IGNORED

Intermittent Radio Channel Selection

This started today, not sure if it's weather related or not.. muggy, a wee sprinkling of rain on the bike today.

Whilst riding the bike, I use the up/down buttons to go through the preselected channels.. all worked fine until today when it started to be non-responsive.. It wouldn't change channels at all.. But after a few mins it would work ok.

When to problem occurs, the "band" number (upper left FM1, FM2 etc) would show as normal but the channel number (lower left) doesn't appear, just the channel itself..

Is this a common problem with a common fix??

Cheers

I don't have an answer for you but mine did the same thing last year while in Colorado. Eileen and I got caught in some very heavy rain one day and that is when it happened to me. I had actually forgotten about it. I had every intention of trying to open it up and run a bead of silicone or something around it to ensure that it is sealed good. After we got out of the rain and things dried up, it worked fine and hasn't happened since.

I don't have an answer for you but mine did the same thing last year while in Colorado. Eileen and I got caught in some very heavy rain one day and that is when it happened to me. I had actually forgotten about it. I had every intention of trying to open it up and run a bead of silicone or something around it to ensure that it is sealed good. After we got out of the rain and things dried up, it worked fine and hasn't happened since.

Thanks M8.. I was hoping this had happened to someone before.. the bike has been sitting out in the weather for a day so most probably caught some condensation inside.. hopefully that's all there is to it..

Cheers

If it doesn't solve itself, there is a plug connector under the left faring that may be coming loose. It usually just needs to taken apart, greased with dielectric grease and put back together, While you're there do whatever other connectors you might find.

If it doesn't solve itself, there is a plug connector under the left faring that may be coming loose. It usually just needs to taken apart, greased with dielectric grease and put back together, While you're there do whatever other connectors you might find.

That's an idea.. we did have the fairing off to redo some shoddy wiring work, things might have come 'loose-ish'

What a fantastic site for ideas and advice..

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...
Thanks M8.. I was hoping this had happened to someone before.. the bike has been sitting out in the weather for a day so most probably caught some condensation inside.. hopefully that's all there is to it..

Cheers

See my article on Dec 2010 concerning the audio system called, Audio totally Dead. DanC:dancefool:

Guest scarylarry

+1 on every connection...

Mine began having the same problem intermittently. It only occurs when it is cold, less than 40 degrees. The display will dim, the buttons will become unresponsive, the volume always works. This happened on my '04 and the radio control head was replaced under warranty and they have a controller on order now for my '07. Gotta love that 5 year warranty.

Dennis

Mine began having the same problem intermittently. It only occurs when it is cold, less than 40 degrees. The display will dim, the buttons will become unresponsive, the volume always works. This happened on my '04 and the radio control head was replaced under warranty and they have a controller on order now for my '07. Gotta love that 5 year warranty.

Dennis

I've had that happen to me several times and found that to finally resolve the issue, the plug coming from the controller (blue banded one I believe?) wasn't seating properly all the time and breaking contact enough to cause issues.

I was able to resolve all my issues by making a buckshee clamping system out of 4 zip ties. Wrap one around each end of the plugs and another two zip ties pulling those two rings together.. it solved all my radio problems..

This started today, not sure if it's weather related or not.. muggy, a wee sprinkling of rain on the bike today.

Whilst riding the bike, I use the up/down buttons to go through the preselected channels.. all worked fine until today when it started to be non-responsive.. It wouldn't change channels at all.. But after a few mins it would work ok.

When to problem occurs, the "band" number (upper left FM1, FM2 etc) would show as normal but the channel number (lower left) doesn't appear, just the channel itself..

Is this a common problem with a common fix??

Cheers

Please see my article on audio as mine started out with the same problem that you are having. Look under audio. Dan