IGNORED

Side stand switch

Thanks ..... just purchased a '99 RSV and reside in London, ON, Canada.

** Not sure if this is where to Post my problems ... but here goes ... I had it in for it's Safety Insp yesterday and it needs a Clutch Switch & a Sidestand Switch. I purchased a Used Sidestand switch today and am just trying to figure out where in plugs into on the Bike. I'm taking the Clutch switch in to the Salvage Guys tomorrow to match up another one and hopefully that will solve that problem.

I'm hoping that I can just put on the "New" (Used) Sidestand switch and if I find the Plug-in on the Bike ... plug it in a I'll be good to go. Hoping that whoever before has not jumped wires anywhere ... as it seems funny that that original Switch is there .... but no wire lead coming out of it and the Bike runs fine with the Stand up or down ?? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum ! Several members in the SW Ontario area.

Posts with technical questions can go in the 2nd Gen Tech Talk section - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forum9/. Posting in the correct area will increase your answers.

When you say the bike runs fine with stand up or down... does it stall if you have the stand down and put it in gear?

It runs fine ... with the stand up or down .... I found a switch and just have to replace the existing old one that is still on the bike (however the wires and plug are missing) ..... just need to find the empty plug which I've been told is up in the left lower fairing area.

I did get the clutch switch working .... upon further investigation I found that one of the 4 pins was bent and flattened out on the inside of the switch ... I gently put it back in place and all 4 now connect into the plug and the switch works fine .... so we are good to go there .... fingers crossed that when I put the 'New' sidestand switch on and plug it in, that it works as well and the Safety Insp will be signed off !!! Now if Winter would just exit stage left .... I could carry on with bonding with this Bike !!!!

Is the side stand switch required for the safety inspection in Ontario? Some bikes (H-Ds) don't have that safety feature as stock. It's a good thing to have to protect you from a 'duh moment' if nothing else.. In N.S. we have to have our vehicles safety inspected every two year, I'll have to check if that's also part of our check list of items.

Probably not looking for an empty connector. Likely PO cut the 2 wires from the old side stand switch and spliced them together with some kind of connector or tape. This would have you looking for a plugged in connector with 2 wires connected together. Also possible the connector was completely cut off, and you are looking for 2 wires spliced together. Wire colors are blue/white stripe, and black. Should be tucked up fairly close to switch area. Maybe someone can post a pic of RSV side stand switch connector