IGNORED

Thinking about having my seat shaved, need advice

Who Dey

Hello all,

I am considering having my seat shaved on the Venture and was just wanting to hear from some people who have had it done. The bike fits me pretty well but i would like to have my feet more flat on the ground and was wondering how much this helps. I guess a few of my questions/concerns would be......

How much does it cost?

Does it effect the comfort of the seat any at all?

Is the foam shaved off the top off the seat or the sides, or both?

Who on here does it and how can i contact him?

I lowered the bike with the Barons rear lowering kit and it really helped alot and didn't have any negative effects on the bikes handling but it still wouldn't mind my feet being just a tad more secure on the ground. If shaving the seat will affect my comfort on long rides then i don't want to do it because as i said i am really ok with the bike, but if i can get my feet on the ground better without sacrificing any comort then i would like to have this done. It's way too cold to ride here in Ohio and i'm thinking this would be a good time to do this mod.

I would apprciate your responses on this if you have had this done to your bike. You can reply here or just send me an email here on the site. Thanks in advance.

Guest BluesLover
Hello all,

I am considering having my seat shaved on the Venture and was just wanting to hear from some people who have had it done. The bike fits me pretty well but i would like to have my feet more flat on the ground and was wondering how much this helps. I guess a few of my questions/concerns would be......

How much does it cost? Cost me about CDN$100

Does it effect the comfort of the seat any at all? Not at all

Is the foam shaved off the top off the seat or the sides, or both? I had 1 inch of foam taken off both sides

Who on here does it and how can i contact him? Don't know about here on the forum, but I had a local guy do it for me

I lowered the bike with the Barons rear lowering kit and it really helped alot and didn't have any negative effects on the bikes handling but it still wouldn't mind my feet being just a tad more secure on the ground. If shaving the seat will affect my comfort on long rides then i don't want to do it because as i said i am really ok with the bike, but if i can get my feet on the ground better without sacrificing any comort then i would like to have this done. It's way too cold to ride here in Ohio and i'm thinking this would be a good time to do this mod.

I would apprciate your responses on this if you have had this done to your bike. You can reply here or just send me an email here on the site. Thanks in advance.

See answers above. People would have to look real close to even notice that I had done it on my bike. And it did the trick - lowered it just enough to better manage my "height challenged body".

Cheers,

I had mine shaved by a local upholstery shop. The guy charged me about $40 US and it made world of difference. He only shaved from the side near the front of the seat. I am 5'8" and was seriously considering the barons lowering kit, but with the seat shaving and getting used to the bike I found that I did not need to lower it. I also moved to the smaller avon tire and now I have the perfect bike.

Terry,

What I do is more like a sculpture than a shaving. And in most all cases, I end up lowering it some but in special cases I lower it as much as I can, given that I don't want to sacrifice comfort either. Even though these are considered cruisers, they are also long range touring bikes and you need a seat that will last as long as a tank of gas or bladder (which ever comes first).

But one of my other considerations is also the tail bone relief, which takes the pressure off the tail bone and puts it on your sit bones. Then I top it off with a 1 1/2" layer of memory foam, which compresses down to about 1/4" when sat on, but gives your butt a very nice feeling. And in almost all cases, I narrow the neck of the seat to take the pressure off the inside of your legs.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Terry,

What I do is more like a sculpture than a shaving. And in most all cases, I end up lowering it some but in special cases I lower it as much as I can, given that I don't want to sacrifice comfort either. Even though these are considered cruisers, they are also long range touring bikes and you need a seat that will last as long as a tank of gas or bladder (which ever comes first).

But one of my other considerations is also the tail bone relief, which takes the pressure off the tail bone and puts it on your sit bones. Then I top it off with a 1 1/2" layer of memory foam, which compresses down to about 1/4" when sat on, but gives your butt a very nice feeling. And in almost all cases, I narrow the neck of the seat to take the pressure off the inside of your legs.

Hope this helps,

Rick

If you don't want to spend the $$$ on a custom seat let Rick do it. He did mine and he did exactly as I asked - lowered, some off the sides and more "butt" space in the back. The nice part with it lowered, I can add my sheepskin to it and still be comfortable.

Shep

Just got mine done and Rick and should get it tommorrow. He's a good man to do business with, evryone here seems to be happy with his work, price is right, and turnaround time is excellent!

That's what i hear. No need for the quick turn around for me right now though, i live in Ohio and i wont be doing any riding anytime soon. It's freezing here!!!