset that came with my bike when I bought it.quote]

If he doesn't take you up on it, I'll be willing to give it a shot. Putting a CB on my 84 standard and gotta get all the pieces together.

Let me know,

Dan

may be time for a new headset. If so, I can give you a REALLY good deal on a headset that came with my bike when I bought it.quote]

If he doesn't take you up on it, I'll be willing to give it a shot. Putting a CB on my 84 standard and gotta get all the pieces together.

Let me know,

Dan

Dan yes- give it a shot. I think that I will go another direction on headsets.

Iowa Guy