IGNORED

Rear Light Bar Installation

birin

I thought about installing a combined turn signal/brake light bar. Seems that defeats the purpose that the main message is "I am stopping" to the person behind me. I now plan to buy the Signal Dynamics 15" LED light bar with high and low intensity. I recall there being installation instructions somewhere as to how to install this light bar under the rear trunk? Anyone completed this installation and have some tips, instructions or photos for me to use for installation ?

Appreciate the help.

I thought about installing a combined turn signal/brake light bar. Seems that defeats the purpose that the main message is "I am stopping" to the person behind me. I now plan to buy the Signal Dynamics 15" LED light bar with high and low intensity. I recall there being installation instructions somewhere as to how to install this light bar under the rear trunk? Anyone completed this installation and have some tips, instructions or photos for me to use for installation ?

Appreciate the help.

I would also suggest that you fill in the mounting holes with JB Weld. Place tape on the back and fill in thefront so it is level. then when it dries drill the hole out again. The light is a sealed unit so you can't open it and when you fill in the front where the screw goes in and drill it out it will give youmore surface area under the head to spread out the stresses and won't break when you smack it with you hand while doing something else.

Uh........ don't ask me how I know this first hand. LOL

Steve

I followed instructions here...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29248&highlight=brake+light

Except, I used 2 "coupling nuts" (what I call them) appx 1" long.

I used 2 ... #10 x 2" x 24 thread countersunk SS machine screws, ran them through the existing hole in the light, thru the coupling nut and tightened that down with another, small nut. (the coupling nut is a tich larger thread hole so the machine screw slides thru it). I then slid the remaining part of the machine screws thru the holes in the existing brackets, put a flat washer on and then a self-locking nut.

I wired it all into behind the lic plate.

Here is how I mounted mine. It is a Whelen light bar and I fabricated a bracket out of aluminum angle. I replaced the trunk mounting screws with longer ones that would protrude through the bottom to allow me to secure the bracket to it with nuts. Here are few photos.

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Whelen does make one with turn signals as well check it out here and its only around a hundred bucks. I first saw this on the back of a police bike in Ct and had to get one myself my only problem is where to mount it as I have an emergency flashing lightbar where everyone puts them and if I put it below it bloks the license plate pretty badly. But the thing is pretty bright

here is the link http://whelen.com/pb/Automotive/ProductSheets/Lightheads/StripLite_LED_Series.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

this is the new light mounted under my emergency flashing light bar sorry this is the best i could get

[ATTACH]25590[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25591[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25592[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25593[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25594[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25595[/ATTACH]

I have been wanting to put a light on the back of mine, I went on a ride last fall with others and noticed one guy had a light that was like knight rider as it would move from side to side as you rode then the whole thing would light up when he would hit the brakes. I thought it was really cool but havent found one yet, and it does get your attention following them whitch is another big plus. If anyone know were you can get this please let me know I want one Thanks.:bluesbrother:

I have been wanting to put a light on the back of mine, I went on a ride last fall with others and noticed one guy had a light that was like knight rider as it would move from side to side as you rode then the whole thing would light up when he would hit the brakes. I thought it was really cool but havent found one yet, and it does get your attention following them whitch is another big plus. If anyone know were you can get this please let me know I want one Thanks.:bluesbrother:

Was this what you were talking about

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

Nkbjones has his mounted on top of the reflector below the licence plate.

Yep Custom Dynamics. 56-59 dollars...mounted on a really nice chrome license plate frame. Comes wiht Chrome mounting hardware also. REally bright LED that flashes for about 5 seconds when you apply the brake. That was the first thing I installed on my bike.

Look at the license plate frame in the photo. The other lighting is a the result of some of the work I have done recently. Still not finished..one more part on the way.

Check out the LED's under the bags.

CMIK

What units did you mount under the bags? and how did you mount them? They look like you would not notice them in daylight but would stand out at night?

Do they connect to brake, running, turn signals??

BIRIN

Yep Custom Dynamics. 56-59 dollars...mounted on a really nice chrome license plate frame. Comes wiht Chrome mounting hardware also. REally bright LED that flashes for about 5 seconds when you apply the brake. That was the first thing I installed on my bike.

Look at the license plate frame in the photo. The other lighting is a the result of some of the work I have done recently. Still not finished..one more part on the way.

Check out the LED's under the bags.

It was way to wet and cold to ride last week, so I worked on the bike for a week solid.

Those at LED's that came from Custom Dynamics. They are the "

Knight Rider Non-Sequential Dual Intensity 12 LED Light Bar with Flashing Brake Alert LBO3". The license plate frame came with the Knight rider sequential with flashing brake alert. I wanted the same light bar without the sequential lights. The flashing on this license plate frame will blind you from the rear of the bike when they flash.

The flashing is built into the light bars. I was thinking electronics should be the same on the non sequential light bars if they were the exact same light bars... and they should flash together when the brakes are applied...WRONG.

Running lights are fine...when you press the brakes...both the light bars under the bags flash together about twice then they get out of sync. I was afraid folks would think I was turning or something so I disconnected them from my brake lights for now. I may hook them up to my turn signals to see it the power says on them long enough to flash them with the turn signals, cause they go off first then flash. I am having trouble I did not like the brake flashing alert blinking all crazy back and fourth.

If you decide to use them...buy the LB01 non flashing brake and non sequential. These come with the 3m tape already on the back of them, I figure if that tape will hold moolding on the side of a pickup...then it ought to hold these little ole lights on those brackets. I took some 1/2 x 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum angle from Lowes and built a T to mount the lights then built a clamp to clamp it to the 3/4" pipe saddle bag supports. I used stainless bolts and nylon locking nuts. They are positioned about 1/2" from the back edge of the bags and about 1/16 from the bottom of the bags kinda tucked up under the bags some. They are not flush with the bottom of the bags. but not level with pipe that hold the bags. Also a little over 1/2" from the exhaust. So they are back up under the bags some. I painted all the brackets with satin black paint so it would blend in with all the other stuff under there. I have not rode the bike yet with these mounted. I just did this last week and had to take off out of town to work and the weather was cold rainy before I left.

I am not even real sure they will not melt, but I do not think they will due to the clearance and the wind blowing by them. The light bars are real light weight and the brackets are real light and mounted very tight so I do not thing they will bounce or vibrate.

I got some more stuff on order and should be in when I get back...so I can finish up on the project I am working on for the bike.

I was gonna send a full set of photos when I completed this and made sure it was all gonna work like I wanted it to.

Take a look and if you want more photos PM me...I will have to get them when I get back home, next week.

I 'll take my chances...MS law says nothing about such foolishness... You all know it is all about being seen when you are on the road.

Catch me if you can.

Many cops I have talked to agree more visible you are the safer you are.

I used to get stopped regularly back in 1975 about loud pipes on a Honda 350. Got several tickets for that. Now days...most cops will not even look twice at a bike with loud pipes. I know that Honda 350 was not as loud as some the Harleys around town.

We will see what happens.