IGNORED

Any problems with luggage racks?

I'm thinking of putting a luggage rack on my '09 RSV. Had one on a Goldwing 1500 and got a lot of use out of it. Any excessive reports of trunk lid cracking? Anyone know the weight limit on them? Tricks or tips? Thanks in advance for any insights.

I've had mine on the bike since 1999. No problems at all so far. On trips, I have a decent sized overnight back that I put on it. Not very heavy, maybe 10-15 lbs. I do have the Yamaha rack which has some long chromed metal strips which helps distribute the weight instead of it all being at the mounting points.

I bought and installed a JC Whitney luggage rack on my 05 RSV and I will never buy another chrome piece from JCW...

The weld constantly rusts, and the very cheap chrome is spotted in several places...

I have heard from others where they experienced cracking in the weld joints...

So for what its worth... dont buy a JCW luggage rack...

spend another 40 or 50 bucks and get what you pay for...:thumbsup2:

Guest BluesLover

I actually had a Gold Wing Rack on my 06. As you can see from the picture below, it got loaded to the gills on many a trip, and I never had any problems with cracking.

Cheers,

I have the Yamaha rack and have had 30lbs+ on mine for many trips with no problems.

+1 the recommended limit is 10lbs, but we have done two long trips with 30lb+ (just try to get my wife to pack only 10lbs of stuff) twice not a problem.

Contrary to ECK's post, I have had the JC Whitney luggage rack on my RSMV for seven years without problems. It looks great and I have made numerous cross country trips with it loaded heavy.

Hmm, do I sense a battle here???

No battle here Dave... I guess it is possible that I got a defective one...:confused24:

I have thought many times of taking it off and sending it out for re-chroming, but never did it.. :think:

eck

you're not alone....i also have the whitney rack and it is doing the same thing......local chromer says $110 to re-do it..........i used fender type washers ( stainless steel ) to mount it along with rubber washers ........so far ,no cracks......

eck

you're not alone....i also have the whitney rack and it is doing the same thing......local chromer says $110 to re-do it..........i used fender type washers ( stainless steel ) to mount it along with rubber washers ........so far ,no cracks......

No way will I ever pay $110.00 to have this cheap thing re-chromed..........

I would buy a new Yamaha or GW rack for around the same price as that. :thumbsup2:

Guest BluesLover
No way will I ever pay $110.00 to have this cheap thing re-chromed..........

I would buy a new Yamaha or GW rack for around the same price as that. :thumbsup2:

I paid $50 for my GW rack, and that was from the local stealer too! (he did have it in a "year-end clearance" bin, though ...

Cheers,

I have the Yamaha rack on mine and I think the instructions said 10 lb limit. As you can see from above several people have put 3 times the recommended weight on theirs with out cracking the trunk. I have seen other aftermarket racks out there for the RSV that look nice from a distance but I have not seen one up close. The aftermarket rack I saw has a design that appears to me to obstruct the loading of flat objests as the center section behind the seat is higher and tapers towards the back of the rack. No problem I guess as long as whatever you put on the back is not ridged. The Yamaha rack does not have that problem but is more expensive. I have never heard of the trunk on the RSV cracking as I have the Goldwing. I have also seen different size bolt heads used on the Yamaha rack to attach it to the trunk. I have heard of people putting tape and velcro and other things on the boltheads to keep them from stracting their helmets. I purchased some bolts like the majority of allen bolts (sorry I don't know the proper name for these bolts) only a little longer and went to Lowe's or Home Depot and I got these little plastic caps. You put the bolt throught the plastic ring end of the cap, thighten down the bolt and then snap the cap closed enclosing the bolt head. Works great! Or the cheap way you can just put your helmet in the trunk upside down.

Harry:cool10:

• 3 weeks later...

what kind of harley did that rack come off of? I think I can find one of those easier on ebay or used than one from yamaha. I am going to start getting stuff for the bike and try to find other things that I can make work and can get cheaper but still look good for it. Thanks

Guest tx2sturgis

The stated weight limit probably has more to do with overall bike handling. Too much weight that high and that far back past the rear axle can cause handling issues...or so say the lawyers....

I have the Yamaha Rack and no problems with the lid. However, my trunk is cracked where it bolts down to the framing. So if you put a lot of weight in and on top of the trunk, pull up the floor inside your trunk and check it out. Maybe it is my wife leaning back too hard...