IGNORED

Carb bowl gaskets

Do the carb bowl gaskets go bad often? Are they o-rings? If so, can they be replaced with bearing-and-seal-store o-rings? Is Buna rubber OK for this use - will it stand up to fuel exposure? Or do I need to get factory ones from Yammy?

Suggestions please!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Just curious Squeeze.. Is there any advantage to going direct price wise? And do they still supporting the carbs used on the Venture's??

I never cross checked this Parts, i mean Gaskets and such, but on the other Carb-Parts, Jets, Needles, Floater and Floater Valves are about 25 Percent cheaper than buying Yamaha Parts.

But it's Germany, Yammi has a very good Margin on the Parts Prices, compared to US. Even with a discount i get from my local Dealer, US is still a Lot cheaper. The Range is from 15 to 45 Percent, depending on the Part. Some are very expensive compared, at some there's not so much Difference. I never found out why this is so. My Dealer is still crying about some Prices they offer in U.S.

Mikuni, or better said their Rep. isn't supporting them Yammi Carbs at. Officially. But when you call them and say, hey i need that Idle Mixture Screw for the Vmax and the Spring and the O-Ring and this and that, i allways got the right Parts delivered. I have the Parts in need on the next Day, they draw the Money from Bank Account and i'm happy. Yammi Parts take 3 Days at least.

Edited by Squeeze

I never cross checked this Parts, i mean Gaskets and such, but on the other Carb-Parts, Jets, Needles, Floater and Floater Valves are about 25 Percent cheaper than buying Yamaha Parts.

But it's Germany, Yammi has a very good Margin on the Parts Prices, compared to US. Even with a discount i get from my local Dealer, US is still a Lot cheaper. The Range is from 15 to 45 Percent, depending on the Part. Some are very expensive compared, at some there's not so much Difference. I never found out why this is so. My Dealer is still crying about some Prices they offer in U.S.

Mikuni, or better said their Rep. isn't supporting them Yammi Carbs at. Officially. But when you call them and say, hey i need that Idle Mixture Screw for the Vmax and the Spring and the O-Ring and this and that, i allways got the right Parts delivered. I have the Parts in need on the next Day, they draw the Money from Bank Account and i'm happy. Yammi Parts take 3 Days at least.

Do you have an US contact source for Mikuni where you can order carb parts for 1st Gens.?

FWIW I used orings. I think they were a #149. Could have been a #159 though.

They were a bit of a chore to get in the groove, but not unattainable. I just loosely put the bolts in and used a small flat head screw driver to coax it into place as I tightened the bowl screws down.

One other thing I tried, and I am not sure if it would work was teflon faucet packing. You can buy it at Lowes for about $2. It contours to the groove nicely, and I would guess it would seal, but I never actually tried it with fuel, since I found the orings.

Ivan

the orings were made out of black rubber, nothing special.

I have heard lots of squabble over ony using viton orings in fuel applications, but, I figure that viton is a relatively new polymer, and they have had orings in carburetors since way before that.

I'd almost bet the originals weren't viton.

Squeeze, what do you mean, a 1 out of 50 ratio?

Ivan, do you know the material of the orings you used (type of rubber)?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I had a small Leak on one out of 50 Carb Bowls i maintained. Not bad at all. I used little Sealant and that Leak was cured. I had to replace 2 Seals due to cracking, but that Carb Set was in really bad Shape, worst Thing i've ever seen. Every other Rubber Part was shot on this Set.

The Material should be Perbunan.