IGNORED

Front forks and Anti-Dive Unit

thirdbike

Looking for some expertise. The bike is an 84 with about 55,000 miles on it. I seem to bottom out when hitting a bump especially with two up even when the air pressure in the front fork is set to 16 psi. Some suggest going to progressive springs. Any comments would be helpful. How much are these units worth?

There are a couple of threads on front fork springs but none on the anti-dive mechanism. The manual says they cant be overhauled. Has anybody had a go at these units?

All advise would be appreciated. Thank you

There is an adjustment on the antidive units, although I doubt that it will solve your problem. Seeing as it's an 84 I would suggest to go to progressives as your springs are probably worn out. Cost should be around $80.00 with the seals if you do the work yourself and you'll be very happy you changed. It's not hard to do and should only take one evening or maybe two.

did the progressives on my 86, it used to bottom out, now it rides like a cadillac. also did seals, bushings and damper washers while i had it apart. you need a special tool to take the lower fork bolt out(check out "reelay" article on how to make your own). read the articles that the guys have put in the tech section on front fork rebuild. it was one of the easier jobs that i have done on my bike. cheers, Scott

Been there, done that. Had the same symptoms last year and put progressives in over the winter. No more bottoming out and the antidive even works. I used the full 1" spacer but plan on reducing it to 1/2" next time I do some maintenance. I also plan to change the fork oil from 15wt back to 10. I find the front a little stiff, especially on sharp bumps like potholes.:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv: