IGNORED

Bike Shopping

Guest WestTex

Guest WestTex

I am in the market for a touring bike and have the opportunity to purchase a low mileage 2003 Venture. Is there anything I should know about this particular model year or marque? The bike is fully loaded and sounds like a great deal. Any gotchas for the 2003s?

IT'S ONLY FAIR THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT THE 2003 RSV IS THE FASTEST:cool10:OF ALL THE YEARS MADE TO DATE.

OK HERE WE GO!!!!!:stirthepot::whistling::witch_brew::sign bring it on:

BTW - Universally recognized as the BEST LOOKING Venture as well. My wife's ONLY acceptable ride and my fave for a long tour - especially 2 up. If you want to fly for a couple hundred miles or less alone - then I'll pick the 1st gen (Blonde, Red-head or some custom color).

Guest WestTex

OK, If you chase some of these other threads it sounds like I should have asked the question is there anything right about the Venture. The list of potential things was extensive but sounds like nothing maintenance and a good dealer couldn't overcome. I am not dissuaded only over analysis can likely keep me from this. This is a fully loaded 2003 that has less miles than my 2006 FJR. I am going to test drive it on Saturday. I appreciate the input. I have permisson from the finance committee (wife) and I have already made space in the garage....

Use of the Royal Star V-4's can be addictive. Before starting any new riding regimen you should always consult a physician. Most side effects have been limited to uncontrollable grinning, withdrawl from the use of other vehicles, an obsessive desire for great weather, an increase in the need to buy gasoline in quantities below 6 gallons. Should you experience any of these symptoms it is probably too late for you because you have already bought the bike.

It's a great bike, however, they do have 1 major flaw. Many of them have a terrible whine called here a "clutch chirp". There is only a partial cure from what I've discovered. Check that bike out and see if it has it and if so if it's something you can live with.

Steve

OK, If you chase some of these other threads it sounds like I should have asked the question is there anything right about the Venture. The list of potential things was extensive but sounds like nothing maintenance and a good dealer couldn't overcome. I am not dissuaded only over analysis can likely keep me from this. This is a fully loaded 2003 that has less miles than my 2006 FJR. I am going to test drive it on Saturday. I appreciate the input. I have permisson from the finance committee (wife) and I have already made space in the garage....

Well, Mr. WestTex, careful not to over react to the niggling information we share among ourselves. This bike is a fantastic machine. Yes, there are a few relatively minor weak points, as every bike ever made has, but in my opinion, the known issues with the RSV are far less significant than the major issues with the other big tourers.

The most significant to your potential enjoyment would be the engine whine that some have (and only a relatively few "some"). Make sure you test ride it for a minimum of 20 miles, including highway speeds. If you aren't irritated, then you have nothing to worry about for the whine. If the bike has it, it will bite you quick, else it is not cursed.

As a 2003, you still have warranty left, so all of the other potential things are not really significant.

The good stuff? This bike will eat the miles with the best of them! Fantastically comfortable; in fact, the ONLY option IMHO if you are tall (I'm 6'5"). This machine is tremendously reliable, looks better than just about anything else, and is dirt cheap by comparison with most. Buy it and ride the snot out of it. Good luck,

Goose

BTW - if you decide against it, let me know; I think the 03 is the most beautiful of all the RSVs. For a good enough deal, I'd happily pick it up and sell my 05! I've only got 35,000 miles on QuickSilver, but I lust after that Raspberry and Sand paint.

It's funny, but I've always had a couple bikes in my garage, and I've loved every one of em! The Harley's were always for riding the runs and meets, the Triumphs were always for me by myself, and the rice burners were always for work. I was always proud of the Harley's, the feeling of riding into Hanford, Tulare, Dire Nevada, Redwood, Sturgis, or even Laughlin on a Harley will never be forgotten, never a problem with the bike. The newer Triumphs, never a problem, and a blast in the twistys, and I'm the only one to have one in this neighborhood. Then I met the Venture...Robin rides with me again! The V-4 motor, awesome! The look...I turn back for one last look before I put her up every night! When I first picked her up, I was afraid I made a mistake...I had a V-4 motor I never had experienced before, a different sound, a different "feel". I put 600 miles on her the first week so I could dump and replace the fluids to go on a trip to Susanville, Yosemite, Lassen park. In the first 2 weeks I had the Venture, I put over 3000 miles 2 up. This bike is engineered in a way Harley will never be. The first time I did any maintenance, changing the tires, lubing the drive shaft and splines, just putting the bike up in a lift, I was stunned!!! If anything, this bike is over engineered . If you are looking for something that does not follow the flock, a well kept secret, something that will call on you to ride every moment for the rest of your life, buy the Venture. Screw the whine, put louder pipes on her, turn up the stereo and set the cruise control for 80 miles per hour and ride. Can you tell, I love this ride? I'm sure I will always have a couple bikes in the garage, maybe even another Harley, but for me, there will always be a Venture. This ride is for me, nobody else, and I am now as proud of this bike as any I have ever owned.