friesman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my .02 cents.

Meet in Creston on a Friday. There is a place there called The Kokanee Inn:

http://www.crestonbc.com/kokaneeinn/

They fly in special for Fridays only fresh cod and cook them up into the absolutely the best fish & chips I have ever eaten.

Stay in Creston Friday night. I'd recommend The Hacienda or The Skimmerhorn. There are lots of motels in Creston to choose from. I don't know about camping.

Saturday leave Creston on 3a for Kootenay Bay. The Glass House is en route. It is made up of old embalming jars. There is a $7.00 entry fee but it is worth it.

At Kootenay Bay catch the free ferry to Balfour. Head north from Balfour to Kaslo. Kaslo has one of the best paddle boat museums I have ever seen. The SS Moyie:

http://www.klhs.bc.ca/

Incredible the detail they went to with this restoration.

From Kaslo take 31a to New Denver. This road is in my top three ever of my best riding roads. By the way once out of Creston they are all great riding roads.

Stay Saturday and Sunday at The Valhalla. On Sunday take what we call the Threading The Needle ride to Lumby. That would be New Denver to Nakusp to Fauquier, catch the free ferry to Needles and then ride to Lumby. Once again another top three ever riding roads. There is a really cool pup there to grab a bite to eat before riding back. Yes you will want to ride that road twice.

Monday start the trek home via 6 and 3a to Nelson. I can't say this enough, once again spectacular scenery and outstanding riding roads. I don't recommend staying in Nelson. There are few motels in Nelson and last time I was there they were all booked.

After Nelson it is Salmo, over the Kootenay Pass and back to Creston for those heading east to get home or 6/31 if you are headed into the US.

I know these areas fairly well and most of the biker friendly places to eat and sleep. Better yet aside from the occasional logging truck these roads are not heavily trafficed, other than motorcycles.

So there's my .02 cents (Canadian) If this appeals to the group I can flesh out the details for places to eat and points of interest along the way.

See ya on the road.

I gotta say I like DLBCAL's ideas, hows everyone else with that? Its always easier getting sumthing like this together with someone who knows the area.

Also I was wondering about Fridayjuly31-aug2 2009 for a possible dates as it is a long weekend for most of us in Western Canada and Monday,Aug3 would be travel home day.

Also we are looking for what to name this rally my name was a kinda boring Venture West Canada, surely we can come up with something better than that.:cool10::cool10:

Let us know what youre thinking...

Brian

If camping is the way you want to go, I recommend Toad Rock. Five to ten minutes down the highway from Ainsworth Hotsprings, Pefect location for doing a couple of different loops, owned and operated by a woman biker. They have a great pavillion for get togethers and they have flush toilets, free showers and laundry facilities.

You might also want to re-think the dates... With the International Rally starting on the 3rd of Aug, I would have to skip one or the other...

New Denver Loop

http://www3.telus.net/drbar/pics/T_Rock_loop2.jpg

Creston Loop

http://www3.telus.net/drbar/pics/T_Rock_loop1.jpg

Edited by dr_bar

You might also want to re-think the dates... With the International Rally starting on the 3rd of Aug, I would have to skip one or the other...

Intl Rally slipped my mind , do we want to look at the weekend after wednesdayJuly 1? it will be busier, but for those of us coming from east we will need an extra day. We could do the rally thurs july2, Fri JUly3 andSat July4 and head home on Sun july5th. Or do we just look at a regular weekend.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

You can count me in ... but it depends on the dates. There is a Venturers Ride In in Spearfish on July 6-10 we are planning on attending. So the long weekend in July is out for me. I would also like to try to make the VWV. So, I guess I would like to see this ride on the Labour Day weekend.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I gotta say I like DLBCAL's ideas, hows everyone else with that? Its always easier getting sumthing like this together with someone who knows the area.

Also I was wondering about Fridayjuly31-aug2 2009 for a possible dates as it is a long weekend for most of us in Western Canada and Monday,Aug3 would be travel home day.

Also we are looking for what to name this rally my name was a kinda boring Venture West Canada, surely we can come up with something better than that.:cool10::cool10:

Let us know what youre thinking...

I also like DLBCAL's suggestion. That area is spectacular scenery with some great roads and several ways of getting there regardless of where you live. We could borrow from the name already in place around that area, "Koocanusa West" or "Koocanusa Quest" for Kootenay, Canada and USA. Just a thought. As for dates, Labor Day may be a bit late for some folks who have to travel over the Rockies. Salmo/Creston could be white!....Doug

Its seems more and more that if we need a long weekend we are out of luck as we run into the intl rally in Aug and it could be too late by labour day.( plus a lot of members from man and sask go to PIP on labour day)

. I think should we just go ahead and see what room rates and availability are like in the Creston, new Denver area on the 1st weekend in july starting on the Friday night July3rd 2009. Is that ok with everyone, we can contact dlbcal and see if he will round up prices and see if it is feasible for what we want to do.

How about Riding the Rockies Rally,

or Cooking in the kokanees, it is an eating club with a riding disorder after all..lol!

Brian

Its seems more and more that if we need a long weekend we are out of luck as we run into the intl rally in Aug and it could be too late by labour day.( plus a lot of members from man and sask go to PIP on labour day)

. I think should we just go ahead and see what room rates and availability are like in the Creston, new Denver area on the 1st weekend in july starting on the Friday night July3rd 2009. Is that ok with everyone, we can contact dlbcal and see if he will round up prices and see if it is feasible for what we want to do.

or Cooking in the kokanees, it is an eating club with a riding disorder after all..lol!

Brian

1st weekend in July works for me. Cookin' in the Kokanees sounds good.

Doug

Brian

I'd be glad to do a little research into rates etc. This week is a little bit hectic but if the middle of next week is ok I'll flesh out the points of interest, routes, accommodation etc.

I'll call a few of the motels and see what kind of a rate break, if any we can get.

Add this one to your ride calendars folks. I guarantee if you don't come once you see the pictures you'll be kicking yourself for not joining in.

My apologies for posting this off topic note.

A few days back one of the group sent me a private message asking for the name of the Venture guy here in Calgary who has an extensive collection of used parts.

Yes I do know who this is and can provide you with his phone number, but I may have screwed up in trying to reply to you and my reply might not have made it to you.

Send me a PM again and I will see if I can do it right this time.

Don

• 3 months later...

I have been busy over the Christmas season but now its time to get to work and see what we can stir up. I will go over what we have so far, and make some calls, and send DBLCAL a message to see if he has gotten any onfo on the area.

I will also review details about timing and repost everything to condense it all

Most of us Canucks are off on July 1st so it could be a good travel day .So it looks like we could ride on Thursday july 2nd, Friday July3rd and Sat July 4th with everyone leaving for home Sunday July 5th.

I will check tomorrow for rates and accomodations in New Denver and the Valhalla, as well as a few other places for pricing.

PS How does Kruising in the Kokanees sound for a name?

Brian

Edited by friesman