IGNORED

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Can't hurt but I never did. I always assumed most the crap would come out if you drain it just after you ran it for a bit.

By the way I like that Fuzzy photo in your albums, neat.

You will have to get out to one of the meets we will have as your pretty close by.

Brad

Just get a magnet and rub the existing drain plug, in one direction, across the magnet some 100 times or so. It should magnetize the existing one just fine.

Learned that on Beakman's world.

Or bring it where I work. The magnets around here should magnetize that sucker up right. It sure worked with my knife!! :happy34:

I installed a magnetic plug this spring and after 7500kms when I changed the oil there was a bit of crap on it....nothing that I would get alarmed about. There is a magnetic plug on the rear diff .

Keith

This is where I bought mine http://www.magneticdrainplug.com

.....crush washers are alot cheaper than the dealer.....my dealer didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for new crush washers......said they never replace them.....scarey!

Edited by KeithR
Added Link

I installed a magnetic plug this spring and after 7500kms when I changed the oil there was a bit of crap on it....nothing that I would get alarmed about. There is a magnetic plug on the rear diff .

Keith

This is where I bought mine http://www.magneticdrainplug.com

.....crush washers are alot cheaper than the dealer.....my dealer didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for new crush washers......said they never replace them.....scarey!

This place is a tree of knowledge. Thanks for the link. I will order a plug and some extra washers Before my next oil change.

Thanks guys for the input, figure it can’t hurt. No worries Brad,:thumbsup2: we'll hook up soon, just seemed the wife and I always headed north for a rip this summer. Did the magnet wave thing on my old bike, worked for a while but after that felt like I had to do it every time I did the oil change, plus I started to get frustrated when the magnet kept sticking to the steel plate in my head!:big-grin-emoticon:

Ride safe guys

When you get the new plug, drill a hole crossways through the head for a lock wire. I wired mine last change. Makes me feel better and you don't feel like you have to give it that last little tweek of torque and risk stripping the case.

I purchased my crush washers at my local auto parts store in a box of 25 for under $4.

They fit the oil drain and rear end drain and fill (three places) on my RSV and they also fit the oil drain on both of my Honda cages, and the oil drain on my Honda powered pressure washer.

They had to special order them, and it took a while, but that is inexpensive per washer.

Does anybody know what Dorman products magnetic oil plug fits on the 2nd Gen RSV? They are available at my local auto parts stores.

Just get a magnet and rub the existing drain plug, in one direction, across the magnet some 100 times or so. It should magnetize the existing one just fine.

Learned that on Beakman's world.

Or bring it where I work. The magnets around here should magnetize that sucker up right. It sure worked with my knife!! :happy34:

Tapping steel will also align the particles and make things magnet, does not work as well as the magnet though.

Bet you leave your wallet in the car when at work as well. Those large magnets will erase all the info on that black stripe of your credit cards real quick.

Brad

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you know if you decide to go with the magnetic oil drain plug the one in the diff is the same size. I just changed my oils and the stock magnetic plug in the diff is no more magnetic then.......... I guess i will order another one for the diff !

Keith

I found these great little magnets at Princess Auto. They’re about ½” round, 3/8” thick and flat on two sides. They are remarkably strong and inexpensive with a polished finish. I stick one on the outside end of the oil drain plug for the diff and engine. I also put a couple on the outside of the oil filter itself (don't forget to take them off before you throw the filter out!). No one would know they’re there and like it has already been said... “it doesn’t hurt”