IGNORED

Hard Starting after sitting

I notice my bike is difficult to start after sitting for an extended length of time. If my bike sits for anytime say over 3-4 weeks to several months it seems to be very difficult to start. I let the fuel pump prime the fuel system...usually cycling key 2-3 times. It cranks strong and fast but won't fire. When I persist it will finally go after excess cranking and various throttle and enrichener positioning. I have tried different enrichener and throttle positions but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have new plugs in. Under normal conditions and in the riding season when using the bike on a regular basis...but not daily....it starts excellent without issues...usually on the first crank when hot and after 3-4 cranks when cold.....and then runs excellent. And then it seems to start best with enrichener full on and a small amount of throttle when cold and just a small amount or no throttle when hot. It seems to me that it's a fuel problem??? Any suggestions?? I have just done the battery cable upgrade and starter internal ground wire modification...but this didn't make any difference to the above issue but am hoping it will help on hot cranking ( i also am noticing the hot cranking problem...but it always starts well when hot despite this). Thanks

Have you drained the fuel tank, and drained the Carb Bowl ??

Then run a couple of tanks with 1/2 can of Sea-Foam per tank.

See if this helps.

Fuel filter, and new plugs might help.

Check internal resistance of all 4 Plug Caps, should be all the same.

Re-Install the Plug wires, at Coils, and plug Caps, Screw them out, and NIP OFF about

1/4 inch of wire, and Re-Install. ( the wire screws in and out of threaded Tip )

Check the Ignition Fuse holder for High Resistance Contacts.

Get a can of electrical contact, spray cleaner, Give the Ignition Swithch, and the

RUN-STOP Switch a bath with this stuff. ( its a long story, trust me just do it )

(( CRC brand, 2-26, electical contact cleaner, at Lowes, or HOme Depot. ))

Also, clean the Plug enroute from Ignition PickUP Coils, going to the TCI. 5 wire plug, located just under your left Knee as you sit on the bike.

Open and Clean the 3 wire Plug from Stator, going to the Regulator/Rectifyer Unit.

These items are ALL Suspect !!!

Next item would be the Carb Diaphrams, pull them out and inspect them for holes in the rubber. If you have not allready done this job.

Basicly, on an 88, if this job has never been done, you need a new set.

It simply an age issue with the rubber diaphrams.

Engine hot, and running, pull air filter, and watch the piston's dancing back and forth.

Sometimes if diaphrams are really bad, you will see one or two, not moveing as the others.

Rez, on my 83, when it has sat for awhile, this is my routine and it has worked well for me, even at 22 degrees last Saturday after setting for at least three weeks with out being touched.

I turn on the ignition and using the kill switch, I will flip it off and on several times until I hear the fuel pump only click a time or two. I may do this at least a half dozen times.

I then pull the choke lever(I know enrichener) all the way to the left.

I then hit the start button without touching the throttle. On my bike and the last Yamaha I had, no throttle worked best, even when it was hot.

You may want to look at the adjustment on the choke cable as it may not be right.

Give this sequence a try and see if it helps, and this is assuming that everything is in good order.

RandyA

I had the same problem on my '85. My '87 seems to last longer (meaning it can sit longer than my '85 did before this problem happens). I haven't had to do this to my '87 yet but with my '85 I put a bit of gas into a spray bottle, removed the air cleaner cover and sprayed a bit of gas right down the carbs while I was cranking it. It would fire up but if I tried to crack the throttle even a little bit, it would die. Spray a bit more gas to keep it going for a couple minutes and then it would idle fine... don't touch the throttle for a while to allow things to warm up.

Let's take this thing in a different direction. What kind of battery do you have installed and how old is it? My spin on this is the battery may be marginal, but as long as you ride it regularly it's charged to max, but if the bike sits for any extended time it looses charge and is not putting out enough amps to keep the motor turning over, as well as the coils fully charged, resulting in a weak spark. If it's a wet cell battery, and it has a few years on it, it may be your problem.

Let's take this thing in a different direction. What kind of battery do you have installed and how old is it? My spin on this is the battery may be marginal, but as long as you ride it regularly it's charged to max, but if the bike sits for any extended time it looses charge and is not putting out enough amps to keep the motor turning over, as well as the coils fully charged, resulting in a weak spark. If it's a wet cell battery, and it has a few years on it, it may be your problem.

I agree on that because my '87 has a much better battery than what my '85 had and even a new battery, if it's a cheap one, won't give the best cranking power under poor conditions such as what we're talking about.

SilvrT....I had also thought of trying to squirt a little gas down each carb throat... with air filter removed....to see if it would fire quicker. Since you have tried it with some success...I will also. Maybe can eliminate if it is fuel related. Thanks.

SilvrT....I had also thought of trying to squirt a little gas down each carb throat... with air filter removed....to see if it would fire quicker. Since you have tried it with some success...I will also. Maybe can eliminate if it is fuel related. Thanks.

I also used this method to get my son's Sportster running after it had been sitting for 3 yrs. Brand new battery....it just wouldn't fire up...removed the filter, squirted gas in and voila` ... but it would die as soon as that gas was used so had to keep squirting gas to keep her running. Noticed that the slider in the carb was stuck from sitting so long so had to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning.

ps...squirt the gas while you're cranking it and watch out for backfire out the carb (don't ask me how I know this) LOL

Drive/start it often!!! Carbs, batteries, brakes and seals do not like sitting without use. When I was in the frozen north (hated it) I started mine at least every other week. Let it warm up and run it threw the gears on the center stand and press the brake levers.

Could this occur if the fuel petcock was left open? I had this same problem on my 2003 and I must admit I never turn the fuel petcock off.

Roadkill,

It would have an effect unless the carb bowl jets didnt seat properly, and leaked gas into the cylinders..there by flooding them. You would smell gas..

As you know I have an 05 RSV, and I have left the pet cock valve open on mine since day one and I only move it to reserve when I have to.. Once I fill back up, it goes in its normal open position and stays there...and I have never had any problems with mine starting from doing this. Many here leave theres open too.

In his case, I believe it would be the holes (or cracks) in the rubber Carb Diaphrams, as was already mentioned above