IGNORED

timing out???

Guest byts

I haven't posted to much, but what a great site. I would like to thank everyone for the info that I have received already by reading previous threads.

But to my problem. My 84's timing is out of the marks, and can't find any way to adjust it back. Looked through all manuals that i could find, and read what i could on this site, but couldn't find where to go!

Any help at all would be great!! everything else is ready for my 10,000k trip in july except this.

How come, you think the Timing is off ??

There is nothing to adjust the Timing. If you check the the Marks on the Flywheel using a Timing Light, make sure you hook up Cylinder #1, which is the left rear Cylinder when sitting in the Bike.

If there's something wrong with your Bike, bad starting, bad Mileage, knocking or whatelse, you need to dig into the Ignition System. There is a Vacuum Sensor hooked up to the front left Cylinder #2, check the Hose for Leaks and the Connector for bad Contact. You could check the Wires from the TCI to the Sensor for Continuity and according to the Manual for Output Voltage.

Guest byts

I had the timing light to cyl#1 and it did show it was out but not by much i might add. i had already repair the bad vacuum lines but I will check the readings just to make sure.

It does knock a bit when it is warmed up but only in neutral.

The milage is not as good as it could be 12.5 liter per 100 km. Should be more like 20lper?

Yes make sure you are on the #1 cylinder wire.

Since the pickups for signalling the TCI to fire are looking at the crank mounted rotor....about the only things that could throw it out are misaligned pickup coils or the TCI.

Any recent work done on the stator vicinity?

Was the TCI changed? If an 83 TCI box was used I can see a possible timing problem, since the vacuum source was different on the pressure sensor.

12.5 Liter/100km is a bit steep, at least, i'd say. Check your Vaccuum Sensor.

You could undo the Hose with the Motor running on Idle and sucking on the Hose with a MightyVac or your Mouth. The Idle should change, so should the Timing start to show Difference.

Guest byts

The only recent work done other than fluids, was yesterday when I stalled in mid traffic!! the ignition fuse clips were weak and broke, fixed it with a straw and elec. tape. fixed it with new clips this morning. It does run better now.

This evening i will try the sensor testing on #2.

Guest byts

You could undo the Hose with the Motor running on Idle and sucking on the Hose with a MightyVac or your Mouth.

Well... did as you suggested and, nothing! The idle did not increase. the only difference was when I plugged the line to the carb, it started knocking. When I released it ran without knocking.

Best thing? Change the sensor? and how much would that unit be?

Again thanks greatly, this info would be hard to find without riders like you's!!:63:

ON my 86 I checked the timing as well and it was slightly off, but I think it was related to the RPM, and the vaccum.

IT was not off much but if you crack the throttle and see it move, then it should be okay. Gas mileage is a big part of how you drive. Major difference running at 80 km/hour to 120.

Brad

Do you know if the TCI has ever been Remove, and opened, and had Moisture Dried out ???

If not, You should remove it, open case, put in oven at about 110 deg. F for couple of hours. Also, Resolder the Plug Pins to the Circuit Board. The solder joints crack there. And clean up the Pins of the TCI and Its Plugs.

Also, the pick up coils have 5 wire cable running up to the 6 pin plug of the TCI, about half way en route, there is a pull apart plug. Open this, and Clean the Pins.

Its a common trouble Spot. Plugs go High Resistance.

You could undo the Hose with the Motor running on Idle and sucking on the Hose with a MightyVac or your Mouth.

Well... did as you suggested and, nothing! The idle did not increase. the only difference was when I plugged the line to the carb, it started knocking. When I released it ran without knocking.

Best thing? Change the sensor? and how much would that unit be?

Again thanks greatly, this info would be hard to find without riders like you's!!:63:

Best Thing would check the Sensor for it's electrical Function. The Procedure is stated in the Manual. If you haven't got a Manual right now, you can find the Links to downoad it here in the 1Gen Tech Section. A Member is providing the pdf File.

The Change in Knocking could also be just the the Lack of Air when closing the the Vacuum Port with the Hose.

Guest byts
Do you know if the TCI has ever been Remove, and opened, and had Moisture Dried out ???

If not, You should remove it, open case, put in oven at about 110 deg. F for couple of hours. Also, Resolder the Plug Pins to the Circuit Board. The solder joints crack there. And clean up the Pins of the TCI and Its Plugs.

Also, the pick up coils have 5 wire cable running up to the 6 pin plug of the TCI, about half way en route, there is a pull apart plug. Open this, and Clean the Pins.

Its a common trouble Spot. Plugs go High Resistance.

I did run through 30 miles of heavy ran last week. Tried starting her the next morning, acted like it flooded( had to take the westfalia to work ).

It's raining today, so I will have the chance to try all that is suggested.

Is the sensor some what serviceable is in just a good cleaning or is it something that would have to be replaced if the multi-meter says all is OK?

• 7 years later...

I know this isn an old thread and I'll post elsewhere. but my '84 xvz12 won't rev past 2500rpm and the timing isn't advancing. It backfires out the carbs. (this bike was sitting for a while and dead when I bought it). I tested the vacuum sensor and it was 2.3v at standstill but wouldn't go below 1V with up to 26in HG vacuum. One interesting thing was the voltage source to the sensor was 2V lower than my battery (which was only about 12V running). I've been working on clearing this problem for a little while (already did plugs and fuel and carb cleaning) and during that I have tried the bike with a good battery and it was backfiring the same when reving it. It idles very smoothly. I'll try it today with my truck battery (since I haven't tried it with a good battery since the carb cleaning) but suspect I'll find the same thing and that my problem is electrical with the timing advance and TCI and that low pressure sensor voltage.. does anyone know where that connector is between the pick up coils and the TCI?

Oh, and I did replace the pressure sensor with an ebay used part and this part goes to 0.8V at 26 in HG vacuum. And with both sensors, I tried jumpering the sensor supply voltage to the + batter to get full voltage and that made no difference in the signal output voltage,,.