IGNORED

Stebel Horn Hookup help plz.

Guest Dandy1

I found that out the hard way. I could not figure out how to hook up the relay so I ran wires dirrect to the battery. IT WORKED FINE! Scared the heck out of me and my buddy. The stock horn has 2 wires and both show hot with a test light but when you push the horn button one of them goes out. I tried every way to hook it up but nothing worked. Thanks to you'all I think I got it figured out now.

Here is another deal.

I have had this horn mounted for about 4 months and just unplugged the stock horn and plugged the stock wires into the Stebel horn and it worked but never seemed to be all that loud. After running it direct from the battery to test the horn there is definitly a big difference in the loudness. While I was in Eureka Springs this last weekend we were talking about the Stebel horn and I asked if I need to install the horn relay and I was told I needed it so I don't wear out the horn button from the extra load. Thats what got me working on this project.

Thanks for the help,

Danny

I found that out the hard way. I could not figure out how to hook up the relay so I ran wires dirrect to the battery. IT WORKED FINE! Scared the heck out of me and my buddy. The stock horn has 2 wires and both show hot with a test light but when you push the horn button one of them goes out. I tried every way to hook it up but nothing worked. Thanks to you'all I think I got it figured out now.

Here is another deal.

I have had this horn mounted for about 4 months and just unplugged the stock horn and plugged the stock wires into the Stebel horn and it worked but never seemed to be all that loud. After running it direct from the battery to test the horn there is definitly a big difference in the loudness. While I was in Eureka Springs this last weekend we were talking about the Stebel horn and I asked if I need to install the horn relay and I was told I needed it so I don't wear out the horn button from the extra load. Thats what got me working on this project.

Thanks for the help,

Danny

I don't think the main issue is wearing out the horn button. What the relay does is allows more power to get to the horn allowing it to reach full volume. There is less loss of current when bypassing the horn button.-Jack

I don't think the main issue is wearing out the horn button. What the relay does is allows more power to get to the horn allowing it to reach full volume. There is less loss of current when bypassing the horn button.-Jack

The limiting factor here is the small size of the wires for the original horn. They are not of sufficient size to allow the motor to operate correctly. If you had a voltage guage hooked up to your bike (like 1st gens do!!!!), even with the relay you would see a significant drop in voltage when the horn is activated.

The bigger the wire run from the battery to the horn (18 guage minimum) the easier it will operate and the less the drain from your electrical system.

The reason you saw your test light show power on both original horn wires is because they made the "+" (hot) wire unswitched and then switched the ground to the horn.

Hope this helps you understand how it works,

Dan