IGNORED

Hearing click...but not starting. Help!

When I turn on the key, the gas pump cycles and the speedo does its thing...and the headlight comes on (but I notice NOT the running lights).

When I push the starter button, theres a click sound from down, left below/behind the battery. (Is there a solenoid down there?)

The battery is showing about 12.8 volts. Bike has been sitting for four or five days. Any ideas? (Wiring to passing lamps was recently 'fixed'.....and the bike ran fine last weekend....all day Saturday. Has sat out (covered) in rain since then.)

Thoughts? Really want to solve this one, with the last big weekend (with perfect forecast) coming up this Thanksgiving weekend.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. (Going to put the battery on the charger now as a start.)

Michael

When I turn on the key, the gas pump cycles and the speedo does its thing...and the headlight comes on (but I notice NOT the running lights).

When I push the starter button, theres a click sound from down, left below/behind the battery. (Is there a solenoid down there?)

The battery is showing about 12.8 volts. Bike has been sitting for four or five days. Any ideas? (Wiring to passing lamps was recently 'fixed'.....and the bike ran fine last weekend....all day Saturday. Has sat out (covered) in rain since then.)

Thoughts? Really want to solve this one, with the last big weekend (with perfect forecast) coming up this Thanksgiving weekend.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. (Going to put the battery on the charger now as a start.)

Michael

With those symptoms my bet wold be a dirty/corroded/loose connection from the starter to the solenoid, or possibly a loose/dirty connection at the battery. That is the sound I usually hear with either a dead battery or a corroded connection in the starter circuit.

Thanks for your input, Stoutman.

You had to have been at least half right.....maybe dead on.

After charging for two hours, I disconnected the charger......went to reconnect the ground terminal.....and got a spark at the terminal.......suggesting there was current flowing...even though the key was off.

After the initial spark though, I couldn't get it to repeat.....almost as though the sudden jolt had "cleared" something.....or "dried it out" or something!

But, it started. I'll take it for a ride and park it INSIDE for the next two nights and see what happens.

Thanks again, buddy.

mike

With those symptoms my bet wold be a dirty/corroded/loose connection from the starter to the solenoid, or possibly a loose/dirty connection at the battery. That is the sound I usually hear with either a dead battery or a corroded connection in the starter circuit.

Ok when you connect the battery you should always get a spark. The ODO and radio need battery power to hold presets and mileage. The reason it didn't spark the second time was because the capacitors were charged. They hold the voltage for a few seconds.

Now on to your problem. I would have to say your battery is shot. 12.8VDC is actually low for a battery without a load on it. I had roughly the same problem although I didn't get any lights or clicking sound, but the battery had 12.8VDC on it, but as soon as I tried to start it the battery voltage went to 0VDC.

I would suggest replacing it before it leaves you stranded.

Thanks for your input, Wayne and Steve.

My kill button WAS turned on........(I was VERY [proud of myself for having enough anti-alzheimers to actually check that!!) and when you say the "battery may be shot"....you make me worry.....cause I just replaced it about two months ago.

I'm gonna mark this one up to being parked in the rain.......OR, I'm gonna dig inside the fairing again when I get home from tomorrow's ride and see if those passing lamps DO have some kind of short or leak or something happening....cause they're not working again, and I just "fixed" their wiring last month. (Probably screwed it up in a way different from the way it was screwed up before!!)

Oh well. Gotta have SOMETHING to do when the bikes in the garage, right?

Have great rides this weekend guys.

Play safe.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Make sure your emerngcey kill switch is turned ON ...:whistling: Not speaking from experience of course. :no-no-no: :confused24: :bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

Ok when you connect the battery you should always get a spark. The ODO and radio need battery power to hold presets and mileage. The reason it didn't spark the second time was because the capacitors were charged. They hold the voltage for a few seconds.

Now on to your problem. I would have to say your battery is shot. 12.8VDC is actually low for a battery without a load on it. I had roughly the same problem although I didn't get any lights or clicking sound, but the battery had 12.8VDC on it, but as soon as I tried to start it the battery voltage went to 0VDC.

I would suggest replacing it before it leaves you stranded.

Wow, You already know what the weather is going to be like in your area on thanksgiving weekend!!! You must have great weathermen/women in your area. I am in South East TExas and even if we don't have winter any more I still can't get a forcast that far out so that I can ride on perfect weekends. LOL

Hope you find your issue before it leaves you stranded.