IGNORED

Don't Use Cheap Fuses!!!

RidingArk

I blew a couple of fuses which go to the radiator fan over the course of three weeks or so. I came up with some time to investigate the reason for blowing these fuses, and I also had a new package of assorted fuses. A fuse is a fuse right? I found them while visiting one of those cheap Chinese tool establishments. A whole package of 20 fuses for just a couple of bucks! Anyway, I plugged a fresh new 10 amp in, turned on the key and proceeded into my shop to retrieve my meter to do a little resistance checking. As I turned and walked toward my sweet '86 now parked in the driveway, I saw a mushroom shaped plume of smoke rising from my bike. I screamed to my bike, turned off the ignition and looked to see if I needed to grab a water hose. The smoke cleared and it was evident whatever was burning had stopped. First thing I checked was the fresh new fuse I had just installed. The freakin' plastic surrounding the element was melted away but the metal element was as good as new. Heck, I could've looped a piece of clothes hanger and got that result! Anyway, after tearing apart the wiring harness, replacing all the fried wiring which was now just strands of charred copper and melted insulation, I went to NAPA and bought good fuses. It's been three weeks with no new burned fuses and the fan works great. Lesson learned. Maybe this post will save you from the same experience.

• 4 weeks later...