IGNORED

not Bike related

Kregerdoodle

Any one ever re-built a auto Trany ?? My son and I are going to give it a shot, he has a Z71 and the trany is toast, he baught the re-build kit ( Borg-Warner ) it came with a DVD and instruction manuel, so it may not be to bad, if all turns out good it will save him around a grand, they want $300 for a junk yard trany and after all the work it may be no good also, so thought we would try this our selves. any tips would be great!!

Thanks,

Kreg

I have used a shop to rebuild turbo 350 and 400 and he won't mess with the newer electronic controlled transmissions. He recommends to get one from a reputable rebuilder. It has to do with the electronic things that he can't test. For what it is worth I would shop the GM dealers for the best price. They have a warranty program that covers parts and labor no matter who installed it. Good luck.

....and never trust the first estimate you get on your tranny problems.

My truck all of a sudden would only start out in top gear. I could manually shift it, starting in 1st..then to 2nd, etc but put it in drive and that's where it would start off...3rd gear.

Took it to a shop...(big, national company) they told me I needed a new computer to the tune of almost $900 plus labor to install and they charged me $100 to diagnose using some fancy-dancy diagnostic equipment. yeahsureright...I wasn't born yesterday! Took it to another (smaller) shop. Guy didn't need any fancy diagnostic equipment...he said "I know exactly what's wrong"...explained it to me..gave me a ballpark estimate of around $400 and I let him fix it. Turned out to be internal...the governor solenoid and the transducer..both which affect what gear the tranny starts out in. Works like a charm now! Total cost including tranny fluid, new filter, gasket, etc...$451.00

ooops :eek:... didn't mean to hijack!

Which transmission is it? 700R4, 4LE60, 4LE80?

700R4...I talked with Kreg earlier this morning, but I agree with Silvr T lots of electronics that make it shift now a days. Just FWIW the truck has about 135000 miles on it, so for that truck and that trans, it's time for a rebuild. They are notorious for puking at about 125000 miles.

700R4...I talked with Kreg earlier this morning, but I agree with Silvr T lots of electronics that make it shift now a days. Just FWIW the truck has about 135000 miles on it, so for that truck and that trans, it's time for a rebuild. They are notorious for puking at about 125000 miles.

Mine (1996 Dakota with a V8) has 296000 kms (that's 184,000 miles) ... I have no idea if the tranny has been redone or replaced. The PO had the fluid changed just before I bought it (almost a year ago) by one of those machines that suc the old out and put the new in (no pan dropping or filter changing)...not a good idea! The guy who fixed it for me said it didn't look like the pan had been off for a very long time.

The tranny went out on my last truck (a '94 Dakota) and it cost me 3 grand! It had about 230,000 km's at that time.

I sure hope this one hold out!

Yep, that's where the one went in the Suburban last year. $2300 bucks later OUCH!!! They did the rebuild in shop, and now it 25K later and it's still running strong....