IGNORED

first gen fairing removal.

a word of caution ,to anyone taking the fairing apart on an old bike.

mine had two broken tabs, on the right side, so i decided to repair them today.

in the screw removal process, i managed to break two more tabs. it seems that the screws have never been removed before.

when i turned the screws, the tab turned with it and broke/shattered.

i suggest ,if you are gonna split your fairing, spray all the screws with a good penetrating oil and let them sit overnight.

now i have a bunch of tabs to build!

just jt

aw, come on , squid!

knock yourself out!

how many 20 year old bikes have you seen, that never had ANYTHING done to them, except oil changes, and gas fillup.

this old "tinker toy", is what makes me want to get up every morning!

i am having a blast with this thing, and i haven't even put 200 miles on it in a year!

lol

probably never will "ride it",the way everyone here loves to do.

just jt

Another trick to break loose screws besides spraying with penetrating oil is to smack the screwdriver on the end with a hammer (While inserted into the screw) to break the rust loose...

Of course hit it way too hard and you also break plastic. :doh:

Another trick to break loose screws besides spraying with penetrating oil is to smack the screwdriver on the end with a hammer (While inserted into the screw) to break the rust loose...

Of course hit it way too hard and you also break plastic. :doh:

That one works.

dan , and bob.

i am aware of the "screwdriver tapping" procedure. yes, it works on many applications.

on 20 year old plastic, it does the same thing as just turning the screw. it shatters the tab, which is "sandwitched" between the two sides of the metal "nut holder clip" i guess you'd call it.

at any rate, i sprayed the left side screws with penetrating oil, and in the morning, i will decide if it did any good.

just jt

I'd suggest that some of those tabs are already "shattered" somewhat after 20 yrs of vibration. I've also found that if anyone has removed any of the screws in the past, that they sometimes over tighten them when re-installing, thereby "squishing" the plastic which of course causes it to shatter and fall apart the next time you remove the screw.

These are my two pennies:

As everyone says, all seems to fall apart.

False, after tons of patiente (Usually I don't have it), and comprehension on the problem I found that:

First is fix the broken parts (OUT OF DISCUSSION)

Second is put a teflon washer between fairing & metal holders (bike estructure) to minimize the pressure that bolts generate against the plastic. Also replace the metal washer with another teflon washer (outside blacks are less noticeable) improves support and avoid craks.

At least it worked for me during the last two years.

Keep this on your memory till 2019 Brad. You will need it.

Regards,

:080402gudl_prv: