IGNORED

Love the Dunlop Elite 3's

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

I'm not sure I'm placing this in the right forum, but I rec'd my Dunlop Elite 3's last week and got them mounted and balanced. I can't believe the difference! The bike handles so much crisper. I can especially notice that at low speeds. The tires are quiet, smooth, & great for not tracking grooves. The bike even feels lighter. I am very satisfied. Thanks to the members who recommended them! I purchased them through Southwest Moto Tires (who is recommended on here) and rec'd them the NEXT day! S/H is free when you purchase 2 tires.:322:

Guest tx2sturgis

I too have an E3 mounted, and the only complaint that I have, is that they are slower to warm up to operating temp when its cold outside...30 or below. I admit, most of us dont do a lot of riding at those temps, but I do. The E3 seems to be a harder rubber compound, which gives more mileage, but is slower to soften up when the temps drop below freezing. This can cause some slight, and I admit 'slight', drop in traction on those cold winter mornings on dry pavement. So...take it easy on those days when your riding and you can see your breath at the stoplights!

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 1 year later...

Are you using the thinner MT90HB-16 in front? I'm a new RSV owner, just bought my 2005 yesterday, and I rode this beauty for the first time late yesterday afternoon. I was surprised (putting it mildly) by it's less than ideal handling, especially at lower speeds. When I looked at the front tire, I noticed it was the original bridgestone 150/80-16 and it obviously needed replacement. I have been browsing this site for several days now and believe that tire selection can be a contentious topic, but many members agree that the Dunlop Elite 3 is a great tire. Further, it sounds like the consensus is that the smaller front tire improves handling of this large machine??? Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Are you using the thinner MT90HB-16 in front? I'm a new RSV owner, just bought my 2005 yesterday, and I rode this beauty for the first time late yesterday afternoon. I was surprised (putting it mildly) by it's less than ideal handling, especially at lower speeds. When I looked at the front tire, I noticed it was the original bridgestone 150/80-16 and it obviously needed replacement. I have been browsing this site for several days now and believe that tire selection can be a contentious topic, but many members agree that the Dunlop Elite 3 is a great tire. Further, it sounds like the consensus is that the smaller front tire improves handling of this large machine??? Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Is the rear also a Bridgestone? If so, just changing tires will make a huge difference.

If you do a search for my old posts about front tire size, you will find a huge amount of detail on my tire testing for the RSV.

I won't try to repeat it here, but briefly I do not find the 130/90 front tire a good choice for these bikes except under a very limited set of circumstances. A good tire in stock size, such as the Avon Venom or Dunlop E3 will produce an astonishing improvement in slow speed handling over that horrible Brickstone (even in stock size, all other tires are much more narrow than that Brickstone, and have a better profile too).

If your legs are long enough to take a slight increase in saddle height, adding the DiamondR Leveling Links will produce an amazing improvement in handling, quite similar to what the 130/90 tire does. I do recommend the Leveling Links for everyone who can take the height. I absolutely do NOT recommend both the 130/90 tire and the Leveling Links, but not everyone agrees with me there, and even with the stock suspension links, I still feel that most riders are better served with good tires in stock sizes.

You are quite close to me - if you want to bring the bike over and talk about it, I'd be happy to do that.

Goose

Thanks to all for the quick responses. V7 Goose, I might take advantage of your offer to bring the rsv by your home in colleyville. My email is colmikes@att.net. Drop me a note if you would and we can arrange from there. In the meantime, I'll look up the drive links you mentioned and study that solution. I've also seen discussion re: the Baron handlebar extensions coupled with the starbar handlebar changeout. The power steering promises are questionable, but any improvements over what I have now will be welcome.

Guest tx2sturgis
The power steering promises are questionable, but any improvements over what I have now will be welcome.

What? Did I miss something? POWER steering?

:think:

Or maybe you're referring to a steering dampener.

Thanks to all for the quick responses. V7 Goose, I might take advantage of your offer to bring the rsv by your home in colleyville. My email is colmikes@att.net. Drop me a note if you would and we can arrange from there. In the meantime, I'll look up the drive links you mentioned and study that solution. I've also seen discussion re: the Baron handlebar extensions coupled with the starbar handlebar changeout. The power steering promises are questionable, but any improvements over what I have now will be welcome.

I installed the RSTD handle bars on my RSMV and there is a huge improvement in comfort and handling. And you don't need the Baron risers. I lengthened the cables by two inches but some say they didn't need to.

:farmer:

I went from the Brickstone to the MT90HB-16 front (Avon Venom though). I am about to switch out to the E3 narrow front to give that a try. The change to the narrow front was remarkable in making the bike feel nimble. However, I have never worn a stock size in front, so perhaps it was just a move away from the Brickstone. I contemplated going with the stock size this next change, but I simply like the narrow Avon so much.

Dave

Just got my E3's today from Jake Wilson ($220 with $10 coupon). Will have mounted tomorrow and then 1000-1200 mile trip this weekend. I will post back on satisfaction next week. After reading the info on this site, I can't imagine being displeased.

My wife was having tire envy over my new E3 tires. They transformed my ride to a whole new level. Handle well on wet roads, corner sweet...SWEET! My only regret is that I did not get them a couple years earlier. They have boosted my confidence in my bikes ability.

Now we shall see how many miles I get before having to replace them... no doubt many more than the Bridgestone Ecedra tires I have ran in the past.

My wife was having tire envy over my new E3 tires. They transformed my ride to a whole new level. Handle well on wet roads, corner sweet...SWEET! My only regret is that I did not get them a couple years earlier. They have boosted my confidence in my bikes ability.

Now we shall see how many miles I get before having to replace them... no doubt many more than the Bridgestone Ecedra tires I have ran in the past.

I'm glad you like the new tires - it's just too bad it took you so long to try them.

We just don't seem to be able to convince new owners about how totally horrible those stock Brickstone things are and how important it is to put anything else on their bike as soon as possible. Nobody wants to throw away a good tire just to try something different, but they just cannot understand how horrible we say those Brickstone tires make this bike handle. All different tires have different handling characteristics, so it is normal to think the difference here wouldn't be all that great. The problem is that magnitude of the actual change that good tires will make on this bike is almost totally incomprehensible to believe until you actually experience it yourself. Even when brand new those nasty Brickstone Excedra tires couldn't even qualify for as as high a rating as "poor"!

As for tire life, my experience shows that you should probably get at LEAST DOUBLE the miles from a rear E3 that you got form a Brickstone Excedra. Enjoy the ride,

Goose

I'm glad you like the new tires - it's just too bad it took you so long to try them.

We just don't seem to be able to convince new owners about how totally horrible those stock Brickstone things are and how important it is to put anything else on their bike as soon as possible. Nobody wants to throw away a good tire just to try something different, but they just cannot understand how horrible we say those Brickstone tires make this bike handle. All different tires have different handling characteristics, so it is normal to think the difference here wouldn't be all that great. The problem is that magnitude of the actual change that good tires will make on this bike is almost totally incomprehensible to believe until you actually experience it yourself. Even when brand new those nasty Brickstone Excedra tires couldn't even qualify for as as high a rating as "poor"!

As for tire life, my experience shows that you should probably get at LEAST DOUBLE the miles from a rear E3 that you got form a Brickstone Excedra. Enjoy the ride,

Goose

Amazes me also. I have a friend who swears by the Bridgestones (not at them). He has 80 some thousand miles on his bike and has never been on any other tire. I rag on him all the time about them but he thinks they are the greatest tires on the market. I've even offered him my bike to try but he will have none of it. You just can't educate some people.

BOO

Very glad to have read this thread. My rear factory Bridgestone has about had it and based on this thread and others, I ordered a set of E3's from Motorcycle Superstore who had the best price and ha already emailed me the tracker.

I have put my own tires on prior bikes but they all had tubes. Anyone have trouble getting the beads to seat on our 2nd gens?