IGNORED

Keeping Track of MPG

I agree with Ventureblue, fill er up and enjoy the ride!!! When it's low on fuel, fill er up again!!

Now that fuel prices is on its way down...slowly but surely, it makes it a lot more fun. This morning in the news...I think it is somewhere is Missouri...there is a gas station there selling regular for $1.99/gallon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that fuel prices is on its way down...slowly but surely, it makes it a lot more fun. This morning in the news...I think it is somewhere is Missouri...there is a gas station there selling regular for $1.99/gallon.

Meh, that's almost what we're paying per LITRE.. and you guys whine of your gas prices.. "Sheeesh!"

Mileage is hard for me to check since my bike is a yank bike.. I measure the distance in MILES but put fuel in it by the litre which makes for calculations a lot more fun.

However, on average I can say that I get 10 miles per litre of fuel (roughly 40 miles per gallon), but it's the litres per 10 miles I use to gauge my fuel consumption.. So if I put 16 litres of fuel when showing 160 miles on the clock, I'm feeling I'm doing OK.

However, after being away for a month and back again to ride in the fall weather, cold weather that is, I'm finding my mileage dropped a lot.. ouch.. 16 litres to do 148 miles.. on average roughly 15 to 20 miles less in distance for the same amount of fuel.. I've recently done air filters an oil change but that didn't change things much..

Running with K&N air filters and Screaming Eagle pipes (love the sound in the cold), burning Premium fuel as yes, I do notice a big enough difference in fuel consumption.. ;)

Does the cold actually affect the fuel consumption THAT much?

For 2 up and with a trailer and get 45 mpg, that is Awesome! :happy34:

quote]

Sorry The spreadsheet I attached was my mileage pulling a trailer, riding two up Avg was only 32 mpg. The 45 US MPG is without the trailer and riding on back roads less than 60 mph.

Mileage is hard for me to check since my bike is a yank bike.. I measure the distance in MILES but put fuel in it by the litre which makes for calculations a lot more fun.

So if I put 16 litres of fuel when showing 160 miles on the clock, I'm feeling I'm doing OK.

Mine is US bike and I fill with liters as well. Your mileage is similar to mine, with everyday riding. It equals 45 mpg Cdn and 37.5 US Mpg.

Cooler weather will affect your gas mileage.

Brad

For 2 up and with a trailer and get 45 mpg, that is Awesome! :happy34:

quote]

Mine is US bike and I fill with liters as well. Your mileage is similar to mine, with everyday riding. It equals 45 mpg Cdn and 37.5 US Mpg.

Cooler weather will affect your gas mileage.

Brad

Thanks Brad, do you find a diff between Premium and Regular gas? I tried testing it on several occassions and will always do worse on regular gas with my bike.. and always do worse on Irving's gas than I will say Esso or Ultramar.. Someone said its something to do with Irving's slightly higher sulphur content of their fuels but I dunno..

Cheers M8, might be out your way next summer while on our way to the North Wall in Windsor..

Thanks Brad, do you find a diff between Premium and Regular gas? I tried testing it on several occassions and will always do worse on regular gas with my bike.. and always do worse on Irving's gas than I will say Esso or Ultramar.. Someone said its something to do with Irving's slightly higher sulphur content of their fuels but I dunno..

Cheers M8, might be out your way next summer while on our way to the North Wall in Windsor..

Irving does not come this far West, so can not comment. I never run premium as I never found it to do anything. My opinion it is to be used with higher compression ratios, or if you have pinging.

If your up this way give us a shout (phone is in my profile). Where you from in Nova Scotia, spent many days down that way working. I used to go to Truro, Bedford, Dartmouth often but slowed down lately. Still go to Mirimichi NB a few times a year.

BRad

I run premium gas in mine also, the main reason I guess is habit both of my cars and truck are premium only. I just got back from 1,057 mile trip and used 25 gallons of gas ( give or take a little ) so around 42 mpg. I didn't think it was to bad riding two up and my idea of a suggested speed. http://venturerider.org/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Very nice mpg, Stroker_Ace! For 2 up on a Venture I think is good. 1,057 mile trip sounds like a fun ride. Did you do that is just one day?

I've tried Regular on my Venture one time and perhaps it is just me...wanting some peace of mind. So I just fill up with Premium fuel ever since...$2.69/gallon/Premium currently in our local area:thumbsup2:.

That was the first big trip for me and the bike. It was a two day trip, we rode straight there ( with stops of course ) Live Oak, FL. Then on the way back took a few detures, seen quite a few things that I would like to have looked at. We were really pressed for time though so didn't get to look at anything.

Premium is $2.44 gallon here TN I paid $2.74 somewhere on the way back.

I was really impressed with the bike at the speeds we run at it was very stable. We followed a couple of tour buses on the way down. They had their own idea of suggested speed so I stuck it in the draft and let it eat. :superman:

My previous smaller Vulcan averaged about 46 mpg and I was very happy. I also keep track of my mpg on my '08 Prius and my old '95 Taurus SHO that averages 22 mpg - highway. As long as I stay above 40 mpg on the Venture, I am satisfied.

I've included an image of how my Venture is doing under my sig. It has been drizzly/rainy here in SE PA and MD area, but weather looks good for tomorrow. Can't wait to fire up the Venture and find out how gas mileage will be on my next tank full.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this cold weather has not yet hurt my mpg. My last tank averaged 40.8 mpg, with mostly highway :Venture:.

As for filling up with gas, how do you position your Venture? Do you fill up with gas with the handle bar all the way to the left or handle bar in the middle position or handle all the way to the right? I want to put the maximum amount of gas per fill up.

• 1 month later...

From my last fill-up, I got 41.4 mpg which is not bad this winter. My cager's mpg had already taken a hit in this cold weather. Below is my overall stats and at least my average is still around 40 mpg...;)

40.4 mpg (US)

2007 Venture - Touring

Yamaha Venture

http://greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/graphs/car.png?cid=7575&system=US

This member began contributing at 313 mi / 36.0 mpg (US) and has driven 1,711 mi over 11 tanks since then for a total of 2,024 mi.

Tank Log (11)

By Date (recent) | By Mileage (best)mpg (US)migal (US) of Fuel °FMinutes Per Ride 41.41333.23030[edit] [more] 37.81443.83030[edit] [more] 39.71644.13030[edit] [more] 38.81503.93030[edit] [more] 40.21563.94030[edit] [more] 39.51624.14030[edit] [more] 40.01624.05030[edit] [more] 41.61413.45030[edit] [more] 54.21623.05030[edit] [more] 39.81844.66030[edit] [more] 45.01543.46030[edit] [more] http://greenhybrid.com/images/spacer.gifmpg (US)migal (US) of Fuel °FMinutes Per Ride

These threads start periodically, and they always generate interesting discussions. But sometimes I weary of typing the same things over again (especially since I tend to go on and on too much!). So I'll just include links to several other threads were we have covered a LOT of detail on this:[url=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23618&highlight=calculation][/url]

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23618

and

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24905

For anyone who wants to go though the details including info on the effects of float levels, enjoy!

Goose

These threads start periodically, and they always generate interesting discussions. But sometimes I weary of typing the same things over again (especially since I tend to go on and on too much!). So I'll just include links to several other threads were we have covered a LOT of detail on this:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23618

and

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24905

For anyone who wants to go though the details including info on the effects of float levels, enjoy!

Goose

hey Goose, how do you fill up you Venture...handle bar all the way to the left or handle bar on the middle or handle bar all the way to the right? Or does it really matter?

Rode from Semmes,Al to Butler,AL for a dinner ride today. About 275 miles and averaged 45MPG. First tank after putting on HD mufflers. The sound is just right,almost snough to drown outn the gear whine. It was 34 when we left.

tew47

I've been keeping track of my mileage for the last 3000 miles or so using an application on my Iphone. With a speedohealer corrected odometer I've averaged 34.4 mpg over the last 3000 miles. Attached is a listing of all of my fill-ups. Some of them really suck.

Dennis

hey Goose, how do you fill up you Venture...handle bar all the way to the left or handle bar on the middle or handle bar all the way to the right? Or does it really matter?

It doesn't make a bit of difference, but if you are trying to measure MPG you need to try to fill it the same way each time. But even that doesn't get very accurate, since you also have to account for the slope of the ground. Frankly, even if everything is identical I think it is impossible to be exactly the same on every fill. The only way to actually have a gauge to measure how full you get it is to ensure the bike is siting exactly level, the bars turned the same way, and fill just until the gas barely touches the left side of the filler neck. As others have said above (and I discussed in those other threads), just a small variation in the amount of gas you put in will have a significant affect on the calculation. So I think the only way you can actually know what the average MPG you get on a bike is to measure it over many tanks, trying to fill it the same each time, and then use the average.

Goose