IGNORED

Help with a paint problem

Oldseadog

This weekend I tried to repaint the gas flap because it was badly faded. I prepped the flap with a scuff pad and wiped it down with a tack cloth. As soon as I started spraying, the paint blistered as if I had put paint remover on it. I let the paint dry and sanded it smooth, then tried it again. It did it again. I'm stumped. The paint I was using is Dupli color. I was hoping if this small paint job worked out I would do one panel at a time, until I had the whole bike painted. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Do you think it is just a reaction between the old and the new paint? I wish I could provide pictures, but the camera is broken.

Bill :puzzled:

If the paint you put on is hotter than the paint there (eg: lacqer over enamal ) this is exactly what happens

Sand the lid down to bare plastic , spray with adhesion promoter and prime when tacky within 10 minutes.

Make sure your primer and top coats are compatible , if not sure buy from an automotive paint supllier that knows there product.

I agree with sadlebum, I do body and paint work for a living and you have to get it down to bare plastic, now when you take it to bare plastic make sure you finish with a fine grit as alot of time the plastic will swell sand scratches when painted or primed. You should be able to go to the paint store or better yet one that well automotive paint and they can get you everything you need. Good luck. Kevin

Yes there is a sealer its called a waterborne sealer but byt the time you buy all this stuff you are better off to do it rite and strip it then you wont have to worry about it again. Another thought I dont know anything about dupli color but I do know that some paints if not catilised will lift if gas and things get on them. Maybe someone here can help with that question for you that has used it. Good luck

Took the gas flap to a paint and body shop. They said the same, it is incompatible paints. Kevin, do you know if the OEM paint is enamel or Lacquer? Duplicolor is a lacquer paint. I was hoping to just do a quick touch up with a spray can as I don't have a compressor and painting equipment. The body shop said I should have the piece and the can of paint warmed up with a hair dryer or something and this might help in stopping the problem as the lacquer will evaporate quicker. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

If that is not the problem. One other thing, if you have been using a silicone base around there that will cause the paint to do funny things. Armorall is a good example of something that will make paint not want to stick. It acts similar to what they call fish eye. Hope it helps.

Spotsy

You dont need a air compressor if you have or can borrow an elec sander that will work also. Just becarful and dont get a very corse sand paper its better to take a little longer and have a nicer product when you are finished. When it comes to some of the stuff on the bikes I am not sure what is on it, it sounds like enamal but it could be a waterborne also. I dont think you have any choice but to strip it and go from there and at least that way you will know what you have all the way through and wont have to worry as much. On the silicon what the other guy is saying is true make sure you dont have that in the area it will cause fish eyes, if your part is not clean and degreased it will cause fish eyes but they wont make the paint lift or wrinkle. Just take your time and follow the directions on what you are using and you should be fine. If you have a problem let it dry over night and wet sand it down with 600 and finish with 1000 and repaint and clear. Good luck and I will keep an eye on this if you have questions. Kevin:thumbsup: