IGNORED

Different size tires

My 84 Venture Std. has this rear tire: 140/90-16 Michelin Hi-Tour A66, that came with the bike when I bought it last summer. It is a 71H. The wife and I are at maximum load without any "Stuff" in the bags. This tire is actually 148mm wide inflated. There is still more than 5 mm or .2" between the tire and the drive shaft housing.

Any one tried a 150/90-16 rear?

1. It would have a higher load rating.

2. It theorically would be .4" wider (but mine is already 8mm or .3" wider), the speedometer would be 1.5 slower (more accurate) due to larger diameter .7" and circumference 2.2". (Plenty of room)

On the front I could not use a larger tire. The fender is very close to the tire. But 65H is not overloaded.

But the engine speed would be about 1.5% slower. Not much.

71H=761Lbs. capacity. the 750# bike divided by 2 = 375# plus passengers of 380# =755. I'm thinking more than 1/2 of the bike is on the rear tire so we are are probably over loaded. Without carrying anything. Maybe this is why there are tire problems on some types. Metzlers coming apart, Bridgestones ?, Dunlops 404's with low miles of wear

Has anyone had issues with being right at the load capacity?

Actually how wide are 150's?

Has anyone had issues with being right at the load capacity?

Actually how wide are 150's?

I run pretty close to 'theoretical' load capicity on my '83, and I'm probably always over the limit. The rear tire is the original Elite II that came with the bike when I bought it. I've never had a lick of a problem in 7-8,000 miles with the bulk of those miles being put on loaded down with travel gear. I think if you're really concerned about weight on the rear tire you might think about pulling a trailer where the tongue weight would only add around 50-70#.

You just need to look for a tyre with a higher load rating. Avon or Conti will do you one with a 77 Load Index which is good for 908 lb.

You can download the Conti technical manual from http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/motorcycle/themes/download/technical_manual_uv.pdf but I've obviously no idea what availability will be like in your area. (Actually in the UK the Conti Tour is hard to get hold of at present - but that may not be the case for you.)

I pull a lot of weight when we're on holiday - total weight about a tonne, so I get through back tyres fairly quickly - about 4,000 miles. No actual problems, though.