IGNORED

lighting problem

yamatime

has anyone ever incountered this problem . 2003 midnight venture

i put my right sinal on and my left one goes on and vise versa left signal...... right goes on and also my fuses for my head lights and running lights keeps popping i cant find a bare wire anywhere

help please driving my nuts :soapbox:

Seeing that you're blowing fuses and the signals are reversed, I would look where the harness comes from the bike out to the bar. At some point it has rubbed bare at a contact point with metal. Find the harness where it goes back to the bike from the light bar, then turn the steering back and forth. You could even install a new fuse, turn off the lights in the garage, activate a signal then turn the bars back and forth and look for a spark. Might find it that way.

Good luck again,

Dan

Verrrry Interesting as they say.

Pull the Headlight fuse, then check the signals. ( might work )

Pull the Signal Fuse, then check the Headlights.

Is this both, front and rear Turn signals working opposite sides ???

Has sombody, Added, ANY, lighting equipment to this bike ???

IF So, the Follow the NEW wireing that was installed, inch by inch, and assume that " Duffus " whoever he was, made a mistake.

If you find ANY, ADDed Black Taped, Connections, remove the tape and Inspect.

If you find any TWISTED, Splices, covered with black tape, be sure to Solder the new connections.

Look for ANY runs of Wire, that is NOT an integral part of the Wireing Harness.

IF you find any, then inspect every inch of the added wireing.

IF you find any more " Clues " post them, need a bit more information to work with.

thank you all for your help in this matter i took the complete running light assembley off yes i do have a L.E.D lighting system on the bike now for about 3 year so they all work ok . what i wanted to try was thaking the tail light assembley . so i will probrably do that tomorrow . the problem with putting in a new fuse is that it pops it right away so that if there is a bare wire rubbing up against something you are able to see the spark . this is a night mare :crying:

How long ago did you install the passing lamps. Had a simular problem not that long ago with the turn signals, turns out they were hooked up backwards when I installed the passing lamps. However this http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23163 was a thread that I posted when I ran into my lights going dead and popping the main lighting fuse. look and see if it may help you. Also if your passing lights have been installed for a while you may check to see if there are bare wires where the wires start into the light bar or where the come out and go into the faring. (pretty common problem in those places also.)

Hope this helps.

Big Mike

Do you have an Ohm meter??

If So:

Remove ALL light Bulbs---- Head, tail, and marker.

Remove the Head, and Signal Fuse---

Now take Resistance Readings From output side of fuse holders to Ground.

( If there is a Short, you should see a very LOW Ohm reading, say 10 ohms or less, maby a dead short. )

If so, the follow out that circuit.

With bulbs ( all of them ) removed, and fuse's remove, you should see ( and OPen circuit to ground, ) ie. No Resistance, no connection to ground.

You might have TWO seperate problems. ( based on what you have said. )

i still cant believe i haven't found the short in my lighting system. i am so frustrated now ........ i took apart my head light , my running lights my signal lights and looked at all the wiring harness and still no luck ...... what to do .... what to do

Headlight:

With the Headlight Bulb--- Removed ---- ( the H4 ) does the fuse still blow ?? Yes, or No _______

If you REMOVE the " Head " fuse, does that make any difference in how the turn signals operate ??? Yes, or No ______

Do this for a test, Remove the " Signal " fuse, and replace the " Head fuse" does the head light fuse still blow ?? Yes, or No _______

Have you removed All the Bulbs, and both fuses, and taken a Resistance Reading to Ground, at the output side of both Empy Fuse holders

Yes, or No _______

I looking for some clues here!!! Give me some more definitive information, might be able to help. ( P.S. I am an Aircraft Electrician, Electronic Tech )

On the Turn signal situation:

Do they operate Normaly, other then the wrong side is flashing ???

Y or N _____

Does this happen on both Front and Rear ???

Y or N _____

Has water gotten into the turn signal switch to provide a path to ground? And possibly intermix the signals to the other side?

Follow all of GeorgeS' suggestions above, he's purty smart fellow!

Dan

30+ yr Master Electrician and all-about decent guy

i have tackled the problem once again today with out any luck . i took the head light out today and looked behind every possible place for bare wire and all is good . so tomorrow i will try goerge's suggestions step by step . what i did do though is cut the wire from the fuse that is blowing and connecting a direct wire from the battery back to the fuse side not the harness side and ran it straight to the headlight and it worked without blowing a fuse . so tomorrow witll be more test . if worse comes to worse i will hook up the headlight with a different fuse getting power from the battery and take it from there

Just checking, but, has anybody Recently, drilled any holes, Anyplace, on this bike to Mount anything !!!

( If so, consider the Drill Bit, might have done unseen damage to a wireing bundle )

Were any parts, Removed, and ReInstalled, between the last time all the lights were working properly, and the when the fuse's started blowing ???

( If so, Inspect everything in that area, for damage to wireing, of any type )