IGNORED

Garmin POIs for Yamaha Dealers

Freebird

OK folks...as I await the arrival of m Zumo 550, I'm already trying to learn about it. I rode with a guy one day that had all the Yamaha Dealers installed as POIs. Do any of you know where I can get that file? Are there other interesting POIs that I should know about?

Thanks

By the way...I noticed that the Honda, Kawasaki, etc. files are .csv but the Yamaha is gpx

Will either format work?

It's been a while since I looked at it but I think the csv files work. You will probably need to download the POI Loader from Garmin.

Dennis

Don - Look at the converter programs. There are a bunch of different ones to move POIs from one format to another. That way you can use Tom-Tom, Magellan etc. CSV is comma separated values and may not be native for the Garmin. The converters also allow for moving columns of information so they display in the right area.

JB

Guest tx2sturgis
Don't forget to load the Verturider.org member POI file.

Dennis

I made THAT mistake one time. Wont happen again.

Nothing personal of course. But I remember getting those files for several states in my GPS, and for whatever reason, (operator error?) they ended up as waypoints and routes, rather than a POI file. The difference is, when loaded as a 'POI', the file doesnt take up much room, and it doesnt deplete any of the space allocated for the 500 waypoints. However, I somehow loaded it as a waypoint or favorites file, and it ended up useing nearly all the space for the 500 waypoints, and besides, there were no phone numbers in the file...so what good was the file when your on the road? The lat and long for most of the members was the town center, so that made the info pretty useless. There were also a bunch of routes and waypoints that included camping areas and favorite restaraunts and even..get this...DAIRY QUEENS in several states!

:doh:

Topping it all off, being a GPS newbie at the time, I didnt realize that the file was now being pumped into the next 2 GPS units I hooked up to the computer. So then I had to do a hardware reset on all 3 GPS units, and then manually delete the un-wanted waypoints from the wanted ones in the computer, then reload all the desired waypoints back into the GPS units. And I'm STILL finding occasional waypoints that either I have to delete manually, or I have to re-enter manually.

Short version: If you add any sort of large file, make sure its a true 'POI' file, not a favorites or waypoints file. If you use a 'POI loader' to load the file, its a POI file. If you use the normal mapping software to access, read, and upload and download waypoints, then you are using the limited waypoints memory in the GPS.

On the Garmins at least, when using the GPS on the road, you can easily delete waypoints or favorites, one by one, or add new ones. But the POI files, once loaded, are sort of permanent. You have to hook back up to the computer to delete or change any of those files.

While on the road you can SAVE the POI places to your favorites, and then you can easily access and change or delete that info, while its in the favorites or waypoints.

Hope this info is helpful to anyone thats just getting involved with these units and the software for programming them. Maybe it will save someone a little time and frustration.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Did any of you get the poi-factory files loaded and working? I got on their web-site and registered last night. Screen said they would be sending me a password by email, but as of yet, I haven't heard from them. Any luck, out there? Larry

Guest tx2sturgis
Did any of you get the poi-factory files loaded and working? I got on their web-site and registered last night. Screen said they would be sending me a password by email, but as of yet, I haven't heard from them. Any luck, out there? Larry

Check your junk and trash folders to make sure the email wasnt discarded by your email program.

I made THAT mistake one time. Wont happen again.

Nothing personal of course. But I remember getting those files for several states in my GPS, and for whatever reason, (operator error?) they ended up as waypoints and routes, rather than a POI file. The difference is, when loaded as a 'POI', the file doesnt take up much room, and it doesnt deplete any of the space allocated for the 500 waypoints. However, I somehow loaded it as a waypoint or favorites file, and it ended up useing nearly all the space for the 500 waypoints, and besides, there were no phone numbers in the file...so what good was the file when your on the road? The lat and long for most of the members was the town center, so that made the info pretty useless. There were also a bunch of routes and waypoints that included camping areas and favorite restaraunts and even..get this...DAIRY QUEENS in several states!

There are phone number attached to some members files. If they didn't provide their phone number I did not include it. Most members did not want to give out their exact GPS coordinates, which is why I used the center of town as a location. The point was to get you close where you could call to get further directions to the members home.

I will be happy to update the file with this information if the members wish to give it out.

Have a good holiday.

Jim

Guest tx2sturgis
There are phone number attached to some members files. If they didn't provide their phone number I did not include it. Most members did not want to give out their exact GPS coordinates, which is why I used the center of town as a location. The point was to get you close where you could call to get further directions to the members home.

I will be happy to update the file with this information if the members wish to give it out.

Have a good holiday.

Jim

Hey Jim...you made a great attempt to be helpful. I'm just not sure this is ready for prime time. It might be better to just compile all the names and addresses of those who wish to be contacted, such as for assistance, and either A: Print them out on a piece of paper, or maybe B: Print them all to a file, one that is accessible, and then load them into a small capacity inexpensive SD card that can plug into the Garmins and others. One of the problems with filling up the waypoints or favorites with these member files is that they take up valuable space which is best used for on-the-fly waypoint marking. If the data is loaded as a POI file, (in the 'Extras' folder on the Garmin units) then there is no problem because the POI space is much more compressed and efficient.

Apparently somehow, I made the mistake of loading them as a waypoints file, not really understanding the difference at the time I did this. All the members info showed up and was occupying space in the GPS's favorites area. And later, when I added 2 more GPS units, ( I have a handheld for geocaching, a mobile for the bike/pickup, and a third programmed for use in my work truck) the non-relevant info was unknowingly transferred to the other 2 units, where it was depleting memory and providing no usable service.

In your instructions, you might modify and clarify for the newbies. I was a newbie once...we all were.

Otherwise, thanks for your time and patience with GPS dummies like myself.

Help

I read the thread for the POI"S I have registered and receive my password.

I downloaded the yamaha US and Canada files but can"t find it on my Zumo.

They are not in my favorites not in suppletments and when I type the yamaha in the POI's it take a long time to find one and it's 340km from my place.

Does anybody have an explanation

Oh yes knowing this group it is not the guy behind the Zumo that is the problem...HI HI HI!:15_8_211[1]: