IGNORED

Selling Venture-Comparing Venture to Streetglide

WIKD

Well I took the 2009 Streetglide for a ride and put just about 400 miles on it. 326 solo and 46 with the wife. After all the riding I do believe that the Streetglide is what I am looking for so the Venture has been placed in the classifieds.

I did want to share my thoughts in case anyone is interested. I'll start by saying I'm 6' and 205 pounds with long legs and long arms. My wife is 5'6 and about 150 pounds so that should give you a comparison as to how we fit both bikes. I will start with my opinion on looks. I just think that the Streetglide is a much better looking bike than the Venture. Probably because it's sportier looking but also I prefer straight boxy lines which lends itself better to the Harley than the Venture.

I was surprised just how close the overall comparison was in many other aspects so I'll just hit the more drastic ones. The two things that were the furthest apart were power, which the Venture has more of and pulls harder, and weight/balance where the Harley is far superior, especially at low speeds. Holding any highway speed without using cruise control on the Harley is something you constantly need to adjust. I've gotten used to finding a speed and basically just holding my grip on the RSV and it riding down the road at that speed. Not so on the streetglide. There were constant modifications needed to hold 75 mph and up hill at speed you could really feel the power difference. just the opposite at low speed. I could flick the streetglide around like it was the Warrior without a care. Cornered great, I've been told due to the new frame in 2009, and handled any twisty I could find. Almost shocking compared to the last Harley I rode. I will mention that the streetglides brakes weren't exactly confidence inspiring but I think in part that was due to being a rental. There was a bit of pulsation that others I have spoken to say is not normal on their bikes and this one faded quickly. I know some here don't like the brakes on the RSV but I do. have never run into a problem with them and have complete confidence in mine.

The short windshield did not keep the wind out of my face but it did keep the pressure from hitting me in the chest. On my Warrior at highway speeds it always feels like I'm hanging on due to the wind pressure hitting me in the chest. The wide fairing on the streetglide blocks that and I get buffeting at the top of my helmet. Not too awful bad but it's there. The plus side is due to the sitting arrangement my wife believes that she gets bounced around a lot less by the wind on the streetglide. However she isn't exactly pleased with how far she needs to spread her knees to sit on the bike. She believes she can get used to it but it is better on the RSV.

The other thing that saddens me is the stereo situation. Yamaha is a premier sound system company. Why don't they share a little of the quality with the motorcycle division. The two speaker system on the Harley sounds so much better than the 4 on the RSV that it is noticeable. Also there is no provision for intercom on the streetglide. Wife hates that fact but I'm still undecided. :-)

There is a little less leg room for me but the pull to the bars was about right so I feel once I put a set of highway bars on I'll be good.

All in all the streetglide will blend the attributes I am looking for between my Warrior and Venture. It won't be as good a tourer as the Venture, but I can't really think of anything that is, or as sporty as the Warrior but it will work. And the bottom line is what someone else here pointed out. Life is short. If you want something and can find a way to buy it then do it. Although I do not feel that the Harley is worth that much more than the Venture, if I want it that's what I have to pay.

Edited by WIKD

Also there is no provision for intercom on the streetglide. Wife hates that fact but I'm still undecided.

My bike doesn't have an intercom system, and me and the s/o are perfectly happy with a ChatterBox setup. I'm using an older (I believe discontinued HJC 80 setup), and the sound quality is just fine. Not only that, but since I didn't opt for the stereo option on mine, I'm able to plug my Zune right into the ChatterBox and listen to music right through the headsets. That point may not be crucial since the bike you're considering has the stereo.

Just wanted to add this... I was looking at buying an '09 Ultra in Nov. Sticker at that time was 24,900 which included ABS. Guy told me that due to the decline of the Can dollar, prices would jump considerably before end of the year. As it turned out, I couldn't afford the Ultra and bought my '06 RSMV. I was in the Harley dealership just before xmas to buy my son's xmas gift and sure enuf, same Ultra...price up by 3 grand!

Have you noticed that difference?

Good Comparison. Last Aug our West Trip was with friends Dave & Maria that have a Ultra Classic. Dave 5'9" 260, Maria 5'6'' 160 both big bone. I'm 6' 210, Charlene 5'3" 140. We switched bikes for a bit. I felt the Harley diffently had more responce of power at take off, and lower speeds. It also handled a little better. At higher speeds the RSV. I like the look of the RSV fairing, but the Ultra blocks the wind better. Charlene and I are so used to the length of RSV, to us, it is much more comfortable, especially for her. I did not really care for the constant vibration from motor thru my hands, it was a numming feeling after awhile. I like the guages on the Ultra, but I also like the dash on the RSV, even trade. The Ultra had a spot for a round flat disc that plays music, never herd of such a thing, must be new. To me when you buy a bike it should Fit You, not everyone around you. To me, I like the RSV, but the Harley is a close second.

I have a friend who rides with me who has a road glide, and if I ever went to buy a Harley, I would buy a road glide..

He and I put many a mile on together and his road glide runs like a top, his stereo sounds great, and there is somehting about the way it looks going down the highwayt at 70 mph that catches my eye.. He has not had one problem with is since he bought it two years ago, and he runs the tar out of it..

Yep, if I ever decided to switch to Hrley, it would be a road glide...

but I love my liquid silver as I just about have it fixed up now where I want it..:thumbsup2:

Guest BluesLover
I was in the Harley dealership just before xmas to buy my son's xmas gift and sure enuf, same Ultra...price up by 3 grand!

Have you noticed that difference?

Same thing here. When I bought my black Ultra in October, there was a two-tone white/silver on the floor. Same bike is still there, but its now $2,500 more.

Cheers,

I have an 05 Harley Ultra Classic and a 05 Yamaha Venture. The ultra has a 103 c.i. motor which makes it faster than the venture. I get a lot more wind in the face on the Harley cause it blows up between the fairing and the tank. The harley is more user friendly at low speeds , being a smaller bike probably helps. I like them both for different reasons. Both good bikes, but you,ll save money by buying a venture.

Being it was a rental the mufflers and air filter were stock. When you get yours change the mufflers to performance mufflers and the air filter to a high flow and you will pick up about 14 more BHP. Remap the EFI and add another 10BHP. All bikes are detuned to meet EPA and the Harley is no exception. I have the 09 Ultra and I don't have any problem with running down the road at the same speed without the cruise. It took a bit of getting used to as far as the electronic throttle was concerned. The only thing I wish the Ultra had is more cockpit room, but I have gotten used to that. If you do your own work you will notice that Harley uses quality stuff, even the connectors are spece shuttle quality.

I paid $24K for my 09 with extras last Nov. I was in the dealership yesterday and the Ultra is still $24K with the same extras. Owner said he would not be supprised to see the $$$ come down a bit because of the economy, everyone is hurting including Harley who laid off over 900.

You will find things on the Harley and compare them to the Venture for about 2 months. They are both great bikes in their own way.

Happy riding.