Guest Vermincelli

Even with the vents closed I get alot of heat coming through the plastic panels. I am going to get some of the heat shield material with adhesive backing this weekend and stick it on the back as well as wrapping the rear exhaust manifolds with exhaust heatwrap.

my dainty little legs get a tad too warm too :)

Just a thought, but in closing off all the airflow coming out of the motor, as tight as it is under there, will it eventually cause heat-soak stress to the motor? And would adding insulation to the underside of the panels make it even hotter under there? I have been contemplating (thinking- for those in Rio Lindo, Ca.) doing the same to mine, but haven't justified it yet. There was aprevious post in here on how to make the inserts for the early side covers.

Dan:stirthepot:

Just a thought, but in closing off all the airflow coming out of the motor, as tight as it is under there, will it eventually cause heat-soak stress to the motor? And would adding insulation to the underside of the panels make it even hotter under there? I have been contemplating (thinking- for those in Rio Lindo, Ca.) doing the same to mine, but haven't justified it yet. There was aprevious post in here on how to make the inserts for the early side covers.

Dan:stirthepot:

good question. I think that if it did yamaha wouldn't have made them for the later models?? Being a water cooled motor might keep everything under control.

Even though water cooled, heat does have to go somewhere, coming off radiator. Remember that 86's and up came with the closable vents from the factory, so there must be ventilation space. Some heat comes out the side openings at the front, right behind the rad and in front of the lower fairing. I think some heat flows back between the engine and the plastic heat shields to exit in front of the rear wheel. Some finds its way out below the side covers onto the calves, no matter what you do!

Since a bunch of heat flows just inside the side covers, they get real hot too. I glued automotive underhood insulation, the stuff with the foil on one side, inside the cover so the outside surface wouldn't get quite as hot, and have pieces of the stuff that I duct-tape behind the closed vents in the summer. It's soooo worth it. Those vents, when open in the winter, provide a nice little flow of warm air onto cold legs. Hence, in the summer in Tucson, it's darn unpleasant to have any air coming out of them!

Jeremy

Guest Vermincelli

Yep, looks like mine's got the sensor in it.

Took it out today in 95-100 degrees for a desert run to test the cooling system and it ran at the halfway mark most of the time, fan kicked on around the 3/4 mark.

I flushed the system last night and refilled it with water + water wetter too just to be on the safe side. The water wetter is definately a must have for 1st gens.