IGNORED

Tips on cleaning out the Gas tank on an '83? and where's the Fuel filter?

I really dont want to remove the tank to do it, but I am sure that the lower part of the tank is full of junk from the last 25 years of it's life. I only had the bike for a year now but I have never opened the reserve valve and dont want to if there is junk in there.

And good tips on how to clean all that out and drain it to a bucket? also where is the fuel filter? I cant find it.

Ignore it or do it. Change the filter first. It is under the left side cover, under the tank, slightly back of the fuel pump on the left side, above the swing arm and not to easy to get to or see. Go to your local auto supply and get one as close as possible.

Mine was very rusty sitting empty for 4 years and 24 years old. To take the tank off requires the entire rear sub frame assembly come off. 2 hour job. I used 2 gallons of solvents, lots of heavy nuts and bolts to shack rattle and roll the loose stuff out.

The TRICK is the keep the tank full of gas. Fill it up "after" every ride, before putting it away. This keeps condensation, dust and rust to a minimum.

You can drain the fuel and then change the filter. To get inside the tank, remove the float assembly below the seat. It is a round plate with screws around the edge. Then you can view the inside. Also, you can remove the petcock for draining. Watch the petcock. It is probably stiff or locked up from lack of use. Remember in the on position it draws fuel from a tube a couple inches from the tank bottom. So, the tank could have fuel in it even though it has stopped draining. You may find the screens plugged up on the petcock assembly. You will need the pre-formed o-ring for the petcock and the gasket/o-ring for the float to re-assemble. I have had luck in reaching down ito the tank with a swab on a stick and wiping everything down. Then spraying a cleaning solvent on the inside to flush out the tank. The fuel filters are cheap if you use a will-fit from the auto parts. Buy several as you may encounter some plugging after the cleaning.

JB

After removing the false tank cover,the seat, and the left side cover,The fuel filter is located on the left side of your scoot, inboard and to the rear of the fuel pump. Unless you got fingers like ET you will need to remove the fuel pump to get to the fuel filter. The first pic below shows the location and the second pic shows the fuel pump removed and the new filter installed. I reused the old clamps but was told that "zip ties" work great! Especially if the end of the fuel line has gotten a bit "old". I nipped the ends of the fuel line before the reinstall. Reinstall the new filter in the mounting bracket, then reinstall the fuel pump. Before you put the pump back in check the line that goes to the engine, (rear of pump, red braided line in my pic) the clip that is attached to the frame that holds that line had pinched the fuel line almost closed! I used a zip tie and I could actually feel the difference on hard accelleration! Who wodda' thought! Once I found the filter, I think I was about 30 minutes into the filter change, I was having a GOOD look around and thats when I found the crimped fuel line.:whistling:

Earl

You will probably have to order New Parts for the Petcock assembly. See the IPC,

Yamaha web site, Several parts to order seperatly. Get all O-Rings, Gaskets, and New Screens. They are all shown on the IPC.

Once you get the sender unit, and petcock, you have pretty good access to work on it. Improvise, as they say.