IGNORED

Headlight bulb........

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Mike. That sounds like a lot of money. I'd spend it if I knew what I was getting, but I'm not the type to adopt something based on marketing claims.

I use this light. It is a H4 12v Osram Hyper Bulb, High Output Xenon Bulb. No tint

(NOT LEGAL FOR HIGHWAY USE) The one I buy has a 65 watt low beam and a 70 watt high beam. The extra wattage seems to be within the temp capacity of the headlight assembly and also within my bikes electrical system output. I like the extra light output. So far I have had no problem, but I've only used it for about 200 hours. To my way of thinking they should last more than a year on a bike. I've had them last forever, and I've had them last only a few months. The Sylvania silverstar is one that lasted only a few months.

Best of luck.

Edited by Stoutman

The Sylvania silverstar is one that lasted only a few months.

Best of luck.

I have had the Silverstar in my bike for 2 years and about 25,000 miles. It is a great improvement over stock. I have been very pleased.

However, I carry the stock bulb with me in my tool kit - along with an extra brake light.

RR

The Sylvania silverstar is one that lasted only a few months.

Best of luck.

I have had the Silverstar in my bike for 2 years and about 25,000 miles. It is a great improvement over stock. I have been very pleased.

However, I carry the stock bulb with me in my tool kit - along with an extra brake light.

RR

That is a good idea...carry a spare rear bulb and headlight buld. I see the headlight is a H4 bulb probably somewhere around 65W hi and 55W lo. How about the rear bulb, what type is it?

How many bolts to remove in order to replace that headlight bulb (just in case). Have not really looked at this yet, since I just bought the bike last Sept.

I like the light the Silverstar puts out, too. But my first one lasted less than a year in the Venture. It was a 9003 car model (physically the same as an H4) and somebody said the bike ones are more sturdy for vibration. So I bought a 2-pack of H4's for 50 bucks (the 9003 was $20 for one) and put them in my Venture and Virago, maybe 5 months ago. Virago's bulb burned out in 2 months. Venture is still going. Don't know what else to say about that!

Jeremy

Thanks to all for the info!

I am leaning towards putting in the following bulb:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_24714_150.jpg

PIAA Powersports H4 Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vibration Bulb (Single)

Cost about $45 but PIAA does not sell cheaply it seems.

And yes I intend to carry the OEM bulb as a spare on the bike.

I had a Silverstar, lasted 6 months. The light it put out was great, but it's too much of a pain in the final drive to change a headlight every 6 months.

I'm wondering if the vibration has anything to do with the short life span of these Silverstar bulbs:think:.......PIAA does offer a 1 year Warranty on their bulbs and they do specify anti-vibration.That is why I am leaning towards buying their bulb.

Maybe, but the Venture is not exactly a Harley in terms of vibration. It's not like cars don't vibrate, too! I thought when I got the Silverstar that was and MC-rated H4 it would be more vibe resistant. Seems to not be the case. Hopefully this PIAA bulb is.

What's ridiculous is that when I buy a 9-dollar H4 at Autozone, it lasts forever. I've also had aftermarket bulbs for about $15 which put out 100 W on the HI beam and they too lasted a long time (they can cause current and heat problems, though). The Silverstar is a fairly expensive, premium bulb, of standard wattage. Why should it be more delicate?

Jeremy

I like the light the Silverstar puts out, too. But my first one lasted less than a year in the Venture. It was a 9003 car model (physically the same as an H4) and somebody said the bike ones are more sturdy for vibration. So I bought a 2-pack of H4's for 50 bucks (the 9003 was $20 for one) and put them in my Venture and Virago, maybe 5 months ago. Virago's bulb burned out in 2 months. Venture is still going. Don't know what else to say about that!

Jeremy

I don't know if the MC and the car models are different or not... But what I do know is if you bought a 2 pack it was definetly the car model... The MC model comes in a single pack.. I'm on my 2nd Silverstar in 62,000 miles and just put the 2nd in this summer..

I'm going to try the PIAA and keep the OEM bulb as a backup. If the PIAA don't last a year I'll send it back to them for either a Refund or a new replacement.

Any bulb other than the OEM has got to better at lighting up the road....and that is my main goal here really. I consider lighting a major safety issue right up there with tires/brakes and riding with caution.

I don't know if the MC and the car models are different or not... But what I do know is if you bought a 2 pack it was definetly the car model... The MC model comes in a single pack.. I'm on my 2nd Silverstar in 62,000 miles and just put the 2nd in this summer..

Do you happen to know what kind bulb is on the rear of the Venture?

Do you happen to know what kind bulb is on the rear of the Venture?

MY 06 had the 1157 bulb. I replaced it with the high-intensity LED Pod that I bought from Cruiser Customizing for $60. The LED Pod comes with a pig-tail that fits right into the bulb holder. REALLY high visibility tail light!!

I carry the 1157 as a back-up bulb.

Thanks Boomer CPO. I think I may have some clear 1157's in my garage, however the LED Pod does sound like a very nice mod. What exactly is it called? I'll be checking Cruiser Customizing soon. So, is it just a plug and play kind of thing?

I don't remember the exact name for the unit. I put it on my bike last year. I suffer with CRS (Can't Remember S**t) LOL!

It is a Pod of led lights that fits on the inside of the light cover. The 2 bolts which hold the cover on also holds the Pod in place. The pigtail runs from the Pod and has the male 1157 plug which goes into the bulb holder.

Took me all of 3 minutes to install the gizmo....and I was born with 4 thumbs when it comes to stuff like this. LOL!

Edited by BoomerCPO
Spelling! LOL!

I found the 1157NA seem to be brighter, but some might have a problem with inspections though. The 1157NA is an amber bulb and the amber light through the red lens is quite bright.

That is true, it can be questionable around our town as well. As you know, the rear lens of the Venture has a clear part on the top part. With the amber amber bulb, it may not look kosher to the authorities.

I don't remember the exact name for the unit. I put it on my bike last year. I suffer with CRS (Can't Remember S**t) LOL!

It is a Pod of led lights that fits on the inside of the light cover. The 2 bolts which hold the cover on also holds the Pod in place. The pigtail runs from the Pod and has the male 1157 plug which goes into the bulb holder.

Took me all of 3 minutes to install the gizmo....and I was born with 4 thumbs when it comes to stuff like this. LOL!

I am searching in Cruiser Customizing with no luck...will try a different site later. Thanks.

I am searching in Cruiser Customizing with no luck...will try a different site later. Thanks.

You might be looking for this tail lighthttp://www.customdynamics.com/Images/vstar_genesis_small.jpg

I have one on my RSTD. It is plenty bright and saves a bit of power for other goodies. It has three white LEDs to illuminate the license plate. The rest are red. I first saw one on Bear's bike (Harry Solomon) last year in Colorado. I gave it a try and I like it.

I'll do some snooping on my end and see if I can be of more help to you.

Also....the LED Pod has a upper row of WHITE LED's for license plate illumination that is far better than the 1157 bulb as well.