Has anyone had to return anything to MAW? I bought a rear brake disc for my '89VR from them about three weeks ago. Ran a couple hundred miles last saturday, and toward the end started hearing a clicking noise coming from the rear end. Couldn't find anything wrong on the side of the road, so eased to the house. Couldn't find anything then either. Today I got to looking a little closer, and half the rivets in that new disc are loose. move it back and forth and it clicks. I told Ya'll this thing was a money pit. One thing after another. Again, the bike has great potential but man.....By the way, I guess I'm gonna have to go with an aftermarket clutch spring. This one still slips, even though it's new. but if you dont crank hard on the throttle it dont slip at all. thank heavens the old wing never misses a beat.

Gonna order new spring from John up in ny this week. He says his has 2x the pressure of a oem spring. Also going to do away with half disc, wire and steel ring in clutch boss and add replace it with a regular fiber disc. Will save oem in case need 2 double up. Calling MAW in the morning. will keep ya posted on how long it takes to get disc replaced.

Has anyone had to return anything to MAW? I bought a rear brake disc for my '89VR from them about three weeks ago. Ran a couple hundred miles last saturday, and toward the end started hearing a clicking noise coming from the rear end. Couldn't find anything wrong on the side of the road, so eased to the house. Couldn't find anything then either. Today I got to looking a little closer, and half the rivets in that new disc are loose. move it back and forth and it clicks.

Sounds like the rotor is a full floater. Check out this thread, read Squeeze's reply.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6670

Joe, that thread that Rocket referred you to was about the rear rotor on my 86. I'm pretty sure it was the stock rotor, as I am the second owner on this bike. I could actually reach under the saddlebag and grab the rotor and "rattle" it. It would move back and forth, and it would go "CLACK" when I stepped on the pedal. I replaced the rotor with one that I got off of eBay and it has been fine since.

Good Luck

Joe, that thread that Rocket referred you to was about the rear rotor on my 86. I'm pretty sure it was the stock rotor, as I am the second owner on this bike. I could actually reach under the saddlebag and grab the rotor and "rattle" it. It would move back and forth, and it would go "CLACK" when I stepped on the pedal. I replaced the rotor with one that I got off of eBay and it has been fine since.

Good Luck

I think all the stock rotors are solid. Looks like EBC makes floaters for the 1st gens, as I have been looking into them for later on. Sometimes hard to tell as pic shows a floater, sometime write up doesn't mention it being one.

He had gotten an rotor from MAW, probably an EBC replacement, wanted to point him to the Squeeze's info on rotors. As he seems to be a great source of tech info, his knowledge is greater than mine.

read the different threads on floating rotors. they all say that the disc rattles when the brakes are applied(unless I read them wrong). Mine only rattles when the brakes aren't applied. You can move the rotor from side to side a fair amount(enough to visibly see the rivets rocking back and forth) but it doesn't rock from front to rear. However, if the rotor is supposed to be that way, then why when I emailed ebc pictures of the rotor including showing the play in it, did they tell me a new rotor would be on the way within 24 hrs? If this is the way that it's supposed to be, then fine I just hope it goes away eventually, as I can't turn up the radio to drown out the noise. Radio is another project for the winter. Will someone please tell me if the rotor is ok with a rattle as I've described, or do I need to change it? By the way, it's a part # MD2049 from EBC.

"However, if the rotor is supposed to be that way, then why when I emailed ebc pictures of the rotor including showing the play in it, did they tell me a new rotor would be on the way within 24 hrs? "

If a new one is on the way, isn't that your answer?

Regarding the clutch, since you already have your old spring and a new one, why not try doubling them up for no added cost?

Jeremy

read the different threads on floating rotors. they all say that the disc rattles when the brakes are applied(unless I read them wrong). Mine only rattles when the brakes aren't applied. You can move the rotor from side to side a fair amount(enough to visibly see the rivets rocking back and forth) but it doesn't rock from front to rear. However, if the rotor is supposed to be that way, then why when I emailed ebc pictures of the rotor including showing the play in it, did they tell me a new rotor would be on the way within 24 hrs? If this is the way that it's supposed to be, then fine I just hope it goes away eventually, as I can't turn up the radio to drown out the noise. Radio is another project for the winter. Will someone please tell me if the rotor is ok with a rattle as I've described, or do I need to change it? By the way, it's a part # MD2049 from EBC.

Hi,

those full-floating Rotors rattle, when the Brakes are not applied and the Speed your going is slow to very slow. A have a Set of full-Floaters in the Front of my Max and first Time of started, i was shocked by the Rattle. But when i got some Miles on the Bike, the Brakedust settled in and the Rattle went down to a lower Noise-Level.

I did a bit of research on those EBC MD2049 and i found that those Rotors are full-floated. So, they rattle by System.

but ...

If they rattle when you faster, let's say from 10 or 15 mph and more, there is something wrong. That's why they send you a new Brakedisc.

They shall move from left to right, as you mentioned and don't move from front to back.

The Time your new Disc arrives, you will see whats gong on. If the Floaters are mounted with an Circlip, there is a Possibilty that you can mount some Springs behind the Circlip and convert the full-floated to semi-floated and get rid of the Rattle and keep the Advantage of those Discs.

If they rattle