IGNORED

Do I have the famous "chirp"? Or?

Hey guys, help me out here. I haven't been around any other Ventures to compare my bike to so I need some help deciding if I have noise issues that can be improved on.

My '07 has a fairly loud (at certain RPM's) but very tolerable gear whine. Or it sounds like a gear whine. I can't say that I have heard a "chirp". Now, what I call a "whine' is an even continuous noise. Where a "Chirp" is a series of spaced noises like a spot on a wheel or clutch basket rubbing on every revolution. I've read a lot of threads on this and it seems some people call chirps whines and whines chirps. LoL And some posts make me think that the 'I' basket fix will help the whine when it fixes the chirp.

So, I have a whine that varies by speed. Will the 'I' basket do me any good? It would be warrantied but I don't want someone else tearing it apart if it isn't the fix for the noise that I have.

Thanks for any replies!

The chirp sounds like a cricket on steroids or the cars the Jetsons use. It will present itself at the same RPM through every gear shift. Mine does it at 25 in first, 35 in second, 45 in third, 55 in fourth and, roughly 70 to 75 in 5th. If I nail 55 in fourth and cruise, with the throttle on, keeping a constant speed it stays loud. If I back off the throttle it goes away. It goes away when the speed gets to 5 mph above the afore mentioned speeds. Some have it louder than others and some have it at different RPMs

Don't know if that helps with the identification of the sound. I believe that the clutch basket change will only solve the chirp problem but I'm not 100% sure of that. People that have had the baskets changed have reported mixed results. Some have it go away completely, some have it reduced, some have it move to a different RPM range and therefore different cruising speeds, some have it go away only to reappear after putting on a few thousand miles. So it doesn't seem like it is a definite fix.

Hey guys, help me out here. I haven't been around any other Ventures to compare my bike to so I need some help deciding if I have noise issues that can be improved on.

My '07 has a fairly loud (at certain RPM's) but very tolerable gear whine. Or it sounds like a gear whine. I can't say that I have heard a "chirp". Now, what I call a "whine' is an even continuous noise. Where a "Chirp" is a series of spaced noises like a spot on a wheel or clutch basket rubbing on every revolution. I've read a lot of threads on this and it seems some people call chirps whines and whines chirps. LoL And some posts make me think that the 'I' basket fix will help the whine when it fixes the chirp.

So, I have a whine that varies by speed. Will the 'I' basket do me any good? It would be warrantied but I don't want someone else tearing it apart if it isn't the fix for the noise that I have.

Thanks for any replies!

Had the 'I' basket put in my bike (07 RSTD). Helped, but still there. My advice would be; if you can stand it, just put the miles on it and ride. There are other choices for the gear change beside the 'I' gear.Check out Rick Butlers posts on this. It (I basket) put more slack in my gear /transmission . Still love my Yammy Ride, through thick and thin it still gets me there. Most comfortable ride out there....

BigBoy,

Have you tried to see if the noise comes and goes if you lean the bike ( left or right ) versus keeping it straight up? The one I ride does this and from what I know from the past. The rear drive splines are dry and kind of whine when you lean slightly around 45-50 mph ( my bike ). I'm not sure if it's your problem but that was/is wrong with mine. IMO someone else may have the cure.

I have a 07 that whine soo bad you could'nt here the radio,almost sold it because dealer said it was the charcter of the bike and I didn't know about this site then,after reading about it on here I found a dealer that changed the clutch..I love it now!!!!:680:

BigBoy,

Have you tried to see if the noise comes and goes if you lean the bike ( left or right ) versus keeping it straight up? The one I ride does this and from what I know from the past. The rear drive splines are dry and kind of whine when you lean slightly around 45-50 mph ( my bike ). I'm not sure if it's your problem but that was/is wrong with mine. IMO someone else may have the cure.

Stroker, your problem is your rear tire. Sounds to me like you have one of those terrible stock Brickstone tires with about 5,000 miles on it? AFAIK, tires are the only thing that will cause a howl when you lean the bike, and the crappy Brickstone does it so bad it starts with even the slightest weave. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

My Venture sounds like a turbo on acceleration and I love the sound. The more I ride it, the better it runs. However, the noise characteristic as explained earlier is a good thing to keep in mind. IMO, it is just the nature of the Yamaha engine.

Stroker, your problem is your rear tire. Sounds to me like you have one of those terrible stock Brickstone tires with about 5,000 miles on it? AFAIK, tires are the only thing that will cause a howl when you lean the bike, and the crappy Brickstone does it so bad it starts with even the slightest weave. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I guess I must have a terrible Avon Venom rear tire. The 1100 V-Star I had would do the same thing. I greased the drive splines in the wheel and the noise went away. I first thought it was the wheel bearings but it wasn't. I have no clue, it may not be the splines on my venture I just related it to the same noise as the V-Star had. http://venturerider.org/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

I guess I must have a terrible Avon Venom rear tire. The 1100 V-Star I had would do the same thing. I greased the drive splines in the wheel and the noise went away. I first thought it was the wheel bearings but it wasn't. I have no clue, it may not be the splines on my venture I just related it to the same noise as the V-Star had. http://venturerider.org/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Well, sure sounds like I was wrong - the Venom has always been the most quiet tire I have had on an RSV. Don't know what else to suggest to you. I haven't heard of the splines or drive fingers causing noise on a lean, but I don't have any other answers either. :think: :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well, sure sounds like I was wrong - the Venom has always been the most quiet tire I have had on an RSV. Don't know what else to suggest to you. I haven't heard of the splines or drive fingers causing noise on a lean, but I don't have any other answers either. :think: :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I appreciate the info, when time and weather permit I'm going to pull the rear tire and check. It's not actually at lean more of just off center /straight up kind of thing. I wasn't trying to hi-jack this thread with my small issue. I've put over 5,000 miles on it since getting it in July and just got back from a 1,000 trip. Thanks :thumbsup2: