IGNORED

Radiator

Ivan

In the process of pulling the starter on my first gen, I found that the small nipple of the radiator was merely held in by JB weld, which I completely disdain, and when wiggled just a smidge fell clear out.

After looking at some of the ebay prices, and trying to shop around for a used one, I took mine to the radiator shop and asked if it could be fixed. He said "absolutely, won't be a problem". I asked if he could flush and leak test it as well, and asked the expected price.

Then he drooped his head and said, "Well, for something like that it is pretty expensive."

I thought, "Oh hell"

Then he said, "I feel like I am stealing from you, but the time is what you are paying for. I have to ask for thirty bucks."

I said, "Well, a guy has to make his money." :whistling::banana::hihi:

I never gave a thought about it before, but with some of our bikes running hot during the summer months, as in the case of the '83 and it being 26 years old, I wonder if boiling the radiator out might be something to consider in the general maintenence scheme of things???

Well, I got it back today, leak tested, cleaned and a nice job of TiG welding done on the broken part.

Then I took apart the thermostat housing to replace the tstat. I will need to bead blast that to get all the junk out of it.

One question about the drain valve. How does it work? I looked it over today and can't seem to find any place that the coolant is to come out. It appears that there is a hole that lines up with the small hose out of the bottom of the radiator and that it only opens or closes this port. I'm stumped

Well, I got it back today, leak tested, cleaned and a nice job of TiG welding done on the broken part.

Then I took apart the thermostat housing to replace the tstat. I will need to bead blast that to get all the junk out of it.

One question about the drain valve. How does it work? I looked it over today and can't seem to find any place that the coolant is to come out. It appears that there is a hole that lines up with the small hose out of the bottom of the radiator and that it only opens or closes this port. I'm stumped

The drain valve only opens the system to allow drainage. The drains themselves are under the covers on the sides of the cylinders and on the tube adjacent to the water pumo (lower right side). For a better description, see the maintenance manual.