IGNORED

Maiden SVTC voyage (finally!)

Yoopermoose

105 miles in today on a 55 degree day. Initial thoughts compared to the 2012 HD Ultra 103 that I had previously:

Handles way,way,way more responsive,much better balance, much better slow speed maneuvering. Sure park makes parking on an incline with sand on the road a breeze

I’m 5’10” with a 31 inch inseam, I don’t think I’ll need Highway pegs, had enough room on the boards to stretch out.

Seat was initially uncomfortable around 30 miles, got off to gas up and the remaining 75 were comfy. I think with my AirHawk the seat will be fine.

Loved the low seat height and the low COG. Every stop I caught myself smiling.

With the lower wings installed, this is the warmest, most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden. I’m actually looking forward to trying out in a rainstorm.

Sound system is awesome

I’ll need to lower the bars a little, at least on this bike I can.

Only irritation was not having gear indication at a stop.

Adding a pic of the Showchrome trailer hitch installation, which fit well after spreading the top frame mount arms a tad.

Can’t wait to get beyond break in, 2400RPM is boring.IMG_0002.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

105 miles in today on a 55 degree day. Initial thoughts compared to the 2012 HD Ultra 103 that I had previously:

Handles way,way,way more responsive,much better balance, much better slow speed maneuvering. Sure park makes parking on an incline with sand on the road a breeze

I’m 5’10” with a 31 inch inseam, I don’t think I’ll need Highway pegs, had enough room on the boards to stretch out.

Seat was initially uncomfortable around 30 miles, got off to gas up and the remaining 75 were comfy. I think with my AirHawk the seat will be fine.

With the lower wings installed, this is the warmest, most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden. I’m actually looking forward to trying out in a rainstorm.

Sound system is awesome

Adding a pic of the Showchrome trailer hitch installation, which fit well after spreading the top frame mount arms a tad.

Can’t wait to get beyond break in, 2400RPM is boring.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112365

You still have a ways to go. Can’t go above 3500 rpm till after 1k miles. I was curious at the 1,200 mike mark about the torque. I was rolling along slow in 1st in TOURING mode and romped on it and it to me was plain frightening. I haven’t had the courage to try it in SPORT mode!

Glad to see you got the trailer hitch. Pretty easy install and not expensive, $189. Have you already installed the wiring harness?

Just an FYI: the infotainment system has a backup camera interface function built in. I’m in communication with Yamaha to confirm connection location and type of connector utilized. The Service Manual isn’t definitive. Will let you know when I find out. The backup camera can be engaged when NOT in reverse, ie..Your towing and wanna check on your rig without having to turn around or pull over. Just flip the rear camera function on and viola! I LOVE the technology on this bike!!

Sound system is awesome

Can’t wait to get beyond break in, 2400RPM is boring.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112365

You still have a ways to go. Can’t go above 3500 rpm till after 1k miles. I was curious at the 1,200 mike mark about the torque. I was rolling along slow in 1st in TOURING mode and romped on it and it to me was plain frightening. I haven’t had the courage to try it in SPORT mode!

Glad to see you got the trailer hitch. Pretty easy install and not expensive, $189. Have you already installed the wiring harness?

Just an FYI: the infotainment system has a backup camera interface function built in. I’m in communication with Yamaha to confirm connection location and type of connector utilized. The Service Manual isn’t definitive. Will let you know when I find out. The backup camera can be engaged when NOT in reverse, ie..Your towing and wanna check on your rig without having to turn around or pull over. Just flip the rear camera function on and viola! I LOVE the technology on this bike!!

Gunner, I have an electronic isolation package coming along with a 5-4 converter for the wiring. Picking up my service manual on Monday. Was hoping the manual was clear concerning the rear camera. I’m with you, I’d like to be able to switch the rear camera on just for a look see at the trailer. Did you have any luck wiring the upper trunk light to have brake function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound system is awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Highway Star'..now THAT is classy! Top Hat....

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Looking GREAT there Yoop = congrats on finally gettin a chance to put a few miles on your new baby and to all of us here in Michigan - both Yooopers and Trolls on finally catching Fool asleep at the Wisconsin Whiter Washer controls:thumbsup:!!!

Your mentioning getting ready to adjust your handlebars brought a :scared: to my face and put an urgent possible warning upon my lips... My brother out in California ( @VentureFar ) who is also a member here, did a quick adjust on one of the new ones and learned the hard way how easy it is to have an ahhhh ohhhh moment... I cant remember which bike it was on (he was testing both of them as a Moto Journalist) but I do know (because he told me so) that extreme carefulness needed to be applied when adjusting the bars.. Lets see if he responds here before you loosen up the bars and maybe would share some "what to do/not to do" wisdom herein.....

Sounds/looks like you are headed into a GREAT CTFW season Yoop!!! CONGRATS!!

Keep an eye on the Water Hole for an upcoming Hot Dog outing down below... If you see the letters "MGnEM" herein,, being from Michigan with a new bike = a short trip for all you can eat 1/4 pound Hot Dogs is a must do!!!:missingtooth:

Matter of fact,, if your interested in doing such a thing,,, let me know and I will talk to my staff and see if we cant set something up in the Northern Southern part of Michigan :big-grin-emoticon:

Puc

Sound system is awesome

I didn't even know this feature was even on the SVTC. What other bike has that? I've never even heard of such a thing upon a bike...wow...Like I said in another post...this bike takes the whole kitchen with you...so you don't need to rip out the sink and pack it...lol. Amazing....

Looking GREAT there Yoop = congrats on finally gettin a chance to put a few miles on your new baby and to all of us here in Michigan - both Yooopers and Trolls on finally catching Fool asleep at the Wisconsin Whiter Washer controls:thumbsup:!!!

Your mentioning getting ready to adjust your handlebars brought a :scared: to my face and put an urgent possible warning upon my lips... My brother out in California ( VentureFar ) who is also a member here, did a quick adjust on one of the new ones and learned the hard way how easy it is to have an ahhhh ohhhh moment... I cant remember which bike it was on (he was testing both of them as a Moto Journalist) but I do know (because he told me so) that extreme carefulness needed to be applied when adjusting the bars.. Lets see if he responds here before you loosen up the bars and maybe would share some "what to do/not to do" wisdom herein.....

Keep an eye on the Water Hole for an upcoming Hot Dog outing down below... If you see the letters "MGnEM" herein,, being from Michigan with a new bike = a short trip for all you can eat 1/4 pound Hot Dogs is a must do!!!:missingtooth:

Matter of fact,, if your interested in doing such a thing,,, let me know and I will talk to my staff and see if we cant set something up in the Northern Southern part of Michigan :big-grin-emoticon:

Puc

I guess that it would be a two person affair? You hold your bars to the height and angle you want (securely)...and then somebody else re-torques the hold down bolts? I might have to do that with my wife as the re and re gal.

Gunner, I have an electronic isolation package coming along with a 5-4 converter for the wiring. Picking up my service manual on Monday. Was hoping the manual was clear concerning the rear camera. I’m with you, I’d like to be able to switch the rear camera on just for a look see at the trailer. Did you have any luck wiring the upper trunk light to have brake function?

Upper trunk already HAS brake light function. When brakes applied upper and lower lights BOTH come on. If they don’t, you have an issue. The saddlebag lights are what I’m after. They currently function ONLY as running and turn signal. I want them ALSO to work as brake lights so that the whole back end lights up at a stop. I’ve already helped my visibility by adding the led package which ALSO has a brake tie in. No matter what color I’m running, they ALL go red when I hit my brakes! Kinda hard to miss that at night!

P.S. From what I can discern in the Manual, the connection for the camera is up near the head unit located under the front portion of the gas tank. This does not make sense to me since the alarm system, keyfob system and other stuff is located behind the D/S saddlebag. WHY would not put the connection there NEAR where the camera would install instead of all the way up forward. Hence my confirmation call to Yamaha. I want to know where and what BEFORE I tear stuff apart so I have proper parts IN HAND FIRST!

Edited by ChiefGunner

Your mentioning getting ready to adjust your handlebars brought a :scared: to my face and put an urgent possible warning upon my lips... My brother out in California ( @VentureFar ) who is also a member here, did a quick adjust on one of the new ones and learned the hard way how easy it is to have an ahhhh ohhhh moment... I cant remember which bike it was on (he was testing both of them as a Moto Journalist) but I do know (because he told me so) that extreme carefulness needed to be applied when adjusting the bars.. Lets see if he responds here before you loosen up the bars and maybe would share some "what to do/not to do" wisdom herein.....

Puc

Thanks for the warning Puc, I remembered it from a previous post to cradle the tank w blankets. I’d be honored to join you downstate. Time is tight however, taking off June 6th to Redrocks, SWUtah, Phoenix, Reno then pacific coast highway up to Baniff, Glacier, Beartooth, Rushmore, Badlands and home sometime in July. Gonna break her in right!

Thanks for the warning Puc, I remembered it from a previous post to cradle the tank w blankets. I’d be honored to join you downstate. Time is tight however, taking off June 6th to Redrocks, SWUtah, Phoenix, Reno then pacific coast highway up to Baniff, Glacier, Beartooth, Rushmore, Badlands and home sometime in July. Gonna break her in right!

DANG Yooper! I wanna hang with you dude!! What a ride!

How Long do you anticipate this taking? Hotels, camping or combination thereof? Do you already have your trailer?

DANG Yooper! I wanna hang with you dude!! What a ride!

How Long do you anticipate this taking? Hotels, camping or combination thereof? Do you already have your trailer?

Six weeks or so, going with a buddy on his new StreetGlide. We are planning on camping where we should be camping and motel hits when weather dictates. I’m on the fence bringing the trailer (Lumina XL) too many great biking roads to be worrying about the trailer. Besides the Missus is staying home working to pay the bike payments so I should have enough room.

Very important to put about 4” of padding on the tank if you are going to adjust the bars on the eluder or the venture

Trust me!

VentureFar...

What about if the rider was holding both grips..and somebody else loosened off the hold down...then you move it up or down to your position...and they immediately, properly torque the nuts down. Would that work...or is the whole handlebar so heavy, it could slip out of your hands once loosened and chance strike the tank?

What about if the rider was holding both grips..and somebody else loosened off the hold down...then you move it up or down to your position...and they immediately, properly torque the nuts down. Would that work...or is the whole handlebar so heavy, it could slip out of your hands once loosened and chance strike the tank?
I laid a soft blanket across the tank while adjusting my bars, but it wasn't needed. loosen the bolts just barely enough that bar doesn't crash down under its own weight, but can be moved up or down with a little pressure from you.

One person job this way. At least it worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I laid a soft blanket across the tank while adjusting my bars, but it wasn't needed. loosen the bolts just barely enough that bar doesn't crash down under its own weight, but can be moved up or down with a little pressure from you.

One person job this way. At least it worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. That is how I figured it would go down...as you say, or by means of two..as my alternative. I just didn't' understand why someone would loosen off the bar clamp so much, that the handle bars would free-fall by its own weight, to strike upon the tank. I just would never, and have never loosened off a clamp (like the handlebar clamp) to have that chance happen. That's what I am going to do then...merely and slowly back off the torque, until you can tap, it down or up into your personal preference, and then torque wrench the clamp to specs. I'm still going to place mechanic's pads on top of the tank...for due diligence...but don't expect to have to use them as a 'whoa...that was close!' moment. :)

Thanks

I think the idea of a second person holding up the bars is great but what if that person has stinging wasp fly up their pant leg? Aren’t you going to wish you put padding over the tank?

The dent it makes is really ugly...

VentureFar...

Yep. Don't use the wrench in your hand to swat at wasp's.

BTW Yooper...with your 150 miles sojourn in...what's your personal take on the rear cylinder exhaust temperature when riding? Yours, or your co-riders? Did it affect either of you, or your enjoyment factor?

Hey Guys, I've started a thread in TECH TALK about the heat issues so everyone can chime in on a specific thread regarding it.

I think the idea of a second person holding up the bars is great but what if that person has stinging wasp fly up their pant leg? Aren’t you going to wish you put padding over the tank?

The dent it makes is really ugly...

VentureFar...

:hihi: a wasp,,, :rotf: up his pant leg :rotf: right at the exact moment that he loosens the last bolt holding the handlebar on the perch :rotf:,,,, that right there is a Murphy classic if there ever was one brother = you and I DEFINITELY are related :guitarist 2:

Seriously you guys,,, you might wanna listen to VentureFar's here and cover that gorgeous tank BEFORE doing any work up top - I hear tell there are wasp's found in ALL of North America :happy34: and besides,, what can it take - all of an additional 15 seconds to toss a cover on it???? Unreal :rotf: