IGNORED

Looking at a 93 in blue

gmarshall

Someone will point ya to the thread, but the issues I'm aware of are second gear issues on the early models, shouldn't be an issue for you.....may want to put a heavier clutch spring on or double up the existing spring...that makes a world of difference when you want to goose it a bit......may want to think about putting a V-Max starter on it....they turn VERY slow when hot.....mine does it, but it always starts.....some folks will tell you to upgrade the cables to the starter but I'm not sold on the success of that....some folks have issues with the TCI box, so I had purchased an upgraded box, but had never installed it....valve cover oil seepage is common on a bike that old....the board that controls the instrument panel may need re-soldered....mine has some issues but I've never gotten into that yet...some bikes have a weak kickstand....I think it can break at the frame if overstressed.

I think the worst problem is the excessive speed....if you ride aggressively you may break the speed of sound at which point those in front of you can't hear ya coming....especially since Blue IS the fastest color for the first gens.

The Venture, either first or second gen gives great bang for the buck, and seem to be one of the best buys you can get on older bikes.

IMHO:2cents:

I searched for a post but couldn't find one. Things I can think of are generic stuff such as leaking clutch slave cylinder, leaking fork seals, noisy speedometer, and I suggest taking an infrared thermometer with you to check the exhaust pipe temperatures to verify if it is running on all 4 cylinders. Check the tire dates and if they are old, that may be a bargaining chip.

The 93 has very few problems other then typical age and long term storage issues. No second gear issues. Surprising again to see another low mileage bike again? You mentioned replaced engine Hmmm what is the reading on the odometer?

I would want to know more about why the engine was replaced. That is a rare occurrence on these. 1993 is the last year for the First Gen Venture. Was mostly sorted out. The 93 was good blue color as I recall. Darker than the earlier blue ones.

Someone will point ya to the thread, but the issues I'm aware of are second gear issues on the early models,(Fixed in 1985) shouldn't be an issue for you.....may want to put a heavier clutch spring on or double up the existing spring...that makes a world of difference when you want to goose it a bit......may want to think about putting a V-Max starter on it(Not Needed)....they turn VERY slow when hot.....mine does it, but it always starts.....some folks will tell you to upgrade the cables to the starter(well buthis works very but again not needed) but I'm not sold on the success of that....some folks have issues with the TCI box, so I had purchased an upgraded box, but had never installed it....valve cover oil seepage is common on a bike that old....the board that controls the instrument panel(CLASS system not instrument panel.CLASS is the air suspension) may need re-soldered....mine has some issues but I've never gotten into that yet...some bikes have a weak kickstand(Tab on the backside of the kickstand breaks or the shouldered bolt breaks. Drill the hole to one size and put a non shouldered bolt in there)....I think it can break at the frame if overstressed.

I think the worst problem is the excessive speed....if you ride aggressively you may break the speed of sound at which point those in front of you can't hear ya coming....especially since Blue IS the fastest color for the first gens.

The Venture, either first or second gen gives great bang for the buck, and seem to be one of the best buys you can get on older bikes.

IMHO:2cents:

This a great bike.I rode Yamaha V4 for 24 years both generations and loved them. I would still be on one I can't balance it any more,too heavy now.

I am a 'newbie' with a 21K mile (blue is fastest) 84 gen 1.

I needed to grease the speedo head. Replace the front springs (progressive). Use 35mm film on the front seal to rescue a leaking seal. (worked, try it before taking everything apart). I have the 'super slow' starter, but it starts every time (except once really hot in the driveway after a stall)

If you know nothing mechanically, then you are in trouble. But, if you have some common sense, and some mechanical ability….. then it is workable.

(btw.... I am a real newbie.... learned to ride, 62 years old, on a gen 1 venture..... really! No 250cc trainer for me)

I did get stranded with a rusted fuel tank (clogged the reserve, was left on reserve). So, expect a few suprizes until you get the 'rust' off of it. I am having fun. Go for it.

I have spent a little more than it's worth, but... big bike, big ride.

This a great bike.I rode Yamaha V4 for 24 years both generations and loved them. I would still be on one I can't balance it any more,too heavy now.

Well.... I'm 62... new rider, 84 gen1, yes it's top-heavy, and tippy, but.... figure it out. When you are timed out, then quit riding.