IGNORED

Changed Clutch Can't Find Neutral

Well I broke it!!! I changed out friction plates on the clutch on the '87 Venture and lined up the double notches on the clutch boss and put every thing back together the way it came off and after riding it everything was smooth untill it came time to find neutral and it jumped to 2nd. I kept trying to find neutrol untill the housing that holds the shift shaft broke. I have two questions. What would cause the scoot to have a hard to find neutrol after the clutch change and where can I find a new/used housing. I have brought the scoot with me (back of truck) along with the family to SW Florida to do some riding this week and am bummed. Any ideas? Please help with some feedback.Thanks a bunch you guys!!!!:mytruck1:

A clutch that disengages incompletely will make neutral hard to find with the bike running. Shut off it should be fine. Were you able to find neutral with the engine off?

I'm unclear which housing you broke. Do you mean the side cover where the shaft passes through - right next to the shift lever? If so, did you have that cover off for some reason?

i had a new clutch installed by the local stealer and it worked for 6000 miles then it did the same thing yours is doing , could not get it into netural. It would go in if you turned off motor. It then started to slip in 4th and 5th when i gased it, so i got a barnett clutch and there spring conversion kit. when i took it apart the wire that holds the dampner in place was twisted into many pieces. installed new clutch dampner, new wire ,friction plates, metal plates and all is good. if your wire came loose it could cause it not to go into netural. worked for me. hope it works for you.

:thumbsup:

Thanks!!! The cover that I broke is the left main cover that has the shift lever comming out of it. I will check on E-Bay to see if I can find one . Anybody want to sell one? If so please let me know. I have been away from my computer for several days so sorry for my slow get back.

THANKS TO ALL!!!!