IGNORED

Radio stuck on same channel

I was hoping to get a confirmation here before I go buy something I don't need.

When I bought my used '89 VR the radio station was stuck on 101.8. None of the controls (on top , rider thumb, or passenger) would control the station. I got a radio and plastic parts off ebay, then replaced all the parts and found the radio still stuck on the same station??????:confused24:

SO.... after some looking around I have come to suspect that the Radio tuner and CB tuner are actually in the Amp and the panels on the faring are just input controllers like a keyboard.

Anyone out there have any ideas on this?

The COM system and CB work fine and the tape player (mostly) works, it takes a few times to get the tape to start and then to auto flip to the other side but it works. I am hoping that a replacement AMP will fix things up.

I have come to suspect that the Radio tuner and CB tuner are actually in the Amp and the panels on the faring are just input controllers like a keyboard.

Anyone out there have any ideas on this?

I would suspect that is probably the case as well.

You are correct, the dash units are nothing more than switches and displays. The electronics for the radio are bolted on to the amp. Most likely one of the "preset" switches is stuck "on" and convincing the tuner that you want that particular station. An ohmeter across the contacts, with the unit disconnected from the electronics, should prove this.

The last tuner control unit I had required 5 switches to get working, but they were all the exact opposite, permanently open...

You know I was thinking that the buttons would be the issue also, but I have checked all but the driver thumb controller. I started by completely replacing the faring display unit with another one (that should not have the same button stuck) and then by disconnecting the rear passenger unit and trying to get the channel to change, either way no response. I am thinking that the rear passenger and driver only have a search button for the radio and no presets so worst case the channel would keep changing if the other controllers had a stuck button. I will check the spikes in the dash connector with an ohm meter and see if there is any chance the contacts show a reading, I am doubt full on this as the entire tunning input unit was replaced, but hey, I have seen weirder.

Or, a pair of wires shorted together making the tuner think the preset button is on. The memory for the presets is in the tuner unit, not the control unit. That would explain why both units gave the same symptom.

I guess I misunderstood your first post a little...