IGNORED

New Helmet time SHOEI RJ or ARIA Classic

thecount

Just starting to consider helmets for the upcoming year.

Shoei RJ Platnium or ARIA Classic ??

Both open face. We are not likely to use or be comfortable with full face or flip fronts. We do currently use Shorty's (Bell Shorty)but considering "better" helmets for the longer highway riding. We do use J&M Intercom set in the helmets.

Any Feedback (as many usually do) is appreciated in search of new Head Gear.

Never had either of the above myself, so I can't offer any pros and cons towards those. I do know when I was considering 3/4 helmets a couple years ago, a lot of recommendations came in for HJC's AC3 helmet.

I also saw these up at the motorcycle show in Chicago, and I must say they're pretty comfortable, and definitely unique:

http://www.nexx-usa.com/Scripts/default.asp

Just starting to consider helmets for the upcoming year.

Shoei RJ Platnium or ARIA Classic ??

Both open face. We are not likely to use or be comfortable with full face or flip fronts. We do currently use Shorty's (Bell Shorty)but considering "better" helmets for the longer highway riding. We do use J&M Intercom set in the helmets.

Any Feedback (as many usually do) is appreciated in search of new Head Gear.

If you settle on an RJ-Air call me. I may be able to help. I have 2 ea red; 1 Large, and 1 medium. Also 2 whites; 1/lg and 1 sm. These 4 shoei's are the last of a large group of helmets I picked up at an auction last year. I've reduced the price down to $95 bucks plus shipping to clean 'm out..

I have the Shoei Platinum and really like it. I'm on my second one. It is light, which is important to me because after a few days on a long ride, my neck gets a little pain. Nice big ear cups inside so you can install speakers and still be very comfortable. The new model has removable pads so you can clean them. My only complaint before was that the pads were not removable.

In class we get helmet questions a lot. 3 tips...fit,fit, fit. Wear the helmet for at LEAST 10 min in the shop to see if it fits your noggin. I have 4 helmets 1 Sm, 2 med, and 1 lg. Different styles and brands. Fit is the first test, $ and style (in that order), if it don't fit it is trash, if you have a $20 head get a $20 helmet; get the best you can afford that fits!!! I wear a relatively cheap 3/4 in the summer because it fits good (time for a new one but I hve a hard head to fit) and a flip face that the supplier changed liner pieces till it fit. Good luck Rod

We use the Shoei RJ-Platinum R, and we like them.

You got to try them on and decide witch one will be the most comfortable on your head.

Thanks all.

Appreciate the feedback. Seeing that some are Poly-Carb shell and other are Fiber compostite, Snell/Dot rated, looking to find the best combination . Our Shorty's are good, but looking to improve safety, keep cool, and have good protection.

Fit , yup, know we need to find the one that fit's best.

:322:

In class we get helmet questions a lot. 3 tips...fit,fit, fit. Wear the helmet for at LEAST 10 min in the shop to see if it fits your noggin. I have 4 helmets 1 Sm, 2 med, and 1 lg. Different styles and brands. Fit is the first test, $ and style (in that order), if it don't fit it is trash, if you have a $20 head get a $20 helmet; get the best you can afford that fits!!! I wear a relatively cheap 3/4 in the summer because it fits good (time for a new one but I hve a hard head to fit) and a flip face that the supplier changed liner pieces till it fit. Good luck Rod

I am right there with you Rod. We are :whistling: the same song.

Fit, then $$'s , then to styles etc.

We bought the Arai Classic designed for JMC mics and speakers. They have a pocket formed in the left lower area of the shell that the mic bolts into eliminating the clamp on fitment of a traditional mic.

They are Fiberglass lids which is lighter than the Plastic HJC's we were wearing. The Arai's fit snugger than the HJC's. Be sure to try one for fit as mentioned earlier. You want it snug to prevent twisting on you gourd in a wreck. Mine was really snug at first, but fit itself to my noggin after awhile and now is quite comfortable.