IGNORED

How many use a shorter windshield?

big mike

Does anyone ride with a shorter wider windshield? I am considering the purchase of a wider and shorter tinted shield but i'm not sure I will like riding on long trips with it. Also I am not sure of the way it looks.:think: If anyone here rides with one can you please post a pic, and tell me what height it is possibly? Maybe some pro's and cons of it too?:confused24:

Thanks in advance,

Big Mike

Big Mike,

That is the second thing I did on my RSV. The first was to replace the seat. I like to look over the windshield. The wider one also keeps more wind off your hands if you have the riser extentions. Take a look at the pictures attached. My wife never really rode with me when I had the tall one on there. I suspect there is more wind for her.

Chris

Big Mike,

That is the second thing I did on my RSV. The first was to replace the seat. I like to look over the windshield. The wider one also keeps more wind off your hands if you have the riser extentions. Take a look at the pictures attached. My wife never really rode with me when I had the tall one on there. I suspect there is more wind for her.

Chris

Thanks Chris thats what I was hoping to see. Nice looking bike by the way.:thumbsup2: Just out of curiosity, what size and brand windshield are you using? It kind of resembles the one I was looking at in JP Cycles for our bikes.

Big Mike

Wow I didn't get any responses at first so I was kind of getting worried that no one liked the shorter windshield. Then I got a response from chris that I responded to above, and poof when I hit submit there were several replies. You guys are truely top notch. Thank you all!!!!

Edited by big mike

Big Mike - Mine is a ShowChrome also. I bought mine from Big Bike Parts. I only know this because I found the installation instructions with the original windshield that has been laying around since 2001.

From the fairing to the top of windshield is just under 13 inches.

Big Mike - Mine is a ShowChrome also. I bought mine from Big Bike Parts. I only know this because I found the installation instructions with the original windshield that has been laying around since 2001.

From the fairing to the top of windshield is just under 13 inches.

That's the one i'm looking at. Think i'll have to purchase it.:whistling:

Thanks alot!!!!

Big Mike

I have the stock windshield and a 9" short version from Cee Baileys that also came with the bike when I bought it from a private seller.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/index.html

I see this company has added some colour tinted shield including an opaque black. Cool look for the summer.

Find the short shield very good except in extreme cold and needing some windchill protection. I would rather look over the shield than look through the sheild.

Edited by thecount

Mariner Fan - some people don't like looking thru bugs all day and they like to feel the wind a little. Besides, if it is not too short then you won't get the buffetting from the wind. I purchased the short windshield for my Raider, but had to buy the taller one because of the wind buffetting. Besides, he will still have the old windshield to put back on if he doesn't like it. To each his own... Right? That is why they make so many options.

I have the yamaha short and wide shield on mine I trade them off when the weather starts to turn here in ohio (about a 10 min job) i like haveing the shorter one i get some wind back in my hair (what little i have) and in the fall keeps the cold air monster off me. Ron

I've had a ShowChrome shorter windscreen on both our 99 and 06...in fact the 06 never got rode with the OEM windscreen.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced it or not, but I did with the 99 and that was the paint rubbing off the edge of the dash where the windscreen touched it. I've seen it happen on several friend's RSV's as well. Solved the problem by cutting a stripe of soft side of Hook & Loop and putting it the entire length of the edge of the dash.

Curt

I have a Cee Baileys 4 inch shorter tan stock. I’m 5’ 6” and it is chin level. This lets in the wind a little on my tour deluxe but isn’t that why we ride. When its real cold I just slump down a little. This is a very good quality windshield.

Edited by Rocky

I rode several long trips with the stock shield (2 years)

Changed to the 13" and I love it!

I know the bike even handles better as it goes into a strong sidewind and/or headwind

think about it

I also wear a 3/4 with a face sheld and the wind is over my head for the most part.

2nd person will receive quite a bit more air flow

I have to ask.....why? Do you like having the wind buffet your head around? I know they look cool but on long rides, it's a pain to have the wind beat you to death.

First off I have to thank you for your concern.:thumbsup2: Personally I have only had the stock windshield since I have owned my bike. I like the idea of having a wider windshield. The idea of a shorter one came when I had seen a full dresser (H.D.) with a short windshield. I liked the look of it and thought our bikes would look good with it also. I have not had one like I said in the past, so that is why I came to this site for opinions. Yours is definitly appreciated also. The one I am considering is 4" shorter than stock and 5" wider so it is not a huge difference I thought. The fact that it is wider I was helped to appreciate protects your hands from the wind better. So I figured it would give it a little more attitude without sacrificing alot of protection.

As always I feel everyone on this site is entitled to their own opinions and I truely appreciate yours. You guys are ALL...TOP NOTCH on this site. You can tell we all look out for each other when we get concerned comments like this.

THANKS ALOT Mariner Fan for looking out for my head!!!!!

Big Mike:15_8_211[1]:

Mariner Fan - some people don't like looking thru bugs all day and they like to feel the wind a little. Besides, if it is not too short then you won't get the buffetting from the wind. I purchased the short windshield for my Raider, but had to buy the taller one because of the wind buffetting. Besides, he will still have the old windshield to put back on if he doesn't like it. To each his own... Right? That is why they make so many options.

For sure, and I do like the looks of the short windshield. :D

First off I have to thank you for your concern.:thumbsup2: Personally I have only had the stock windshield since I have owned my bike. I like the idea of having a wider windshield. The idea of a shorter one came when I had seen a full dresser (H.D.) with a short windshield. I liked the look of it and thought our bikes would look good with it also. I have not had one like I said in the past, so that is why I came to this site for opinions. Yours is definitly appreciated also. The one I am considering is 4" shorter than stock and 5" wider so it is not a huge difference I thought. The fact that it is wider I was helped to appreciate protects your hands from the wind better. So I figured it would give it a little more attitude without sacrificing alot of protection.

As always I feel everyone on this site is entitled to their own opinions and I truely appreciate yours. You guys are ALL...TOP NOTCH on this site. You can tell we all look out for each other when we get concerned comments like this.

THANKS ALOT Mariner Fan for looking out for my head!!!!!

Big Mike:15_8_211[1]:

A friend of mine and I have a conversation constantly about looks vs function on our bikes. I tend to appreciate add on's that make the bike function better while my buddy is adding things to his bike to make it look good to the expense of the function.

MoRiverRat is correct when he says "To each his own". Shorter windshields actually work better for some folks as well.

Big Mike, quite a few members here have simply cut their shields down. Can't beat that for costs!

Does anyone ride with a shorter wider windshield? I am considering the purchase of a wider and shorter tinted shield but i'm not sure I will like riding on long trips with it. Also I am not sure of the way it looks.:think: If anyone here rides with one can you please post a pic, and tell me what height it is possibly? Maybe some pro's and cons of it too?:confused24:

Thanks in advance,

Big Mike

Beth and I have the ShowChrome shorty...it is wider and shorter than stock, she says it is windier for her, compared to the yammi stock shield.....I like the look, being able to look over it in the rain.......

randy

Greetings, I have a lower windshield and love it. Last summer my wife and I rode from the West Coast to the East Coast then back to the West Coast. We had a lot of rain in the East and it became a problem seeing through the windshield as the rain mixes with a lot of dirt and oil from the road. I stopped @ a windshield place and they took about 3 inches off. That was not enough so a week or so later we stopped at a garage in a small town and I asked if I could use there jig saw and I would pay for it. The chap helped me and we took another 2 or 3 inches off. A week later I stopped @ another garage and the chap helped me and would not let me pay him. ( same with the 2nd chap ) This time it worked. My windshield is 10 inches from the silver strip @ the bottom. I am 5ft 7in and there is almost no buffering from the wind. I can see over it in all weather and wind is not a problem even if I forget to put my glasses on. @ no time was the windshield taken off. Just a jig saw. We marked it with a felt tip pen first. The time it takes to cut as about 5 min. Just go slow and it works. I then @ a later date took a file and some sandpaper to it. It looks like it was made that height.

Hope this helps you,

Johnny :hurts: