IGNORED

1st gen (83-86) flasher circuitry

While the bike is apart this winter I want to upgrade the flasher to a modern flasher that can handle LED lights. I see that the flasher needed is a 3 wire type but I'm confused as to how the canceller works.

What signal does the canceller send to the flasher? does it send it a +12V when it wants to cancel the flasher? does it ground it? I have the wiring diagram but it does not explain how the flasher system works at all. I'm trying to figure out what kind of flasher to buy that will go in place and support LED turn signals and still retain the bikes functionality.

What speed does the flasher cancel trigger? How to I make it more reliable as it sometimes does not cancel and sometimes it does.

Thanks!

All functions are internal inside the Existing Flasher Unit.

As to changing the Turn signals to LED to Save power, remember, the flashers are on for a Very small amount of time. There is really no reason to change the flasher bulbs to LED, for energy saveings if that is what your plan is.

Better to spend you effort on the Tail lights and front running lights to save energy.

Or spend the money on the Odyessy PC-680 Dry Cell Battery. Money better spent.

My 2 cents worth on the subject.

Also, on the tail light assembly, note that the back plate under the Red Cover is painted with a dull silver gray paint. I just installed, a piece of Tin Foil , to give a more reflective surface. It does appear to make some difference.

I'm looking for something better though for this mod. It does seem to help.

Also, the 2357LL bulb is a bit higher wattage ( 28.5W/ 8.3 W ) Instead of a standare 1157 for Tail/brake and Front marker/blinker.

Also, I just made a modification to my Rear Amber Blinkers, Took out the stock 1057, and installed Modified 2357LL. I put a solder bridge across the two contact points on the new bulb, and ground off one of the Pins. With this Modification , both of the " Filaments " work for the Amber Flasher on the Rear.

( just finished this mod 30 min. ago, anyway going to give it a try )

I have some 3 watt LED amber turn signal lamps that are insane bright that I use in my sports car. I wanted to upgrade the bike to use them to help get more attention from cagers. I tried the just put them in and see what happens, the bike does not like them as expected.

These things are far brighter than any light bulb, and come on instantly which is startling which is the effect I am after.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

the 1156 and 1157 http://www.superbrightleds.com/store/html/images/1157-xLX3.jpg BA15 3-Watt LED bulb

These are what I use in my car and they are blindingly bright. at least 2X brighter than the regular bulbs and 20X brighter than any other LED replacements I have found. they fill the light in the lens as well instead of being a point of light like the other types.

When I can look in my review and see the faces of people in cars being well illuminated by my brake lamp or turn signals I'm really happy. My car I have tinted the tail light assembly so they are not as blindingly bright as I have 4 of them for brake and 2 for each turn blinker. On the bike though I want them as bright as possible so that there is no excuse of "I did not see him stopping" as they come on really quick and are really bright.

the 1156 and 1157 BA15 3-Watt LED bulb

These are what I use in my car and they are blindingly bright. at least 2X brighter than the regular bulbs and 20X brighter than any other LED replacements I have found. they fill the light in the lens as well instead of being a point of light like the other types.

When I can look in my review and see the faces of people in cars being well illuminated by my brake lamp or turn signals I'm really happy. My car I have tinted the tail light assembly so they are not as blindingly bright as I have 4 of them for brake and 2 for each turn blinker. On the bike though I want them as bright as possible so that there is no excuse of "I did not see him stopping" as they come on really quick and are really bright.

Yikes!! At $23 bucks a pop I think one of the others LED types would do, or stick with the tungston 2357 or 2356.....

I am not completely familiar with the Venture yet (yet :scratchchin:) but on the xs1100 site, guys are replacing the flasher unit with a heavy duty flasher for trucks with lots of lights. The new flasher can be put in and the third wire just left with nothing on it. Of course this disables the automatic shut off feature, which only works half the time on the XS if you're lucky, so it isn't missed.

the 1156 and 1157 http://www.superbrightleds.com/store/html/images/1157-xLX3.jpg BA15 3-Watt LED bulb

Thanks much for that link !!! Great site, looks like they have just about Every LED Replacemet for Standard Auto Bulbs --

I'm going to try to find an LED replacement for the Instrument Panel also.

Did you do that?? How did it work, ??

Works fantastic, George, it's an old biker trick to get your rear light to be brighter. White reflects the full spectrum of light as opposed to silver or gray which is a variation of black which absorbs rather than reflects light unless they changed the rules of science...