IGNORED

BEST OIL LEVEL FOR THE XVZ1200

larrydr

I have what sounds like transmission gear chatter on my 1983 XVZ1200 ...When I advance the gear shift lever on the down shift position toward 1rst gear the gear chatter goes away ... When shifted the bike into gear the chatter is gone ...I had the bike sitting storage for 3 months , and when I went to move it to my shop to put it up on the lift I noticed a rather larger puddle of oil under the bike ...I needed to run the bike to get it back far side of the shop .. I added 2 litres of oil to the engine to be on the safe side of enough oil to run the engine .   With the higher oil level in the engine the gear chatter was gone ...With fresh oil change and 5 litres of oil in the engine the gear chatter is completely gone.. WHEN IS THERE TO MUCH OIL IN THE ENGINE ??     

I have done more engines in my lifetime than I can count...Anything from a Kenworth Diesel down the Honda 50cc engine .. I will try adding a 3/4 vent line down to centre stand and then keep and eye on it ....A friend of mine has a complete engine low miles great condition , I just thinking of avoiding labour involved in doing the work .

Edited by larrydr

Put it on the center stand.  Look at the site glass.  Keep it below the high mark.  I use Shell Rotella basic 15-40, and never have any problems. I have an 83 as well.  I'm not positive, (I'm American), but I think 5 liters is way too much, I think you should be under 4 liters actually. You will cause other issues with it overfilled. 

Actually even at the high mark is to much oil. If the oil is above the half way on the sight glass, you will end up with oil in the air cleaner that will drip onto the engine and then to the ground. Your oil puddle could have easily been caused buy to much oil in the engine. 5L is way to much oil. A normal oil and filter change will take about 3.75 US quarts (3.54 liters). A complete oil change will take 4 US quarts (3.75 liters). I never go by the amount I put in, just fill to the middle of the sight glass, run the engine to get the air out of all the oil lines, shut down, give it a few minutes for the oil to drain back down, and top back up to the middle of the sight glass.

• Like 1

I have been told to pull the engine because of the gear chatter in the transmission ...

I normally would never over fill the engine , but he overfill did stop the gear noise and vibration inside the transmission .

I have been servicing bike engines since 1964 , and have never seen a overfill quiet down internal noise .

Well I guess you can pull the engine, but what I've seen over the years on this website is, the oil and oil level is pretty finicky.  If it were me, I would drain the oil, buy a filter, buy the generic Shell Rotella oil, replace, and put the proper amount in.  I can tell when I'm close to needing an oil change just by the way the engine and clutch interact.