While i am a way from home my boss decided to get my 2nd gen up and running. Today while out riding it it died on him he said he was going along at 55 with the cruise on when it happened. No matter what he did the bike would not start again. While waiting for a ride he decided to check the tank the gauge said it was a 3rd full he opened the cap and says he had a lot of gas pressure escape then all of a sudden the bike caught when he tried it. I know back in the days with cars this happened but i have never heard of it happening to a bike so i wonder is vapor lock what really happened or might it be something else

While i am a way from home my boss decided to get my 2nd gen up and running. Today while out riding it it died on him he said he was going along at 55 with the cruise on when it happened. No matter what he did the bike would not start again. While waiting for a ride he decided to check the tank the gauge said it was a 3rd full he opened the cap and says he had a lot of gas pressure escape then all of a sudden the bike caught when he tried it. I know back in the days with cars this happened but i have never heard of it happening to a bike so i wonder is vapor lock what really happened or might it be something else
It was vapor lock, I've had it happen to me twice. I was told by the dealer that if you fill the tank too full, it closes off the breather tube, and wala, vapor lock. I've still been filling it pretty full, but I guess it has something to do with the conditions as I haven't had it happen again for at least 3 years. :whistling:

The 1st Gens have a Vent or call it breather line, just to right of filler cap. It has a restrictor installed where the hose connects to the tank.

--- I don't know exactly what the 2nd gens have, but I assume something similiar.

Take a look at the IPC, might show it.

I have heard of these restrictors getting plugged, on the 1st gens.

------------------------------

I just looked at the IPC, the breather pipe comeing from just forward and a little right of filler cap runs down to a gizmo called, a " roll over valve " then to another hose, which I assume goes down to a drain position. Could be the roll over valve is pluged, just guessing here.

Check, where the pipe connects to top of tank, remove it, and check for a restrictor, with a very small hole thru it. This might be pluged.

I just went through all that a couple months ago... Same thing-

the bike would die out. Take the plastic cover off the tank and

find a hose and put it over the vent tube and try to blow into it.

My Vent from the tank (the metal part was rusted closed)

I even changed out my roll-over valve as well. that was

not the problem though. If you blow into the vent hose and

the line is clear then your valve is OK.

I ended up having to straighten out my metal vent tube and

drill a very small hole through it.

everything is A-OK now.

I also have a 2000 RSV

The roll-over valve will be located right next to your filter.

good luck!

Jeff

----------

just a side note...

I tried Everything the un-plug that vent. (before having the bend it upright)

A one foot long hose full of sea-foam sitting for a week attached to the vent.

A Piano Wire to try and clear out the vent. (the bend is to much for the wire to turn)

I was so afraid of the vent breaking off, but I took my time and it went straight and

I was able to drill a 1/16 hole all the way through it. and was able to curve it back!

(filled my tank FULL to the top with fuel added WD 40 into vent and drilled VERY SLOW)

I did not want to blow-up!