IGNORED

Rear frame first gen and 2nd gen ???

Hi Randya :happy34:! It's that ;)! I want to put 92 saddlebags on a 85 model :think:! All the rear of a 92 on a rear frame of 85 ! But I don't know if the rear frames are the same ! The rear frame of the 85 (1200 model) and the rear frame of the 92 (1300 venture model !) My problem is only the rear frame !!! Thanks for all ! Bikers Friendships :happy34::happy34::happy34:! barry-only-n7

Hi Randya :happy34:! It's that ;)! I want to put 92 saddlebags on a 85 model :think:! All the rear of a 92 on a rear frame of 85 ! But I don't know if the rear frames are the same ! The rear frame of the 85 (1200 model) and the rear frame of the 92 (1300 venture model !) My problem is only the rear frame !!! Thanks for all ! Bikers Friendships :happy34::happy34::happy34:! barry-only-n7

No, they will not fit directly but can be made to fit. What you need to do is change the 83 - 86 rear sub frame assembly to the newer 86 - 93. Where ever your getting your bags and trunk from you just need to get the whole assembly that has the bags, trunk, crash bars, rear fender and passenger grab bars.

Dick

Barry, the chrome saddlebag crash bars/mounting frame for the '86 - '92 DOES mount on to the black rear subframe on the '83 - '85 so if you have all of the chrome frame pieces then everything should bolt right up. You will also need the third chrome piece that goes across the back between the left and right saddlebag mounts for stability. You should also install the chrome pasenger grab bars as a convenience as your existing grab bars will not work. The black rear subframe should be the same. You will also have to use the turn signals from the newer saddlebags as the early '83 - '85 turn signals won't fit.

I think you werre confusing people here as they normally refer to the '00 - '09 RSV as the 2nd beneration Venture. They refer to the First Generation as the '93 - '92 with the '93 - '85 as the 1st generation Mark (Mk) 1 and the '86 - '92 as the 1st gen Mk 2...

Barry, the chrome saddlebag crash bars/mounting frame for the '86 - '92 DOES mount on to the black rear subframe on the '83 - '85 so if you have all of the chrome frame pieces then everything should bolt right up. You will also need the third chrome piece that goes across the back between the left and right saddlebag mounts for stability. You should also install the chrome pasenger grab bars as a convenience as your existing grab bars will not work. The black rear subframe should be the same. You will also have to use the turn signals from the newer saddlebags as the early '83 - '85 turn signals won't fit.

I think you werre confusing people here as they normally refer to the '00 - '09 RSV as the 2nd beneration Venture. They refer to the First Generation as the '93 - '92 with the '93 - '85 as the 1st generation Mark (Mk) 1 and the '86 - '92 as the 1st gen Mk 2...

I've never changed mine so You could be right but I don't think so. It's been awhile since I was wanting to change mine over but the information that I received then was that the sub-frame had to be changed as the newer bag rails and trunk mounts were different. I just went and checked the parts schematics and the sub-frames part numbers are different from 83-85 and 86-93. The pictures look different also.

Dick

Ahhh!! Forgot about the trunk. The bag hardware bolts right up, but yes the trunk rack is different. I used an '85 so it just bolts on in place of the '84. Actualy, all 3 trunk mounts use the same basic frame with extra stuff added on for each version, i.e. the '85 had extra support welded on, and for the '86 up they added the arms that come down and bolt on to the subframe. I know the saddlebag chrome pieces work as I've already had them bolted up to mine...

• 2 weeks later...