I tried it with the key in the ACC position and there was nothing. Here is the story on the bike....The previous owner had it stored in a storage container (on its kick stand) during Hurricane Ike. The storm rocked the container and caused the bike to fall over. By the time they found the bike, most of the battery acid had poured accross the controller. Now the display has a bubble in it and does not function. I was mistaken about the compressor coming on with a switch, turns out it was just the manual fan switch. Long story little shorter.......... I believe my controller is bad and was wondering if anybody had one for sale.

Ouch! Sounds like the quick solder fix is out the window.

Get ahold of AtlantaDragonslayer on this site. I think he might have something that you can use. I think. Maybe. I think he was been playing with reconditioning some old ones.

If not, they do show up on eBay pretty regular.

How much other stuff took a hit from the acid. Body panels take a hit?

Mike

As a matter of fact, the entire right side took a hit. All of the plastice and the motor. Still haven't descided how to clean it all up yet though. How difficult would it be to ride without air? This is my first motorcycle, so I figured I would make a Venture Royale

Riding without air is not advisable. It will beat the shock to death and not good for handling control. You could rework the air lines and install a schrader (?) valve, like a in a tire valve and use a hand pump to adjust the pressure to your needs. There are a few folks here that have gone that route I believe. Maybe someone will jump in on that subject.

I'd go with a really really good wash up with baking soda and water to remove the acidity before getting too up close and personal with the repairs.

As a matter of fact, the entire right side took a hit. All of the plastice and the motor. Still haven't descided how to clean it all up yet though. How difficult would it be to ride without air? This is my first motorcycle, so I figured I would make a Venture Royale

I rode mine for years without working C.L.A.S.S. without any problems but it was true that once I got mine working it made a tremendous positive difference especially when towing the trailer. Check your email I sent you some resources for a new controller I've got parts to one but am not sure about the display component I have it has a black spot between the pieces of glass in the display.

• 1 month later...

On the Front, if you Install " Progressive Suspension " Fork springs, and use

15 Wt. Fork Oil, you do not need any Air pressure.

( Its true ! )

( this is a highly reccomended modification if the bike has over 50K on it. the stock springs are worn out ) -- Yes, they are------

On the Rear end, you can install an Air Fitting, and use a Hand Pump, with Gauge to fill pressurerize the shock. This is the same proceedure used on the 2nd Gen models.

If you do this, do not use AIR Hose, at filling station, will blow the seals !!!

( I believe the fittings for an 83 or 84 or 85 can be used to make the modification) Not sure on this point, but sombody here should know the details.

By completly removeing the Class system you save some weight, and gain the space on the Dash Board to mount something else.

Several folks have made these mods to 1st gens. Check with them, sombody will chime in who has done this.

I have been considering it myself. ( Front is done, but not the rear. )

Thank you very much, that sounds like a great idea. It turns out, my class display lights up (was a blown fuse :doh: ) , but that is all it does. The LCD screen was damaged by the battery acid, so I am unable to read anything on the display. My concern now is that, yes I have a power indication, but nothing else. No compressor or noise of any sort...... Am I missing something? Where should I look next?

• 1 month later...

I have finally got the compressor up and running:happy65:. Come to find out, the previous owner had run a toggle switch installed directly to the compressor. My question now is, will the compressor shut off automatically when it hits a certain presssor or do I have guess on when to turn it off.

Note: Unable to read display due to LCD being damaged.