IGNORED

The new guy needs carb help

Thanks for the input guys. That's what I was thinking, There has to be some way to run this thing on one carb. Being this is a project (one of too many) I'm going to start with the Holley. Jets, restrictor plate, maybe stuff a rag down one throat, I already have the carb, wonder if a small block chevy would fit under it? If nothing else it should be a learning experience.

I have parts ordered, So keep the ideas coming and THANKS again for all the input!

Thanks for the input guys. That's what I was thinking, There has to be some way to run this thing on one carb. Being this is a project (one of too many) I'm going to start with the Holley. Jets, restrictor plate, maybe stuff a rag down one throat, I already have the carb, wonder if a small block chevy would fit under it? If nothing else it should be a learning experience.

I have parts ordered, So keep the ideas coming and THANKS again for all the input!

I don't think the size of the current carb is necessarily the issue, rather the manifold design is.

Many 1300cc VW engines run with a 300-350 cfm Weber or Solex just fine.

There is a single carb manifold kit for the Venture offered on eBay. Note the manifold design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-VENTURE-XVZ1200-1300-SINGLE-VW-CARBURETOR-CONVERSION-MANIFOLD-KIT-/252185542008?hash=item3ab76dfd78:g:~A0AAOSwFnFWDTq6&vxp=mtr

VW carb manifold 1a.jpgVW carb manifold 1b.jpgVW carb manifold 1c.jpg

I don't think the size of the current carb is necessarily the issue, rather the manifold design is.

Many 1300cc VW engines run with a 300-350 cfm Weber or Solex just fine.

There is a single carb manifold kit for the Venture offered on eBay. Note the manifold design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-VENTURE-XVZ1200-1300-SINGLE-VW-CARBURETOR-CONVERSION-MANIFOLD-KIT-/252185542008?hash=item3ab76dfd78:g:~A0AAOSwFnFWDTq6&vxp=mtr

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102882[/ATTACH]

That is the one that I have seen referred to. Someone on this site tried it and also had issues with low speed performance. But I can not find that post to see what the final result was. It was a long time ago.

the way the plenum looks to be design mimics a tunnel ram type setup, if there was a way to reduce the interior volume of that, with plates or baffles to make it as small as possible you may find your carb adequate for the job.

Another thought is to used a staged 2 barrel like on a 4cyl pinto/mustang/ranger, they will give excellent throttle response up to about 2/3 throttle because the secondary only comes on the last third of travel.

I've been doing the math from Holley and Utube. I think what I'm going to try next is a new power valve. Found an intake and carb setup on Ebay (Thanks Prairie and Flyin) but not ready to spend $500 on a flat spot (too late for that!). I can get the stock carb setup if it comes to that but want to mess with this one first.

Thanks again for all the input.... I know I don't look it, but I am getting smarter :confused07: