IGNORED

Changed the valve cover gaskets today...

what a miserable job. As if getting the covers out is not bad enough, trying to but them back in and aim for the gaskets can make a grown man cry. Combine that with some tremendous back pain when bending over and it takes you most of the day.

Good news is that the engine is perfectly clean inside after 70k miles of Yamalube 20W40 and all valve gaps are well within specifications.

Well, I ran myself out of steam, going to bed early. Can't wait to get up to Ft Collins.

Klaus

Guest Swifty

been there, done that....but my mechanic BradT (who really loves working on 1st gens) made it all seem like a walk in the park.

:whistling:

Aren't they fun!!!

That is one of the worst jobs to do on a 1st gen...I have done 3 of them to date :doh:

been there, done that....but my mechanic BradT (who really loves working on 1st gens) made it all seem like a walk in the park.

:whistling:

Yeah Right I love working on First gens.

Squid that exhaust system on the rear cylinders is a real pain as well as the salve cylinder have to rank right up there.

Congrats on not getting the gasket bent under the cover, and not knowing untill after it is tightened down

Brad

Guest Calcruiser

Were the gaskets really worn out or leaking?

Need some help everyone - this is my first forum posting and I don't know how to start a new thread! DOH!

Please advise - THANKS

Calcruiser

Were the gaskets really worn out or leaking?

Need some help everyone - this is my first forum posting and I don't know how to start a new thread! DOH!

Please advise - THANKS

Calcruiser

Bill,

When you go into a specific area you'll see a tab up at the top of the page that says new thread. Click it and it will bring up a screen where you can start a new thread and ask whatever questions you have. There are many different areas that you can post questions. I see you have a 1st gen so some of your technical questions will be strated in the 1st gen section. it will take a bit of getting used to but once you get it, it will be like second nature :happy34:

BTW Welcome to the club!

The gaskets on my 87 were just old and cracked, thus leaking oil. I replaced them and adjusted valves about a month ago. 3 intake valves were tight by .001" or so. I wouldn't say it was an easy job...but I won't have to do it for a long time!

You know what really helped me getting the covers and gaskets in and out of there? Two people. Dad was over when I removed them, then for reinstall my 11-yr-old daughter helped. In fact, her small hands came in "handy" - pun intended. With a person on each side it's much easier to keep tabs on the gasket's location, see what is obstructing the cover, etc.

Jeremy

Been a long time since I did that on my '85 but I do recall a few "choice" words passing over my lips. Seems I recall that the front comes out on the right side and the rear on the left? I'd taken it to a shop originally but they did a sloppy job and things were leaking. got tired of argueing with the guy and decided to re-do it myself. I discovered that they only replaced the front gasket and re-used the old one on the rear because (as I later found out) they couldn't get a new rear one that day. IMO, they should have gotten the parts before they took things apart.

Lesson learned.... if ya can do it yourself (or have someone you know who can do it) then stay away from the rip-off shops!