IGNORED

Not Bike Related (Help)

Kregerdoodle

I need some help, I was given a air compressor that had a burnt motor, I put a new 5hp motor on it, but when it would hit 35lbs in the tank, the back pressure would stop the motor,( probably what smoked the original motor) so I pull the head off of the pump, the head gasket is blown,all of the reed valves look good, I changed it out but same thing going on. so next I pull the check valve from the tank, ok, a small peice of junk is stuck in the valve, I clean it up, put all back together, thinking to my self that I now have a great Free compresser.... but nooooooo.... same thing happening:confused24: I have no clue what to check next, there is not much to these things, so I am at a loss... any Ideas??

Thanks!!

PS... Free Air to any one that can help me out and get it working!!

Kreg

You could put larger pulley on the motor. That would slow the compressor.

But wouldn't fix the problem. I think if it was me, I would go ahead and replace the reed valves. If you've already replaced the check valve, then what else could allow a buildup of back pressure? Are you absolutely sure the compressor isn't running backwards?

But wouldn't fix the problem. I think if it was me, I would go ahead and replace the reed valves. If you've already replaced the check valve, then what else could allow a buildup of back pressure? Are you absolutely sure the compressor isn't running backwards?

yes, I checked that, the fins on the pully are blowing air on to the pump, and the wires on the motor are pretty much made so that they can`t be connected wrong.. but I will check that again. I am stumped at this time, so I have nada to lose in trying anything..Thanks

You could put larger pulley on the motor. That would slow the compressor.

That would speed the compressor. You need the larger pulley on the compressor or smaller on the motor.

You mention a 5hp motor. You're not trying to run a 240 motor on 120 volts are you?

air compressor motors are usley,haverer duty motors,have start cap,with interial over loads,sounds like the motor is the wrong motor,need to check the compressor for the right size motor,you can more than likly check ww grainger cat.they give spects for :detective:most all air compressors,also check the amps on the motor,full load is at max operating press,if amps are to high,put smaller pulley on motor till amps are right

lowell

Micarl is right. I am going to stop trying to think that early. I had it backwards. I was just out in my garage working and realized I was wrong.

The check valve is just to help get the motor started so it won't be trying to start against pressure. Once the motor is running it doesn't really matter.

Edited by midnightventure

That would speed the compressor. You need the larger pulley on the compressor or smaller on the motor.

You mention a 5hp motor. You're not trying to run a 240 motor on 120 volts are you?

hhhmmmmm I think this is my problem, the new motor says 208/240 volts I am surprised I didn`t burn it up allready.... let me try the correct voltage and see if that works, Thanks all !!!

:confused07: