IGNORED

Wheel nut two tight

kwisor

Hello all last nignt i went to pull my frt rear wheels but was unble to get the bolts loose on the axels i will have to get a impact wreanch to brake them loose i just had new tires put on and thay must hve used one to put them on with is the somethin i should worry about being over tighten or not worry at i know i do not want them comming loose but i did not know if over tight would hurt any thing thank you for your thoughs on this

kevin wisor

199 rsv

jax fl

One of the best investments that I have ever made since I started wrenching on cars, at a very young age, and tractors and bikes is a good torque wrench. Even an inexpensive one is a good asset. It takes all of the sweat out of worrying about wether it is too tight or too loose. Also it makes ya look like you know what you are doing... LOL

Oh yeah. Don't forget the service manual. It is as important as a torque wrench... There is one in the Forums if you don't have a paper copy.

Good luck

Get a good torque wrench. Believe me these machines need to be torqued right. Especially the wheels.

Yup, got three of them.

I wonder though if someone cranked the bolt way too tight if it would reduce the wheels ability to spin freely?

You must loosen the FRONT pinch bolt before trying to remove the axle, as the whole axle is threaded into the left fork (no nut).

In contrast, you should NOT loosen the REAR pinch bolt before you take the nut off (so the axle will not turn while you remove the nut).

Since the rear axle nut requires such high torque (over 100 lbs), you do need a long wrench, cheater bar, or other option to pop it loose. I usually just sit on the ground and use my left leg to move the breaker bar. Of course, make certain the bike still has both wheels in contact with the ground before you try to do either axle; since so much effort is needed you don't want to rock the bike on a stand!

When putting the rear axle back in, be certain to tighten the axle nut as much as possible (until you either hit the proper torque or the axle starts to spin) BEFORE tightening the pinch bolt. If you tighten the rear pinch bolt too soon, you will bind up the swing arm, axle and brake alignment. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose